Happy Memorial Day!

The Holiday Forum. Post about upcoming holidays.
tabby

Happy Memorial Day!

Post by tabby »

Wishing our American members a happy & enjoyable Memorial Day weekend! Do you have any special plans? Traveling? Cook-outs? Sleeping late? Attending a Memorial Day service?

Be safe and have a good time! :yh_flag

tude dog

Happy Memorial Day!

Post by tude dog »

No a whole lot here.

Next door to us a family has their annual reunion. It's odd because except for Memorial Day and the beginning of hunting season the house and church are vacant. The house originally belonged to a preacher and on the property is a church. Since him and the Mrs. passed the family had spread out. We always enjoy visiting with them, nice people.

Other than that I'll probably just so out and do some fishing. It'll be lonely fishing as my fishing buddy died just a few weeks ago. Fire up the bbq, burn some steaks. Drink beer.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
AnneBoleyn

Happy Memorial Day!

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Tude, so sorry you lost your friend! :-(

Condolences.

How far away is 'next door' to you?
tude dog

Happy Memorial Day!

Post by tude dog »

AnneBoleyn;1427876 wrote: Tude, so sorry you lost your friend! :-(

Condolences.

Thank you.

AnneBoleyn;1427876 wrote: How far away is 'next door' to you?

Property is just across a narrow road. From house to house I'd say 150'. My house to church, 75'. I live next to a two lane highway. On the other side of that is the nearest occupied house, 100'. Next house 250'. Each of the properties are an acre or more.
YZGI

Happy Memorial Day!

Post by YZGI »

Happy Memorial day? Bit of an oxymoron isn't it? LOL
tabby

Happy Memorial Day!

Post by tabby »

No, not really. I'm going to visit my brother's grave in Arlington but still hope to have a relaxing and pleasant time in spite of it. I hope everyone else does as well.

AnneBoleyn

Happy Memorial Day!

Post by AnneBoleyn »

tabby, did your brother die as a result of battle? Sorry for your loss, that must be tough to lose a brother. I love your new avatar btw. I love all your avatars.
tabby

Happy Memorial Day!

Post by tabby »

Yes, Anne, he was killed in combat at age 22. Here is a link if you’d like to know more ~~~~~> Removed

He was 16 years older than me and I thought the sun rose and set with him. At the time of his death, I was so young and I don’t really think I comprehended the loss fully but I remember being terribly frightened by the complete emotional devastation of every adult around me. Now that I’m older, I still tend to think of the loss in terms of others' loss and how it affected the people I love, my father in particular. Even though my Dad has passed away, I still feel his grief & loss more keenly than my own. For myself, I have more happy memories of Johnny than grief and am grateful for it.

There are references to his mother in the article but she’s not my mother, she’s my father’s first wife and Johnny’s mother.
along-for-the-ride

Happy Memorial Day!

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
LarsMac

Happy Memorial Day!

Post by LarsMac »

Most of my relatives are back east. I will spend Saturday driving across Kansas, yet again, and then dinner with the wife's family on Monday.

One guy I always remember on Memorial day was the only combat casualty from my high school class: Joe Benak

He was one of the few friends I had in school

FN JOSEPH FRANK BENAK
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
gmc

Happy Memorial Day!

Post by gmc »

Excuse a question from a non american. Why is it this time of the year. was it the end of the civil war or something.
along-for-the-ride

Happy Memorial Day!

Post by along-for-the-ride »

gmc;1427999 wrote: Excuse a question from a non american. Why is it this time of the year. was it the end of the civil war or something.

Memorial Day History :yh_flag

Attached files
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
tude dog

Happy Memorial Day!

Post by tude dog »

gmc;1427999 wrote: Excuse a question from a non american. Why is it this time of the year. was it the end of the civil war or something.

Great question, had to look it up.

Seems it is one of those things that just came to be about this time of year, and had much to do with our War Between the States. (Civil War).

Return to “Holidays”