am so worried

Come here to get informal advice on your pet's health, behavior issues, diet, and more.
summer69

am so worried

Post by summer69 »

Hi i have a 6yr old male staffi , he has a problem with his jaw he cant close it propley, he is having trouble eating but manages to eat its more messy then normal he cant seem to lick either and he looks like he is loosing his muscles around his jawline , i have taken him to the vets they x rayed his throat and looked in his mouth but cant find anything wrong, he was put on anti b and some inflammation med too but nothing has worked he has been bk twice now the last time they told me to wait until tue and bring him back , if no change they wil sedate him and look down his throat again, he also has really bad breath and very smelly wind ,today i have noticed his eyes are becoming really red the white part and he is having trouble with his ear on the same side ... he is his normal self but its just so worrying what is wrong with him so im hoping someone might have a idea , what it could be , many thanks xx
Oscar Namechange

am so worried

Post by Oscar Namechange »

It sounds very much to me like a tooth Infection or abcess under the teeth. He may not close his jaw because he's In pain. Insist your vet takes an X ray of the teeth as well as the jaw. He's losing the muscles In the jawline If he can't chew.

The bad breath Is In my humble opinion a clear Indication of tooth decay or an abcess In the mouth... I think your vet Is looking In the wrong place.

In the first Instance, put him on soft puppy food. Butchers puppy food Is very good and Insist the vet give him pain relief.

Let us know how he does.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
summer69

am so worried

Post by summer69 »

Hi oscar, thank you so much for your advice , I will certainly take on board what you have said and speak to the vets on tuesday and def let you no what they say , once again thank you so much x
valerie

am so worried

Post by valerie »

I don't mean to alarm you, but Staffies do seem to have a genetic

predisposition to mast cell tumors, and they can occur anywhere,

but I would think a vet exam would have turned that up.

The only other thing I can think of, not knowing what area you

live in, is that this time of year dogs can get a sticker called a

foxtail, and they can 'travel' and cause all sorts of problems.

Have you ever heard of these or know if you have them where

you are?

Oscar is right though, a bad tooth can seem to cause the symptoms

you are describing.

You might try giving him some active culture yogurt, if he's still on the

anti-bio's (which can kill gut bacteria and cause smelly rear ends!)

give him the yogurt separate from them, say not within 2 hours either

way of the anti-b's.

I know how it feels when something is not right with the fur kids, hope

you get it figured out and do let us know!
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

LarsMac

am so worried

Post by LarsMac »

Sandspurs and goatheads can get stuck in the back of their mouth, too.

Though, I would expect a vet yo have spotted that, as well.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
summer69

am so worried

Post by summer69 »

Hi all, i have taken my staffi back to the vets and was told to bring him today for sedation as they were going to x ray and have another look but late last night i did some research and came across masticatory muscle Myositis my khan has all the symptoms when we spoke to the vet this morning he agreed that could be the problem he couldn't believe the difference of the shape of khan head in less then a week, i asked for a blood test but the pdsa don't do them as its not government funding but the vet is going to speak to there lab and see if they can do a muscle freeze biopsy ,if they cant then i will take him to a private vets and go from there but i will keep you all updated .. thank you all for your comments liz x
Oscar Namechange

am so worried

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Rest assured that the PDSA are no worse than private vets because they are a charity. In fact, from all I have been told, they are a damn sight more caring.

The problem and only problem with the PDSA Is because they are run on donations, they treat the cause and do not offer preventative practice.

However, If they find the cause, they will give him the very best of treatment and care and I myself donate to them because they are so wonderful.

Keep us posted. We all have fur babies here.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
valerie

am so worried

Post by valerie »

Good for you for coming up with something!! Love it when I meet a

very caring owner who takes steps to try and help their sweeties!!

Very nice pic of him, hang in there, both of you!!

>
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Return to “Pet Advice Support”