Frankie Boyle on hunger strike

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Frankie Boyle goes on hunger strike to support Britain-based Guantanamo Bay prisoner | Mail Online

Fingers crossed no one force feeds him.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

I never understood hunger strikes. More accurately, never understood why anyone would care.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

The hunger strike death of Bobby Sands will haunt many people forever. It's a sacrifice to a cause, tude. The meaning of it rests on the conscience of humanity. Gets people's attention. Obviously a last resort.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Sands
Oscar Namechange

AnneBoleyn;1431989 wrote: The hunger strike death of Bobby Sands will haunt many people forever. It's a sacrifice to a cause, tude. The meaning of it rests on the conscience of humanity. Gets people's attention. Obviously a last resort.

Bobby Sands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not me.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

We don't have to be the same for me to love you oscar. Wouldn't have it any other way.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Shaker, who grew up in Saudi Arabia, has long been cleared for release by the US and has never been charged with a crime in the country, according to Reprieve.

Thats as good a reason for him not to be there as I can think of. The fact that Frankie Boyle is doing what he's doing has got us all thinking and debating it. Lets thank him for that.

I notice the usual ignorant bile in the Daily Mail comments. Gormless tossers.
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

I find something quite neuseating and Insincere when Z list celebrities jump on the political agenda such as the revolting spectacle of the Mandela bandwagon of the 80's.

What a co-Incidence most If not all had flagging careers.

What a co-Incidence that Boyle has a flagging career and was In talks recently as to weather he can appear on TV again.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

oscar;1432006 wrote: I find something quite neuseating and Insincere when Z list celebrities jump on the political agenda such as the revolting spectacle of the Mandela bandwagon of the 80's.

What a co-Incidence most If not all had flagging careers.

What a co-Incidence that Boyle has a flagging career and was In talks recently as to weather he can appear on TV again.

No whats nauseating is that its deemed acceptable to imprison people without charge.

I couldn't give a toss whether its a cynical ploy to boost a flagging career. The end justifies the means. Free Shaker and close Guantanamo.

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

If It was anyone else, I may not care.

Coming from a man who likened Katie Price's severely disabled son to a baboon taking her up the arsse for cheap laughs, Is a cheap stab at publicity.

For one, Shaker Aamer Is not British. For two, he just happened to be lurking around Afghanistan on a holiday at the Tora Bora caves.

Frankie Boyle will not get any sympathy. He's a cupid stunt man.
Oscar Namechange

Oh hang on... I just found this.

Frankie Boyle On Hunger Strike For Prisoner

So It's a hunger strike for one week ????????

That's not a hunger strike... that's what most children in third world countries do every week.

Time waster... self publicist.... WANKER
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Maybe he is but your dislike for a comedian seems to override the need for justice. The whole Guantanamo charade is an embarrassment. Shaker Aamer is just one man. Who cares where he's from. He's been in a prison for 11 years without charge. That might be a world you want to live in but not me

Winston Churchill
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

oscar;1432011 wrote: Oh hang on... I just found this.

That's not a hunger strike... that's what most children in third world countries do every week.

WHO CARES IF ITS JUST FOR A WEEK !!! WHO CARES IF HE:S A TOSSER

You, as usual completely miss the point

It means we are all talking about it and putting more pressure on those who could make a decision. It's not about Boyle its about the prisoners in Guantanamo bay. Jeez !

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

It's you who Is missing the point here.

Shaker Aamer Is not some forgotten detainee no-one has ever heard of and needing Boyle to raise his profile.

The hard work for Aamer has already been done and Boyle Is just jumping on a bandwagon.

If this Is the first time you have heard of Shaker Aamer then you are not as aware as all of the rest of us.

Long before Boyle jumped on a way of redeeming himself with British TV and which by the way put paid to any career he had, an e petition forced a parliamentary debate which took place In April of this year. There was also quite a sizable demonstration In Parliament Square led by the MP for Battersea. The hard ground work had already been completed by dedicated lawyers, MP's and supporters long before this wanker stepped In.

If America happens to have ' A law of war ' ie they can detain him to ensure he does not return to the conflict, then that's the law.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

oscar;1432016 wrote: It's you who Is missing the point here.

Shaker Aamer Is not some forgotten detainee no-one has ever heard of and needing Boyle to raise his profile.

The hard work for Aamer has already been done and Boyle Is just jumping on a bandwagon.

If this Is the first time you have heard of Shaker Aamer then you are not as aware as all of the rest of us.

Long before Boyle jumped on a way of redeeming himself with British TV and which by the way put paid to any career he had, an e petition forced a parliamentary debate which took place In April of this year. There was also quite a sizable demonstration In Parliament Square led by the MP for Battersea. The hard ground work had already been completed by dedicated lawyers, MP's and supporters long before this wanker stepped In.

If America happens to have ' A law of war ' ie they can detain him to ensure he does not return to the conflict, then that's the law.

They are ALL forgotten detainees. Since when did we accept detaining indefinitely, anybody who fits a profile who who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, without any sort of trial ?

But that's OK " cos that's the law " ? Bollocks and you know it.

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

Snowfire;1432017 wrote: They are ALL forgotten detainees. Since when did we accept detaining indefinitely, anybody who fits a profile who who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, without any sort of trial ?

But that's OK " cos that's the law " ? Bollocks and you know it.

If there Is evidence to suggest he was linked to Bin Laden, ' someone who happened to be In the wrong place' ie the Tora Bora caves, Is one heck of a co-incidence.

It's not British law. He Is not British. America has a ' Law of War '. It may be wrong In this case, who knows but If the USA have every reason to believe he Is a threat to National Security, then under that law, they have a right to detain him. Would you rather he was released and possibly, I suggest possibly, go on to plot another atrocity costing Innocents their lives?
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

From Wikipedia

In 2009, U.S. President Barack Obama gave orders for the detention camp to be closed by January 22, 2010. As of present day, the detention camp remains open.

Its shameful that this place exists at all. that it is used for the detaining of personnel without trial is an abomination

The United States along with the UK and others in the West, like to export their version of freedom and democracy. The blind hypocrisy that accompanies it is what's revolting not Z list hangers on. Tossers like Boyle are irrelevant. The lives of those abused by the "Policeman of the World" are not

Winston Churchill
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

oscar;1432011 wrote: Oh hang on... I just found this.

Thats not a hunger strike, thats a diet.
Oscar Namechange

YZGI;1432123 wrote: Thats not a hunger strike, thats a diet.

:yh_youkid:yh_youkid:yh_youkid
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Julie Christie has joined in too...................

I think Frankie is a brilliant comedian, and it only goes to show he has got a conscience, which is on a higher level than insulting a few personalities.

Let us pretend that Aamer is guilty, shouldn't any half decent authority charge and convict ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Oscar Namechange

Bruv;1432127 wrote: Julie Christie has joined in too...................

I think Frankie is a brilliant comedian, and it only goes to show he has got a conscience, which is on a higher level than insulting a few personalities.

Let us pretend that Aamer is guilty, shouldn't any half decent authority charge and convict ?

I think It's a very difficult situation for the Americans of which I can see their view.

Their evidence Is In the main circumstantial and flimsy and may not be enough to secure a conviction but It's fine for us to say, release him.

If they go to trial on the evidence they have, there Is a 50/50 chance he will be acquitted and walk free. Imagine the out rage If he returned to combat and was responsible or part responsible for another atrocity that killed Innocent people.

If America believes there Is every possibly that could happen and he could be a threat to life In the future, then they can detain him under The law of war.

Before we protest too loudly, then compare It to our situation with Abu Qatada deemed a serious threat to National Security by our government. If It wasn't for Human Rights laws, our government would have no doubt done exactly the same and had him In Belmarsh Prison Indefinately so he could cause no more harm.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

This is one American who says "give them a trial or set them free". It's disgusting, as Snowfire said, an abomination.
gmc

Post by gmc »

oscar;1432134 wrote: I think It's a very difficult situation for the Americans of which I can see their view.

Their evidence Is In the main circumstantial and flimsy and may not be enough to secure a conviction but It's fine for us to say, release him.

If they go to trial on the evidence they have, there Is a 50/50 chance he will be acquitted and walk free. Imagine the out rage If he returned to combat and was responsible or part responsible for another atrocity that killed Innocent people.

If America believes there Is every possibly that could happen and he could be a threat to life In the future, then they can detain him under The law of war.

Before we protest too loudly, then compare It to our situation with Abu Qatada deemed a serious threat to National Security by our government. If It wasn't for Human Rights laws, our government would have no doubt done exactly the same and had him In Belmarsh Prison Indefinately so he could cause no more harm.

America isn't holding him under any law of war since they ignore international treaties on the subject when it suits them to do so. They are also holding him outside the United States where their courts can't intervene. You really don't get the concept of innocent till proven guilty and why it is so important or why governments should not be allowed to hold people in prison just because they feel like it. The right to a fair trial is a basic human right - but I forget you think such concepts are a criminals charter.

Frankie Boyle may have his faults but at least he is not a daily mail reader.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

oscar;1432134 wrote: I think It's a very difficult situation for the Americans of which I can see their view.

................ If It wasn't for Human Rights laws, our government would have no doubt done exactly the same and had him In Belmarsh Prison indefinately so he could cause no more harm.

Very difficult, the most heavily armed nation in the history of the world........and some random Saudi..................right.

Good job he had the Euro courts to give his rights then ?........shame the Americans don't look to a higher authority for some moral guidance.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Return to “The Kitchen”