Love at First Kite

Affectionately known as The Cawfee Shop. There's no better place to be than in your own coffee shop discussing "whatever" with friends.
tabby

Love at First Kite

Post by tabby »

A great article for kite flying enthusiasts! Some of these kites look like works of art. I had no idea of the grand history behind them. I did a google search to see if there are any kite festivals in Virginia and found a few in locations ranging from the beach all the way to the mountains. I didn't know it was so popular!

Any kite flying aficionados here?

Love at First Kite: How Pizza and Pente Led to One Oklahoman’s High-Flying Obsession | Collectors Weekly
Bryn Mawr

Love at First Kite

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tabby;1433627 wrote: A great article for kite flying enthusiasts! Some of these kites look like works of art. I had no idea of the grand history behind them. I did a google search to see if there are any kite festivals in Virginia and found a few in locations ranging from the beach all the way to the mountains. I didn't know it was so popular!

Any kite flying aficionados here?

Love at First Kite: How Pizza and Pente Led to One Oklahoman’s High-Flying Obsession | Collectors Weekly

Didn't the Chinese army invent them to drop gunpowerder on their enimies?
Saint_

Love at First Kite

Post by Saint_ »

As a matter of fact...I bought two state of the art kites for my wife and in May, (under the guise of buying them for the grandchildren, of course.) We went to the park and spent two hours desperately trying to get them up to altitude but the day was too gusty and we were to frustrated. I took the best of the two to school and I fly it on windy days during the school year while I'm on lunch duty to see if I can get any kids interested.
Oscar Namechange

Love at First Kite

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I would love to be able to fly a kite.

My Father painstakingly built an elaborate affair for my brother when we were little kids and we'd all set off here to fly It.

South Downs Way

Eventually after my father showed me Immense patience trying to teach me the knack of getting It airborne, I was banned from further attempts which often led to partially rebuilding the thing.

By co-incidence I found a kite abandoned recently while out on a yomp with the dogs In the countryside. I had a good look around to make sure no-one could laugh at me but again after several attempts, all I did was manage to get It about 4 feet off the air and crash It.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
along-for-the-ride

Love at First Kite

Post by along-for-the-ride »

We can only dream.

Hubby and I attempted to fly a kite on the beach one time. Well...it was fun while it lasted. :wah:
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Lady J

Love at First Kite

Post by Lady J »

I luv flying kites! I have two of my own. There is nothing like flying a kite to release oneself.

Here is something I wrote a few years ago...

Kite Flying

by Amanda Curtis

My pigtails may not be equal and my shirt doesn’t match my shorts, one sock is pink and the other blue, but what does it matter. I am going to the south pasture today where there is a sea of dandy bright yellow faces that won’t care, a carpet of nature for me to take part in; acceptance without any boundaries.

The sun is high and warm and the breeze is just right for flying a kite!!

Which kite should I take to sail my soul away on today?

The Dragon Kite is way too cool with its scary face of fire and flames. Its neon color ribbons adorned with black ties would be exciting to fly high.

Perhaps the box kite with its sturdy inexpressive sticks ~ nah, that is a boring kite.

I know! I will soar high amongst the clouds with my Princess Kite! It’s so alive with beautiful Lady Jane painted upon its face and bright happy smiling ribbon colors that make me giggle. I tied two jingle bells to her lead line…kinda like what Santa’s reindeers wear but a bunch smaller. They give Lady Jane a voice of a light musical tone and that always makes me grin from ear to ear.

“Are you coming with me today…I’ll met cha there! Time is a wasting! I will bring the Dragon Kite for you to fly!”

Racing to the pasture, clumsy as can be with two kites, laughing in silliness and living life as only one with no regrets can be.

Rejoicing in the moments and gathering it into my soul as my Princess soars high against the blue canvas of the sky and I let my thoughts go with her….I will never grow old!
tabby

Love at First Kite

Post by tabby »

Bryn Mawr;1433633 wrote: Didn't the Chinese army invent them to drop gunpowerder on their enimies?

That sounds like something clever they would do!
tabby

Love at First Kite

Post by tabby »

Saint_;1433634 wrote: As a matter of fact...I bought two state of the art kites for my wife and in May, (under the guise of buying them for the grandchildren, of course.) We went to the park and spent two hours desperately trying to get them up to altitude but the day was too gusty and we were to frustrated. I took the best of the two to school and I fly it on windy days during the school year while I'm on lunch duty to see if I can get any kids interested.

Any luck with getting them interested?
tabby

Love at First Kite

Post by tabby »

oscar;1433636 wrote: I would love to be able to fly a kite.

My Father painstakingly built an elaborate affair for my brother when we were little kids and we'd all set off here to fly It.

South Downs Way

Eventually after my father showed me Immense patience trying to teach me the knack of getting It airborne, I was banned from further attempts which often led to partially rebuilding the thing.

By co-incidence I found a kite abandoned recently while out on a yomp with the dogs In the countryside. I had a good look around to make sure no-one could laugh at me but again after several attempts, all I did was manage to get It about 4 feet off the air and crash It.

Funny story!

We always tried to fly them in our neighborhood which in retrospect was a doomed venture from the start because of all of the trees, distribution power lines, etc. The South Downs would have been much better!

I think I could probably handle one of the miniature kites mentioned in the article but even that might be overly optimistic! :-2
Oscar Namechange

Love at First Kite

We had a Kite shop In Worthing for some years called ' Cupid Stunts'.... It was very popular.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
tabby

Love at First Kite

Post by tabby »

along-for-the-ride;1433651 wrote: We can only dream.

Hubby and I attempted to fly a kite on the beach one time. Well...it was fun while it lasted. :wah:

The beach would be a great place to fly a kite!

This kite surfing is for the advanced ... and athletic!

tabby

Love at First Kite

Post by tabby »

Lady J;1433656 wrote: I luv flying kites! I have two of my own. There is nothing like flying a kite to release oneself.

Here is something I wrote a few years ago...

Kite Flying

by Amanda Curtis

My pigtails may not be equal and my shirt doesn�t match my shorts, one sock is pink and the other blue, but what does it matter. I am going to the south pasture today where there is a sea of dandy bright yellow faces that won�t care, a carpet of nature for me to take part in; acceptance without any boundaries.

The sun is high and warm and the breeze is just right for flying a kite!!

Which kite should I take to sail my soul away on today?

The Dragon Kite is way too cool with its scary face of fire and flames. Its neon color ribbons adorned with black ties would be exciting to fly high.

Perhaps the box kite with its sturdy inexpressive sticks ~ nah, that is a boring kite.

I know! I will soar high amongst the clouds with my Princess Kite! It�s so alive with beautiful Lady Jane painted upon its face and bright happy smiling ribbon colors that make me giggle. I tied two jingle bells to her lead line�kinda like what Santa�s reindeers wear but a bunch smaller. They give Lady Jane a voice of a light musical tone and that always makes me grin from ear to ear.

�Are you coming with me today�I�ll met cha there! Time is a wasting! I will bring the Dragon Kite for you to fly!�

Racing to the pasture, clumsy as can be with two kites, laughing in silliness and living life as only one with no regrets can be.

Rejoicing in the moments and gathering it into my soul as my Princess soars high against the blue canvas of the sky and I let my thoughts go with her�.I will never grow old!

Love it!! :-4
Oscar Namechange

Love at First Kite

Attached files
tabby

Love at First Kite

Post by tabby »

Not your average kite and certainly not your average camera but some really great aerial photography!

Kite Aerial Photography: Seeing the World from New Heights ~ Kuriositas

Return to “The Coffee Shop”