My Town

Post by tude dog »

1950's

1950s

May 2013

Bank opens 1887

Bank 1980's

recent

What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
YZGI

My Town

Post by YZGI »

What town is it?
Saint_

My Town

Post by Saint_ »

Looks like the bank never recovered from the crash of 89. The rest looks like Kansas, though. Flat but pretty.
Snowfire

My Town

Post by Snowfire »

Great photos. I like to see how the streets and buildings change.
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
tabby

My Town

Post by tabby »

Snowfire;1429486 wrote: Great photos. I like to see how the streets and buildings change.

Me too! Great post!
YZGI

My Town

Post by YZGI »

YZGI;1429479 wrote: What town is it?

Oh, I see A Portis Kansas on one of the pics.
along-for-the-ride

My Town

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. :)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Wandrin

My Town

Post by Wandrin »

I like old pictures of towns. It is fun to see what changes and what doesn't.
YZGI

My Town

Post by YZGI »

Not very big pics but this is the town I live in.

AnneBoleyn

My Town

Post by AnneBoleyn »

This is my neighborhood, this is the view from the elevated subway stop. More people live in my apartment building (there are four, but just counting my building) that live in Y's + T.D.'s towns put together.

Attached files
YZGI

My Town

Post by YZGI »

AnneBoleyn;1429548 wrote: This is my neighborhood, this is the view from the elevated subway stop. More people live in my apartment building (there are four, but just counting my building) that live in Y's + T.D.'s towns put together.

That almost looks like art. A lot of color.
Saint_

My Town

Post by Saint_ »

YZGI;1429551 wrote: That almost looks like art. A lot of color.

I was thinking the same thing.
AnneBoleyn

My Town

Post by AnneBoleyn »

It does look like a painting, but it's a photograph. I forgot what type of lenses or film was used. Those are the natural colors, only heightened.
AnneBoleyn

My Town

Post by AnneBoleyn »

If it looks familiar at all, the movie Glengarry Glen Ross was filmed on this street. Big thrill for the natives as the cast, Al Pacino, Jack Lemmon, Alec Baldwin & Alan Arkin, mingled with the locals & ate locally. I was living in Massachusetts at the time, but my mother was up on the latest news.
Saint_

My Town

Post by Saint_ »

My little town is in the high desert, just south of the continental divide and east of monument valley. It's a typical western boomtown, although it has diversified into a shopping, education, and health hub for the last two decades. The main street still has a 1940s charm, but the east end of town looks like any other california strip mall.

AnneBoleyn

My Town

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Looks like Brooklyn! With better parking!
along-for-the-ride

My Town

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I live in a very small town. These are a few photos (I didn't take them) from my area. The railroad use to run through and stop on the main street. There used to be a lot of little shops there. This was way before my time.

Attached files
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Bruv

My Town

Post by Bruv »

You guys want to see history, us Brits have got that in spades.

This picture, which I have only just discovered myself is the street I live on today.

There is a cross roads behind the two boys to the left, clicking on the picture shows the sign above the shop as The Wheatsheaf Inn, that is now an Off Licence owned by an Indian family, still called the wheatsheaf off licence.

The building to its left was where I lived until recently, because we have the shop below the flat, we have returned to my own house which is behind the photographer about 200 yards on the left.

Sorry I was so excited seeing this picture I had to post it.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
tabby

My Town

Post by tabby »

The county I live in has no towns, just a small courthouse area as the county seat. It's rural to say the least although there are lots of little towns dotting Southside Va.

Here is the road we live on and the entrance to the driveway is off to the right. We're a ways back from the road. It's very peaceful & serene!

AnneBoleyn

My Town

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Tabby, sure is peaceful & serene. Looks lovely. When there is a lot of rain, I guess it gets very muddy? I loved driving through rural VA. Must be really nice to wake up to every day.

I've never lived in such a noisy place before, where I am now. It feels like the sirens are constant---fire, ambulance, police. Always something.
AnneBoleyn

My Town

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Thanks to tude dog---You started a really nice thread.
tabby

My Town

Post by tabby »

AnneBoleyn;1429676 wrote: Tabby, sure is peaceful & serene. Looks lovely. When there is a lot of rain, I guess it gets very muddy? I loved driving through rural VA. Must be really nice to wake up to every day.

I've never lived in such a noisy place before, where I am now. It feels like the sirens are constant---fire, ambulance, police. Always something.

The road does get a little muddy but VDOT comes by periodically and puts down gravel which helps! If we have a really dry summer, clouds of dust fly up when a car goes down the road so VDOT comes along with a water sprinkler attachment to one of their trucks and dampens it down every few days.

A few years ago, there was a man running for the office of sheriff in a neighboring county and his name was Dusty Rhodes. I'm easily amused!
Wandrin

My Town

Post by Wandrin »

As you can tell, my little town doesn't change much over the years.

AnneBoleyn

My Town

Post by AnneBoleyn »

A few years ago, there was a man running for the office of sheriff in a neighboring county and his name was Dusty Rhodes. I'm easily amused!

Is this the same Dusty Rhodes who was a wrestler?
AnneBoleyn

My Town

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Wandrin, is this the town you grew up in? Do you still call it home? I thought your profile said you travel constantly & anywhere you hang your hat is home?

The pictures sure are pretty.
tabby

My Town

Post by tabby »

AnneBoleyn;1429834 wrote: A few years ago, there was a man running for the office of sheriff in a neighboring county and his name was Dusty Rhodes. I'm easily amused!

Is this the same Dusty Rhodes who was a wrestler?

I don't know ... I just saw the campaign signs along the roads ... Vote for Dusty Rhodes ...

I didn't even know there was a wrestler with the name!
tabby

My Town

Post by tabby »

Wandrin;1429811 wrote: As you can tell, my little town doesn't change much over the years.

Nice! It looks like there should be a gold mine nearby!
AnneBoleyn

My Town

Post by AnneBoleyn »

tabby;1429855 wrote: I don't know ... I just saw the campaign signs along the roads ... Vote for Dusty Rhodes ...

I didn't even know there was a wrestler with the name!

Yes & he was our American Dream.
Wandrin

My Town

Post by Wandrin »

AnneBoleyn;1429835 wrote: Wandrin, is this the town you grew up in? Do you still call it home? I thought your profile said you travel constantly & anywhere you hang your hat is home?

The pictures sure are pretty.

I still travel/wander a lot, but I bought a little place in the mountains. The house was the weekend project of a friend over the course of his career as a college prof. When he retired, he asked me if I would be interested. I was. The place is about 6 miles from town and about a 15 minute drive from the outskirts of Silicon Valley, nestled in the tall trees. Sometimes it just feels good to have a place to hang my hat. :)

Boulder Creek was originally a logging town for the redwoods that abound here.
AnneBoleyn

My Town

Post by AnneBoleyn »

That's Great Wandrin! Enjoy your new home. Sounds fabulous.
Wandrin

My Town

Post by Wandrin »

AnneBoleyn;1429868 wrote: That's Great Wandrin! Enjoy your new home. Sounds fabulous.

Thanks. I downsized my travelling rig too, since I have a house to put things in. Maintenance on the house and yard is really easy since the house is built of redwood and the yard is just 40 acres of tall trees.

To answer your other question, it is about 3,300 miles from where I was born in Maine.
tude dog

My Town

Post by tude dog »

Wandrin;1429873 wrote: Thanks. I downsized my travelling rig too, since I have a house to put things in. Maintenance on the house and yard is really easy since the house is built of redwood and the yard is just 40 acres of tall trees.

To answer your other question, it is about 3,300 miles from where I was born in Maine.

Beautiful country up there.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.

Return to “History”