I made a big decision 2 weeks ago...

A forum for ForumGardeners to post news about themselves.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

I have almost completed my 25 years of teaching in the New Jersey School System. That means that I can retire, and indeed I am doing just that on June 21st, 2013, the last day of school.

I didn't plan to retire for another 2 years. However, teaching is not fun anymore due to the importance of the State testing. All we do is test, test, and test some more. It's ridiculous. We can't even find time to teach the social sciences or play a little game. I had planned on retiring in 2 yrs., but the time seems right now.

Also, Hurricane Sandy took a major toll on me, as you know. Never in my life did I think that I'd have to sleep in my car and drive 120 miles a day for 3 weeks back and forth to work. Upon returning home after 3 months, I had another problem. The back window of my car was smashed. It took a company 3 weeks to finally find time to sew a new window onto a new convertible top.

For the time being, I plan to secure a wee, part time job to pay those extra bills. I want a mundane job like making gourmet sandwiches in a local shop. If things work out later on, I'm going to volunteer at a local hospital, library or a nearby State park at the beach.

I'm going to be a free woman and not have any bosses. I'll be spending tons of time with family and friends. We'll spend our days at the beach, walking, bike riding, reading, swimming and eating.

My home is almost repaired now except for parts of my yard. So, stick a fork in me. I'm done!!
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Well, I finally finished setting up all of my accounts and finished all the paperwork for retirement. Luckily, I was able to do this on the internet and phone. Now, I just have to wait for the paperwork to be approved. All looks good.

I've only told a few peeps that I'm retiring: principal, supervisor and a few best friends, plus some family members. I'm dying to tell everyone, but I want to get all of my ducks in a row first. This waiting period is killing me as I can't hold in a secret about my good news.

Now for the countdown to June 21st. Yippee

I've made some immediate plans, and that is to take a road trip down to Florida to visit with my family and friends on the west coast. Then I plan to visit Siesta Key and look around for a new home if I ever do move from Joisey. My family here is upset though that I may move. I'll worry about that later.

I can travel to Florida now during the off months and not just the summer and school breaks....Yippee again!!
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Sounds like time to think, "Snowbird"
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Good for you Kathy

I sense sadness and I sense relief - you'll have fun & stay busy as a Snowbird.

things happen for a reason and the timing seems right for you.

I do miss your astrology threads.:wah:

Have fun - you deserve this.

Patsy
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Thanks so much Lars and Patsy.

Yes Patsy, I was a bit out of sorts to make this decision so quickly, but it had to be made for my sanity. I will miss my teacher friends and the kidlets.

But, I'm so thrilled now that I was finally able to put in the paperwork. Think that I have to wait about 5 days or so for the paperwork to be approved.

I can't wait to begin my new life, and have lots of plans. I'm never bored so my retirement will be fun, fun and more fun...LOL

[/URL]
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

I wish you the very best of luck Kathy. Enjoy fully, your retirement and don't look back

I look forward to the day I that I might be financially stable enough to call it a day. I'll make the most of every minute me and my wife are given, after that day.
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

I'm envious, I've got at least another seven years before I can retire.
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Cheers to you my Dear.!!

you put in your time/energy/sacrifices - there's another road to travel, you won't regret or miss a thing - you won't have time.

It'll be the best decision you've every made.

How sweet it is.

Enjoy

Patsy
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Enjoy........very best wishes
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Týr

Post by Týr »

I hope you get satisfaction out of your new state. The world's an interesting place.
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Kathy Ellen;1424344 wrote: I have almost completed my 25 years of teaching in the New Jersey School System. That means that I can retire, and indeed I am doing just that on June 21st, 2013, the last day of school.

I didn't plan to retire for another 2 years. However, teaching is not fun anymore due to the importance of the State testing. All we do is test, test, and test some more. It's ridiculous. We can't even find time to teach the social sciences or play a little game. I had planned on retiring in 2 yrs., but the time seems right now.

Also, Hurricane Sandy took a major toll on me, as you know. Never in my life did I think that I'd have to sleep in my car and drive 120 miles a day for 3 weeks back and forth to work. Upon returning home after 3 months, I had another problem. The back window of my car was smashed. It took a company 3 weeks to finally find time to sew a new window onto a new convertible top.

For the time being, I plan to secure a wee, part time job to pay those extra bills. I want a mundane job like making gourmet sandwiches in a local shop. If things work out later on, I'm going to volunteer at a local hospital, library or a nearby State park at the beach.

I'm going to be a free woman and not have any bosses. I'll be spending tons of time with family and friends. We'll spend our days at the beach, walking, bike riding, reading, swimming and eating.

My home is almost repaired now except for parts of my yard. So, stick a fork in me. I'm done!!

I love that sentence, a 'mundane' job, but making 'gourmet' sandwiches, not your average mundane everyday sandwiches but gourmet :wah: Good luck to you Kathy, enjoy every minute of your retirement :-6:-6
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

What ever path you now take Kathy, the new people coming Into your life will be the one's blessed to have a lady like yourself.

Everything happens for a reason and It's those unknown reasons that makes life so exciting.

Enjoy every minute and live life to the full.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I'm excited for you, Kathy! :):-4

Attached files
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Thanks so much everyone for your kind words. I loved all of your best wishes Patsy, Snowfire, Snooze, Bruv, Tyr, Oscar, Mustang, Betty and Diana. Your thoughts mean a lot to me:-4

I'm over the moon right now with a big grin on my mug...Hahaha...

Jaysus Mustang, It's wonderful to see you again. Hope you and the Mrs. are well and enjoying life:-6
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Ah retirement! Congratulations, Kathy. So you don't think you'll be one of those teachers who retires and then comes right back as a sub? :yh_bigsmi
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Accountable;1424396 wrote: Ah retirement! Congratulations, Kathy. So you don't think you'll be one of those teachers who retires and then comes right back as a sub? :yh_bigsmi

[/URL]

Thanks Accts, but no flippin way. My principal asked me if I'd come back and be a permanent sub or maybe come back and present some science lessons...HAHAHA....

I'll be a free woman now in June and have fun, fun and more fun...

I will miss the kidlet a lot though.

Attached files
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Kathy Ellen;1424400 wrote: Thanks Accts, but no flippin way. My principal asked me if I'd come back and be a permanent sub or maybe come back and present some science lessons...HAHAHA....
LOL!! I love that. Now that you're retired, can you come in and do twice the work for half the pay?? :yh_rotfl
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Kathy

You sound so liberated

will the real Kathy Ellen please stand up..?:wah:

too funny

Patsy
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Accountable;1424401 wrote: LOL!! I love that. Now that you're retired, can you come in and do twice the work for half the pay?? :yh_rotfl

HAhaha....Not only that....BUT, can I also do some after school programs and tutor some kidlets for free during the day.

Actually Acct, I love the kidlets and would love to come back to my home school and team teach or tutor as a volunteer. But, the state has put so many demands on teachers to teach these new programs that I don't want to be involved with the programs. I do like many concepts of the new programs, but there's little to none comprehension, grammar and spelling lessons.

How have the new State Testing requirements affected your school district?
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Patsy Warnick;1424402 wrote: Kathy

You sound so liberated

will the real Kathy Ellen please stand up..?:wah:

too funny

Patsy

Patsy, I honestly feel that a great burden has been lifted off of my shoulders. Although I love teaching and my kidlets, I don't appreciate the new demands of our government.
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

We can feel your joy

Enjoy your journey

Patsy
valerie

Post by valerie »

Oh KE, this news of yours really makes me happy!!

I think you are one of those people who REALLY will know what to do

with a retirement!!
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

Congratulations on your liberation!
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Kathy Ellen;1424403 wrote: HAhaha....Not only that....BUT, can I also do some after school programs and tutor some kidlets for free during the day.

Actually Acct, I love the kidlets and would love to come back to my home school and team teach or tutor as a volunteer. But, the state has put so many demands on teachers to teach these new programs that I don't want to be involved with the programs. I do like many concepts of the new programs, but there's little to none comprehension, grammar and spelling lessons. I feel ya, dear. I haven't been teaching long (finishing my sixth year) and I often fantasize about buying/renting a house in one of the poorer neighborhoods of our district (they're all poor) and convincing some of the parents to pull their kids out for homeschooling, offering my services for free. Freedom to teach free of truly stupid standards. So challenging, yet fulfilling.

Kathy Ellen;1424403 wrote: How have the new State Testing requirements affected your school district?
The change is really drastic. The new tests make more sense (the old tests for 11th graders included material from the 8th grade!) and I like the new level of rigor in our state tests. The problem is that we're wrenching students and teachers out of old habits, and that's painful but not impossible. One of the really dumb changes is the expectations of our spec ed kids. Their tests have one of the four options removed on the multiple choice tests, but the rigor is the same. The kids have a modified curriculum but the modified tests are not modified at all, only altered. (for those not in the education field: the terms are technical jargon for us and very different).

But hey, this is a celebration of your new path, not my current one. :yh_dance
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Much as I loved the school stories, I'll love the retirement stories just as much!

I'm excited for you, KE.:guitarist
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Congratulations Kathy, I really like your plans and hope they turn our as you wish them.

Sad that the move from teaching to testing should cause your decision but so exciting that a new phase of your life is starting - and the very best of luck to you :-6
tabby

Post by tabby »

Congratulations, Kathy Ellen! You'll have a wonderful time with your retirement and I know you must be looking forward to it with great anticipation!
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Conggrats Kathy, you have done a wonderful job teaching your beloved kids. You will enjoy what is ahead for you!
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Congrats, I am happy for you and jealous of you. Now, I'll have a ham & cheese on rye with mustard toasted in a panini press.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

flopstock;1424468 wrote: Much as I loved the school stories, I'll love the retirement stories just as much!

I'm excited for you, KE.:guitarist

Thanks so much Floppy. I hope that I have some fun and wacky retirement stories. I'm sure that I will HAhaha....

Bryn Mawr;1424477 wrote: Congratulations Kathy, I really like your plans and hope they turn our as you wish them.

Sad that the move from teaching to testing should cause your decision but so exciting that a new phase of your life is starting - and the very best of luck to you :-6

Thanks Bryn. I,too, love my plans!! Hope some of them work out. Maybe now I can take those long holidays in Europe in other months except the summer and school holidays.

tabby;1424500 wrote: Congratulations, Kathy Ellen! You'll have a wonderful time with your retirement and I know you must be looking forward to it with great anticipation!

Thanks so much Tabby. I'm a gonna have fun, fun, fun because that's what girls just wanna..hahaha...

chonsigirl;1424537 wrote: Conggrats Kathy, you have done a wonderful job teaching your beloved kids. You will enjoy what is ahead for you!

Thanks Chonsi...Jaysus, It's good to see you. Wish you could retire with me Chonsi. You hafta come up to see me soon and spend some time surfing...I'd love it if you did!

YZGI;1424671 wrote: Congrats, I am happy for you and jealous of you. Now, I'll have a ham & cheese on rye with mustard toasted in a panini press.

Thanks Zygi, I hear ya. I love my kidlets, but have wanted to retire for some time now due to the testing...not fun anymore. Oh, for flip sakes, what a boring sammy....Tell me whatcha like and I'll make a delish one for ya.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Wandrin;1424408 wrote: Congratulations on your liberation!

Thanks so much Wandrin...Yes, I am woman hear me call.....I'm finally liberated and will have no bosses atal!
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Kathy Ellen;1424674 wrote: Thanks so much Floppy. I hope that I have some fun and wacky retirement stories. I'm sure that I will HAhaha....

Thanks Bryn. I,too, love my plans!! Hope some of them work out. Maybe now I can take those long holidays in Europe in other months except the summer and school holidays.

Thanks so much Tabby. I'm a gonna have fun, fun, fun because that's what girls just wanna..hahaha...

Thanks Chonsi...Jaysus, It's good to see you. Wish you could retire with me Chonsi. You hafta come up to see me soon and spend some time surfing...I'd love it if you did!

Thanks Zygi, I hear ya. I love my kidlets, but have wanted to retire for some time now due to the testing...not fun anymore. Oh, for flip sakes, what a boring sammy....Tell me whatcha like and I'll make a delish one for ya.

I can't think of a thing I don't like. I was a little busy and went with a standby..
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Kathy

I told you - you were liberated - now go burn your Bra..!!

Serious - do you have a "bucket List" sorta speak.?

You sound so excited as if you won the lottery. Good for you

Patsy
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Patsy Warnick;1424691 wrote: Kathy

I told you - you were liberated - now go burn your Bra..!!

Serious - do you have a "bucket List" sorta speak.?

You sound so excited as if you won the lottery. Good for you

Patsy

Hahaha Patsy and hi to everyone in FG

I don't wear a bra unless I have to...lol

I really don't have a bucket list as I've just about done everything that I wished for.

I have made a few plans though for the next few years. I want to keep my home for awhile before I make a final move, and spend lots of time with my family in NJ.

I am planning a long road trip to Florida to see my close family and best friend. I'll take the auto train down to Florida and then drive home. I have friends along the east coast so I plan to stop and visit some peeps. I also wish to visit California again and plan on visiting San Diego, San Fran and the redwoods and see my friend in Washington State. From there I want to see the bad lands.

Hopefully, depending on finances, I'm hoping to return home to Ireland next year to see my family and spend a ton of time in Donegal. Who knows, maybe I'll take the ferry across the sea to the UK and visit some UK'ers along the way xx

For now, I'm happy just to have free time to relax, read and visit with friends.
Týr

Post by Týr »

Kathy Ellen;1431120 wrote: I don't wear a bra unless I have to...lol

That, to be honest, applies to quite a few of us on FG. It pretty much sums up my position anyway.

Who knows, maybe I'll take the ferry across the sea to the UK and visit some UK'ers along the way xx
My house is your house, spend as long here as you like.
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Týr;1431130 wrote: That, to be honest, applies to quite a few of us on FG. It pretty much sums up my position anyway.

My house is your house, spend as long here as you like.

That is so nice of you Tyr. Thank you so much. I will definitely let you know if I'm coming to the UK and would love to meet you and Bryn. Maybe he'll take us for a spin on his long boat!!
Fyrenza

Post by Fyrenza »

Soooooooooo................

What have you done, SO FAR???

Are you posting from Florida?

Congratulations, KE!
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

Well done, Kathy, a good decision ! I wish you all the very best as you join the exclusive club of the retired elders. I can certainly recommend it to anybody nearing that magical age. One becomes a bit of an independent hooligan really (I speak for myself here of course :wah: ). I have been retired for a few years now ( I suppose that's true when a person's 105 years old :sneaky: ) and I'm just getting used to the fact that mostly my time is my own and I can do what the heck I like, when I like (within the law ................ mostly LOL) and allowing for my hubby, my son and my dog ! Although, I find, that the dog is wonderfully loyal and just tags along with what we decide to do, and the others just humour me - they find it less stressful that way, I think ! :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Attached files
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Fyrenza;1432330 wrote: Soooooooooo................

What have you done, SO FAR???

Are you posting from Florida?

Congratulations, KE!

Good to see you back Fyrenza.

Well, the last day of school was on June 21st.

So.....what I've been doing is just living and not worrying about anything. I no longer have stress and depression due to my home issues with the Sandy hurricane, and work. I am feeling good about being a 'free woman' now for sure.

It's about time that I have some special time with my family and friends. So, I made my wee shack by the sea welcome to my loved ones. I just ask that they give me a heads up when they're coming, so I can at least change the sheets before someone else visits.

All is going great this summer at home. The major problems at home are basically fixed. It's wonderful to have the family/friends here. We don't cook at all so there's no clean up. We order out for home delivery, and I have a restaurant next door that hands us food over the fence. We walk or ride our bikes everywhere in town. No one move their cars due to the high volume of visitors. I can fit 3 cars in my driveway and I park my car in front of my home. We'll get up at 6 A.M and head for the breakfast restaurant on the bay, and maybe head back later to watch the sunset since they do dinners now...Wonderful!!

So, as you can see, I'm spending the summer with my family nearby. I'm in the process of making plans to drive down to Florida in September to visit my family and friends there. I'll be taking the auto train down which means that I will have my car plus a little half room that I can stretch out and sleep. It's a lovely way to travel.

On the way home, I plan to drive my car home and visit some peeps along the way. In fact, there are 3 FG members along my travels that I'd love to meet and am contacting them soon to see if they'd like to meet.

Those are my plans for now. Hopefully next year I may travel to Ireland and the UK.

Thanks for asking!!!
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

G#Gill;1432335 wrote: Well done, Kathy, a good decision ! I wish you all the very best as you join the exclusive club of the retired elders. I can certainly recommend it to anybody nearing that magical age. One becomes a bit of an independent hooligan really (I speak for myself here of course :wah: ). I have been retired for a few years now ( I suppose that's true when a person's 105 years old :sneaky: ) and I'm just getting used to the fact that mostly my time is my own and I can do what the heck I like, when I like (within the law ................ mostly LOL) and allowing for my hubby, my son and my dog ! Although, I find, that the dog is wonderfully loyal and just tags along with what we decide to do, and the others just humour me - they find it less stressful that way, I think ! :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Awwwwww Gill, I've been thinking about you a lot lately. I'm really glad that you have a new dog, it helps to heal wounds, doesn't it! I hope that you, Fires and your hubby are doing wonderfully. I miss talking with you for sure.

Are you still holidaying by the sea? Do you still have your place there...I hope so. You must post some more pics of your place and the sea around you. I'd love to see them.

All here is excellent since I've retired. I feel refreshed and happy again.

Keep in touch Gill.

Love,

Kathy Ellen xx
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

We adopted our Jessie dog a year ago from the RSPCA animal shelter, and she has turned out to be extremely bright, obedient, playful (she's 3 years old now so still puppyish). She has brought us so much joy and she gives so much love and loyalty. We thought that dear old Rex and Lady before him would take an exceptional animal to fill the void that they left. Jessica has certainly filled that void in buckets ! Bless her heart.

Although we have sold our static caravan, we are able to use it till middle September when we hopefully hand it over to the new owner. She is parting with her much older caravan, selling it off site and taking on ours. She thinks our's is lovely, so we know she will be very happy in it, like we have been.

A few pics for you Kathy Ellen ........................ the first one is one of the many 'nooks' on our caravan site, there's another of Jessie - hinting at a tummy/chest rub, and the other three are of the weekly market at a nice little town in Norfolk called North Walsham which we visited this last time we were in the area.

Attached files
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

G#Gill;1432483 wrote: We adopted our Jessie dog a year ago from the RSPCA animal shelter, and she has turned out to be extremely bright, obedient, playful (she's 3 years old now so still puppyish). She has brought us so much joy and she gives so much love and loyalty. We thought that dear old Rex and Lady before him would take an exceptional animal to fill the void that they left. Jessica has certainly filled that void in buckets ! Bless her heart.

Although we have sold our static caravan, we are able to use it till middle September when we hopefully hand it over to the new owner. She is parting with her much older caravan, selling it off site and taking on ours. She thinks our's is lovely, so we know she will be very happy in it, like we have been.

A few pics for you Kathy Ellen ........................ the first one is one of the many 'nooks' on our caravan site, there's another of Jessie - hinting at a tummy/chest rub, and the other three are of the weekly market at a nice little town in Norfolk called North Walsham which we visited this last time we were in the area.

Sorry Gill...Just saw your post. That's lovely that you have a beautiful dog like Jessica to love.

I'm so sorry that you're giving up your caravan. Hope all is good with you and familyxxx

Thank you for posting your pics...just beautiful!!!!!
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

WOW I had no idea .I really should visit this place more .

well Kathy is sounds like you've been through the wringer and come out the other side all clean and bright. Well done to you Kathy. I wish you all the happiness for your new life . :)
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

fuzzywuzzy;1432893 wrote: WOW I had no idea .I really should visit this place more .

well Kathy is sounds like you've been through the wringer and come out the other side all clean and bright. Well done to you Kathy. I wish you all the happiness for your new life . :)

Thanks so much Mags, and it is truly wonderful to see you in FG. Hoping that you're well and happy.

I'm so,so,so happy now. I've invited my family and friends down the shore for fun and sun. It's been a great summer for us...just doing nothing but going to the beach, riding bikes, walking along the shore and collecting shells. My niece had a baby named Katherine, after my grandmother,mother and me....so we're spoiling her and enjoying having a new baby in the family.

I'm beginning my first road trip to Florida in September. Looking forward to seeing my friends and family there.

Cheers Megan and my best wishes to you xx
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Road trips are the best Enjoy!!! :)
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

fuzzywuzzy;1432913 wrote: Road trips are the best Enjoy!!! :)

Thanks Mags....I will. You, too.

If you're ever in the States again, please visit me. If I'm ever in Oz, I hope to visit with you xx
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

That's a definate Kathy ...... <3 :)
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

fuzzywuzzy;1432947 wrote: That's a definate Kathy ......

Great!!
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Yesterday was a fabulous, gorgeous, perfect beach day!! Took my home girl Katherine to the beach. We had a fabulous time but boy oh boy, did she ever wear me out....She's like a little,spinning tornado.

We played allllllllll day running to the ocean to get water, creating sand dunes, running after the ice cream man, running to chat with every person who walked by, just running, running, and more running....LOL.

I was literally exhausted when she went home.

It is true....You have to be young to have kids....

Return to “Members' News”