For Brrits on U.S. Gun Control

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Penn & Teller on Gun Control------ It's worth watching the whole segment.

Penn & Teller: Bullshit! - Gun Control - YouTube
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Penn is a libertarian.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Ahso!;1426662 wrote: Penn is a libertarian.

And he's tall, too.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Accountable;1426696 wrote: And he's tall, too.

And he eats Broccoli.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

None of the so called logic is very logical................to me
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

And he's predictable. Not to say that his arguments aren't strong, they are. The problem for me is that this entire debate from too many people is in the context of guns being available and lack the ability to envision a society where guns are not manufactured for general consumption. The reason gun laws are designed to fail is because there is no way to get rid of them, so of course people intent on criminal activity for whatever reason might have a gun, and yes, get them illegally.

Roger Rosenblatt, who, by the way, is in fact a very thoughtful individual, is correct in my view that today's society can be without guns if we had the gumption to get them out of circulation. The society is headed that way anyway, and it's simply a matter of time.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
gmc

Post by gmc »

I have a right to carry a gun and I will shoot anyone who disagrees. I've got a gun come and take it off me? I suppose the notion that a man with a gun feels it's OK to terrorise people in the name of freedom is not an issue. The guys a nutter.

Don't you get fed up with the argument that people get killed with knives, people get killed with guns, so if you are going to ban guns you should ban knives. How can you argue with someone that can't see the flaw in that kind of reasoning?

It's a peculiarly american problem, the irony is you think you are normal and everybody else is wrong.

BBC News - Why British police don’t have guns

Arming the force would, say opponents, undermine the principle of policing by consent - the notion that the force owes its primary duty to the public, rather than to the state, as in other countries.

Not saying our police are perfect - far from it but they were set up specifically so they would not be seen as just serving as an instrument of oppression. A policeman being shot is headline news all over the country. Can you name any police killed in the line of duty over the last five years? Most people in the UK could probably name art least one or two.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

gmc;1426727 wrote:

Can you name any police killed in the line of duty over the last five years? Most people in the UK could probably name art least one or two.

PC Kieth Blakelock

PC Yvonne Fletcher

PC Ian Broadhurst

PC David Rathband

PC Sharon Beshenivsky

There you go... off the top of my head... you are right... just proved that for you
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon

Return to “General Chit Chat”