Our Throw away society...

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Today was a revelation for me.

It was the second time I visited the Municipal Tip.

First time was as a favour for a neighbour but today I finally started to clear my garage.

I just can't believe the amount of cars down there and the sheer volume of crap people throw away. I did three trips today but I think for the first time, after seeing the amount, It really hit me In what we throw away and why.

I actually picked out a Stool ( not that kind ), a beautiful woven floor rug and a bedroom chair In perfect condition because I know the local ' Paws' charity shop can sell them.

I think back to my childhood when my mother even showed me how to turn a shirt collar, to sew and repair and how everything ' would come in handy one day' and she was Invariably right.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

I think, within these recycling centers, as useful as they are, they should have a facility - such as I've seen in Northampton - whereby people can leave their stuff for exchange. Maybe even make a small donation for charity at the same time. I dont see the point in having perfectly serviceable items crushed, when they might find a better home
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

Snowfire;1426071 wrote: I think, within these recycling centers, as useful as they are, they should have a facility - such as I've seen in Northampton - whereby people can leave their stuff for exchange. Maybe even make a small donation for charity at the same time. I dont see the point in having perfectly serviceable items crushed, when they might find a better home That's a really good Idea.

I have to say that i was really Impressed with the set up. all the different departments, metal, wood, etc etc.

When I did the trip for the neighbour, there was a lovely wooden children's cot for Dolls... Looked really expensive and I saw another woman take that out and put It In her car.

The charity shops I am sure could benefit from some sort of scheme like that.

I got a meeting soon with local Councillors.... think that's worth a mention In the right ear.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

I have a washing machine that is immaculate and works perfectly well except for noisy bearings on the spin cycle. I'm sure it could be of use to someone, at least for the life of the bearings, rather than disposed of. If there was a facility at the depot, I'd gladly leave it for someone to take
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

Snowfire;1426073 wrote: I have a washing machine that is immaculate and works perfectly well except for noisy bearings on the spin cycle. I'm sure it could be of use to someone, at least for the life of the bearings, rather than disposed of. If there was a facility at the depot, I'd gladly leave it for someone to take

Some years ago we used to have a unit In a nearby town where you donated furniture, washing machines, cookers etc. The Idea was to sell It on to those In need but Landlords and traders took advantage.
tabby

Post by tabby »

There's a little area at our county landfill where people leave items that are still usable and/or repairable. One time I picked up a brand new garden hose still in its original packaging.

Other finds were:

2 large notebook binders full of recipes that had been clipped from magazines in the 1950s and 1960s and very carefully organized in plastic sleeves. Someone had clearly put a lot of thought and time into this project and it was sad to see it discarded but at least it had been set it aside for someone else.

1 large cardboard box full of wonderfully kitschy 1950s Melmac dinnerware in perfect condition.
Oscar Namechange

tabby;1426127 wrote: There's a little area at our county landfill where people leave items that are still usable and/or repairable. One time I picked up a brand new garden hose still in its original packaging.

Other finds were:

2 large notebook binders full of recipes that had been clipped from magazines in the 1950s and 1960s and very carefully organized in plastic sleeves. Someone had clearly put a lot of thought and time into this project and it was sad to see it discarded but at least it had been set it aside for someone else.

1 large cardboard box full of wonderfully kitschy 1950s Melmac dinnerware in perfect condition.

My husband Is a dreadful hoarder Tabby. Me, I'm the opposite, I hate clutter.

Yesterday was a real struggle wrenching things from his grasp to take to the tip but you're right, what people throw away Is very sad because It represents a part of their life.

Last night I was thinking about what I myself had thrown away... A Teak Dining table and 4 chairs, and a newly new pram etc. Anyway, there's a lot more to go but I rang the animal charity this morning and asked If they would like to come to my garage to have a look first. They were delighted and said they'd take anything I've got so I feel better now.

I never expected to come back from the tip with other people's stuff though.

Seriously... The hand woven floor rug In perfect condition, I've seen them go for big money.
gmc

Post by gmc »

oscar;1426130 wrote: My husband Is a dreadful hoarder Tabby. Me, I'm the opposite, I hate clutter.

Yesterday was a real struggle wrenching things from his grasp to take to the tip but you're right, what people throw away Is very sad because It represents a part of their life.

(Note to self: No! no! you mustn't:lips:)

He must be since he's kept you all these years:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

(sorry couldn't resist the temptation:o)

Post by 911 »

I don't know what a "tip" is but we have several thrift shops here and you can take your stuff there, they give you a slip and you fill out what you think the stuff is worth and take it off your taxes.

I used to do all the flower arrangements for the retirment parties at work and I would go to the thrift store and get beautiful vases to use. One third the price at a store.

Hint: If you have clothes that are too weathered to give away and you're gonna trash them---take the buttons off and save them. Never know when you'll need one and you won't have to buy one. If you have a shirt or blouse that you don't like anymore, try putting different buttons on them to match another outfit or just spruce it up.
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West
Oscar Namechange

911;1426276 wrote: I don't know what a "tip" is but we have several thrift shops here and you can take your stuff there, they give you a slip and you fill out what you think the stuff is worth and take it off your taxes.

I used to do all the flower arrangements for the retirment parties at work and I would go to the thrift store and get beautiful vases to use. One third the price at a store.

Hint: If you have clothes that are too weathered to give away and you're gonna trash them---take the buttons off and save them. Never know when you'll need one and you won't have to buy one. If you have a shirt or blouse that you don't like anymore, try putting different buttons on them to match another outfit or just spruce it up.

This Is my local Tip.

Mangotsfield Sort It centre - South Gloucestershire Council

I like the Idea of Thrift stores.

Post by 911 »

OK, I understand. That's nice.

So if you see something you like you can take it and not have to pay for it? Totally cool!

We used to have curbside recycling but the city stopped it. Now you have to take it to the center but it's too far away so not many people do it. Two Saturdays a month you can take anything to several places around town and they take it. From the kitchen sink to a couch, but the truck crunches it up right away.

That's where thrift stores come in. There are several stores that will come to your house and tote it away for you. There are even several places that will take away your car if you donate it and you can take it off your taxes.
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West

Return to “General Chit Chat”