What are you reading at the moment?

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
theia

Post by theia »

I'm just finishing my second Dean Koontz, "Strangers". Good, but not quite as good as the first, "From The Corner of His Eye" which I thought was excellent.

I'm also dipping in and out of "Mainifesting God" by Thomas Keating....very good for my soul.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

I've lost my enjoyment for Koontz ever since he started making all his protagonists sickeningly sweet and saintly. The one he wrote about the dog that was not only incredibly intelligent (which is a standard trope in every one of his books) but was also *SPOILER* an angel really left a bad taste in my mouth. His old stuff was amazing... "Watchers" is still one of my favorites and I really enjoyed "Lightning" as well but he's lost his edge and basically writes the same thing over and over again.

I've got a couple of Kindle books I'm reading off and on but I just can't seem to get too enthused with anything lately. The last book I read that I couldn't put down was "The Hunger Games".
spot

Post by spot »

Bloody Trotsky's bloody autobiography and my word it's taking a long time to get where it's going.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Bloody Trotsky sounds like a Kentucky Derby winner.
spot

Post by spot »

I keep thinking if I have to read one more page of bragging about Brest Litovsk I'll spit, at which point I put the book down. My word he does go on.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
tabby

Post by tabby »

I'm about a quarter of the way through "The Prayer Room" by Shanthi Sekaran. I saw a write-up on it in a magazine about a year ago, bought it and finally settled down with it last week.

The last book I finished was "A Reliable Wife" by Robert Goolrick. It was a good story with many twists and turns and it made for a good read.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Actually, "Bloody Trotsky" is going to be my next excuse when I call in sick.
spot

Post by spot »

SnoozeAgain;1388636 wrote: Actually, "Bloody Trotsky" is going to be my next excuse when I call in sick.

So you'll get a super-literate FBI agent at your door? They're the worst sort.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Maybe I'll just stick with "Hershey squirts."
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Spot should be ashamed at what he's done to this thread.
spot

Post by spot »

SnoozeAgain;1388645 wrote: Spot should be ashamed at what he's done to this thread.

I refer the honorable member to posts #4 and#7 where the off-topicking pressure was applied, prior to which I was topicality personified.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

To return to topic, The Diary of William Dyer: Bristol, in 1762 - an enjoyable tale of witchcraft and strange accountancy practices.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

recently finished onward, by howard schultz and necessary endings by dr. henry cloud.

now i'm reading the dukan diet by dr pierre dukan.... just making me think about food though...
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

I am going to start The Hunger Games, since I am now sitting in ebook heaven for two weeks. Any suggestions on what to read I will definitely look up, just finished all the Lincoln Lawyers and most of the NY Times best sellers. I don't need any diet books, I bet I gain 5 lbs from sitting around, it will leave soon enough when I am back to normal in the classroom.
butterflylover

Post by butterflylover »

I'm reading the city of lost souls by Cassandra Clare.
theia

Post by theia »

Hello butterflylover :-6

Are you enjoying the book? What's it about?
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Just finished 'The Invisible Man' by Ralph Ellison.

about to finish 'One Thousand White Women' by Jim Fergus

and reading 'The Founding Fathers, Reconsidered' by R. B. Bernstein
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

The Battle of Shiloh, oh a good Civil War novel by Shaara, first in a new trilogy. Glad to see some more coming, how can you ever forget the Gettysburg one and Gods and Generals?
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion. Insane thoughts to keep you sane when you are suddenly widowed and about to lose your beloved daughter (she doesn't know that at the time) - a retrospective. Elegant and moving. Relatable.
theia

Post by theia »

The Wine of Angels - Phil Rickman

Worlds Beyond Thought - Albert Blackburn

And dipping in and out of Writing as a Way of Healing - Louise DeSalvo
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

theia;1400017 wrote: The Wine of Angels - Phil Rickman

Worlds Beyond Thought - Albert Blackburn

And dipping in and out of Writing as a Way of Healing - Louise DeSalvo

How do remember what story line belongs in what lol

I'm reading Bleak House, again :wah:
theia

Post by theia »

Betty Boop;1400018 wrote: How do remember what story line belongs in what lol

I'm reading Bleak House, again :wah:

Only the first one is a novel...I couldn't possibly follow more than one storyline at a time :-2
butterflylover

Post by butterflylover »

I just started reading Lullaby by Amanda Hocking,the second book to the series tryelle.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I am reading Dark Matter by Peter Straub.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Currently working my way through a pile of New Scientists, can't seem to concentrate on novels at the moment.
theia

Post by theia »

Gone Girl was a brilliant book

Into the Darkest Places was very good too.

And Gillian Flynn's latest book is a winner for me
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I have two on the go at the moment . Bryce Courtneys' last book before he died "Jack of Diamonds" and another my son gave me for christmas. By Jan Murray. "Goodbye Lullaby".....which is pretty good it has eveything going on in it. It's about teenage girl who falls pregnant in hte fifties and has her baby forcefully removed from her . Over the years she becomes an activist and more importantly and anti war activist in Australia who helps boys escape conscription. Then one day her own sons' birthday comes up in the ballot...very good book
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I've just finished reading this one:

Home - Moonshiners Daughter

I picked it up while we were on vacation in the Smokies last week. Simple narrative, but very interesting story. A story of survival.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
tabby

Post by tabby »

I finished "A Secret Gift" by Ted Gup about 2 weeks ago ~~~~~> A Secret Gift: How One Man's Kindness—and a Trove of Letters—Revealed the Hidden History of the Great Depression, by Ted Gup

Am now about halfway through "The Indifferent Stars Above" by Daniel James Brown ~~~~~> Indifferent Stars | Daniel James Brown
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

I'm on the third book of the "Game of Thrones" series.
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

I'm currently reading "A Curious Man - the strange and brilliant life of Robert Ripley" by Neal Thompson.

A Curious Man | NEAL THOMPSON
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Yesterday I just finished Tom Clancy's 'Dead or Alive.'

So now based on the recommendation of both Saint and Accountable tonight I will start 'Guns, Germs, and Steel' by Jared Diamond.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Henry Cloud : Boundaries for Leaders
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I'm reading Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir. It is a fictionalized account of the sad short life of Lady Jane Grey. Most of the female characters get to speak in the first person. I have also read by Ms. Weir Lady Elizabeth a fictionalized account of the life of Princess Elizabeth Tudor before becoming Queen. Ms. Weir has authored many of these types of books; I love her style, I like this new read better than the first & I guess I'll go through the bunch!

Later today I'm looking forward to reading Saint_'s latest work that was recently posted here "Life and Death in the Miller House."
Vaishali

Post by Vaishali »

Hello friends..

I am reading A Beautiful Truth: The Art of Grooming for Women by Diana Hayden. It's an amazing book which provides us the complete grooming knowledge. It contains the best tips to stay healthy and fit as we all know fit and healthy body is the dream of every girl, mine too. So I love to read Health and Fitness Books. I have read lot's of books but my favorite books are "Women And The Weight Loss Tamasha" by Rujuta Diwekar, "Dream New Dreams" by Jai Pausch, "Confessions of a Serial Dieter" by purie, kalli|. I bought all these books from online stores as it is the best time saving option. Which types of books do you like to read guys??
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tude dog;1434928 wrote: Yesterday I just finished Tom Clancy's 'Dead or Alive.'

So now based on the recommendation of both Saint and Accountable tonight I will start 'Guns, Germs, and Steel' by Jared Diamond.

I can add my recommendation as well. I read it after Acc pointed me in its direction and found it compelling.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

AnneBoleyn;1434943 wrote: I'm reading Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir. It is a fictionalized account of the sad short life of Lady Jane Grey. Most of the female characters get to speak in the first person. I have also read by Ms. Weir Lady Elizabeth a fictionalized account of the life of Princess Elizabeth Tudor before becoming Queen. Ms. Weir has authored many of these types of books; I love her style, I like this new read better than the first & I guess I'll go through the bunch!

Later today I'm looking forward to reading Saint_'s latest work that was recently posted here "Life and Death in the Miller House."

She was born and grew up in my village. When they chopped her head off the family did the same to all of the oak trees on the estate and now as you walk through the park you can see that most of the trees have multiple trunks from ten feet up.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

I'm currently reading "When Giants Walked the Earth", a biography of Led Zeppelin by Mick Wall - I started Ozzy Osbourne's (auto)biography but gave up when the effin' and blindin' got too much for me to stomach.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

The History of Florence and the affairs of Italy - Machiavelli
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

'Good in Bed' a trashy easy read thats funny. Not able to read anything too deep at the moment. Apart from the New Scientists my brother passes on to me.
tabby

Post by tabby »

A Tiger in the Kitchen: A Memoir of Food and Family by Cheryl Lu-Lien Tan ~~~~~> A Tiger in the Kitchen: A Memoir of Food and Family by Cheryl Lu-Lien Tan - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists
theia

Post by theia »

I'm trying to read The Dome, which I'm watching on television. It's difficult because its been adapted for the series and things/people don't always match up.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

theia;1436548 wrote: I'm trying to read The Dome, which I'm watching on television. It's difficult because its been adapted for the series and things/people don't always match up.

Anoying when that happens (as it usually does). I normally find that the book makes more sense and make he better story.
tabby

Post by tabby »

Louisa May Alcott by Susan Cheever

I wasn't sure I'd like this book, thought it might be too dry but it's actually very engrossing. For anyone with an interest in the American Existential and/or Transcendental Movement of the mid 1850s, it will make an interesting read. To be honest, I wasn't a "Little Women" fan when I was growing up ... blasphemy I know but it's true. I considered it so-so and for whatever reason it just didn't grab me. This book is much better and I'm now considering a re-read of "Little Women". Maybe I'll have a different perspective at this point.
valerie

Post by valerie »

Just finished The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks and my God, but I

finally understand why it's been so long on the bestseller lists. A

very, very good/interesting read.

About halfway through Prozac Nation, it's a slog and a half although

I have kept with it and will finish. It's difficult to read page after page

of all the crying and 'drama' but I'm determined.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

theia

Post by theia »

Lissa Rankin - Mind over Medicine.

Only read about a quarter of it so far but it's fascinating to read about the studies carried out on the effect of placebos.
valerie

Post by valerie »

Hadn't heard of that one, Theia, thanks, I'll put it on my list, I'd

be interested in it!
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Wolverine

Post by Wolverine »

theia;1388602 wrote: I'm just finishing my second Dean Koontz, "Strangers". Good, but not quite as good as the first, "From The Corner of His Eye" which I thought was excellent.

I'm also dipping in and out of "Mainifesting God" by Thomas Keating....very good for my soul.

have you read any of the Odd Thomas series by KOONTZ? LOVE those!

Get your mind out of the gutter - it's blocking my view

Mind like a steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in 37 states.

Wolverine

Post by Wolverine »

I'm reading the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child. read the first 2-3 books several years ago, and now i've picked them up again. i'm not a fast reader, not by a long shot. but i can fly thru these 300-400pg books in 2 days. they read like screenplays. they're fast paced "who-dun-its"

Absolutely NOTHING like the movie.

and i love Odd Thomas, by Koontz

Get your mind out of the gutter - it's blocking my view

Mind like a steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in 37 states.

theia

Post by theia »

Wolverine;1443951 wrote: have you read any of the Odd Thomas series by KOONTZ? LOVE those!

No, I haven't. I've got a couple of his that I haven't read yet but when I checked just now, there were none of Odd. I'll take a look at amazon...

Return to “The Library”