gmc

Germany sunnier than the U.S.

Post by gmc »

Fox Cedes Solar Industry To Germany | Blog | Media Matters for America

Speechless
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Don't pay attention to Fox News. They don't know what the fox they are talking about. They just follow Agendas. I am so glad you found Media Matters. They do excellent work.
gmc

Post by gmc »

AnneBoleyn;1419588 wrote: Don't pay attention to Fox News. They don't know what the fox they are talking about. They just follow Agendas. I am so glad you found Media Matters. They do excellent work.

Do their viewers realise just how silly and wrong a report like that is? If it's that bad why does anyone watch it?

Coming to you from tropical scotland.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Those dasterdly Germans. Hogging all the sunlight now.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

gmc;1419592 wrote: Do their viewers realise just how silly and wrong a report like that is? If it's that bad why does anyone watch it?

Coming to you from tropical scotland.

Fox doesn't speak to a vacuum. It is the most popular cable news channel. It has an audience even worse than they are.
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

Oh no! It won't be long before jackbooted government thugs come to take away my solar panels! Oops. I got that confused with some other Fox story.
gmc

Post by gmc »

I find it really hard to believe that americans are so thick or uneducated that they would just germany gets more sunshine than the US just because it was on fox news. I know we occasionally make fun of Americans and then have to explain the concept of taking the piss so please reassure me you are not all that daft and this was not a serious news programme.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

gmc;1419608 wrote: I find it really hard to believe that americans are so thick or uneducated that they would just germany gets more sunshine than the US just because it was on fox news. I know we occasionally make fun of Americans and then have to explain the concept of taking the piss so please reassure me you are not all that daft and this was not a serious news programme.

So, you're saying Germany Doesn't get more sunshine?
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Wandrin;1419602 wrote: Oh no! It won't be long before jackbooted government thugs come to take away my solar panels! Oops. I got that confused with some other Fox story.

Thing is, Media Matters doesn't matter.

I didn't see where Fox News claimed anything. They they referer to a show and make claims.

Anyone heard of Solyndra?

Report: Taxpayer loss due to Solyndra may be as high as $849 million

Hundreds of millions of tax dollars, wasted for what?

As much as anybody wants, the dream of affordable solar energy cannot be legislated.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

How many times do you see Fox News mentioned at Popular Science (magazine)? I think this might be a first.

Fox News Claims Germany Has More Solar Power Than U.S. Because It's Sunnier There | Popular Science
gmc

Post by gmc »

tude dog;1419623 wrote: Thing is, Media Matters doesn't matter.

I didn't see where Fox News claimed anything. They they referer to a show and make claims.

Anyone heard of Solyndra?

Report: Taxpayer loss due to Solyndra may be as high as $849 million

Hundreds of millions of tax dollars, wasted for what?

As much as anybody wants, the dream of affordable solar energy cannot be legislated.

So, seriously, you don't see anything wrong with them saying germany gets more sun the the US and that's why they are more successful at using solar energy?
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

tude dog;1419623 wrote: Thing is, Media Matters doesn't matter.

What you mean is it doesn't matter to YOU. Better to hide under that rock than have their analysis see the light of day.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

gmc;1419634 wrote: So, seriously, you don't see anything wrong with them saying germany gets more sun the the US and that's why they are more successful at using solar energy?

Anybody here ever listen to the show, "Fox and Friends?"?

It is suppose to be funny, lighthearted like all broadcast news/entertainment morning shows.

It is a stupid show, not really funny. Not at all different than one might expect from MSMBC, or any other broadcast TV. They all do the same stick.

As far as Media Matters, they are an advocate organization, and like all such organizations it is always suspect when it comes to the concept of credibility.

YMMV

edit:

Media Matters for America is a

Web-based, not-for-profit, 501(c)(3) progressive research and information center dedicated to comprehensively monitoring, analyzing, and correcting conservative misinformation

in the U.S. media.

Looks to me like they have an agenda.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

We all have agendas my friend.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

AnneBoleyn;1419685 wrote: We all have agendas my friend.

As I tried to point out earlier, in this case it is obvious to me Media Matters totally misrepresented what is going on.

In other words lied.
gmc

Post by gmc »

tude dog;1419691 wrote: As I tried to point out earlier, in this case it is obvious to me Media Matters totally misrepresented what is going on.

In other words lied.

They showed the item in from fox in it's entirety. Are you saying it was fake? I don't normally watch fox news or fox and friends any more than I would expect you to watch Scotland to day or reporting Scotland. Was the whole thing intended as a joke or was fox news actually suggesting that germany are more advanced than the US at solar energy because they get more sun? If it was a serious news piece - well surely they can't be that stupid.

As far as Media Matters, they are an advocate organization, and like all such organizations it is always suspect when it comes to the concept of credibility.

They are not the ones suggesting the US gets less sun than germany that claim rather makes the rest of their assertions, well you have to wonder if they are nonsense as well. Oil is a finite resource in another thirty years or so you will have to find alternatives sticking your heads in the sand and pretending it will not happen is a bit silly.

Just reassure me - you don't think that germany has more sun than the US do you? I don't agree with much of what you post and I doubt very much you agree with me very often but I don't think you are an idiot.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

gmc;1419713 wrote: They showed the item in from fox in it's entirety.

Help me out, I missed that. Went back, can't find.

gmc;1419713 wrote: Are you saying it was fake? I don't normally watch fox news or fox and friends any more than I would expect you to watch Scotland to day or reporting Scotland. Was the whole thing intended as a joke or was fox news actually suggesting that germany are more advanced than the US at solar energy because they get more sun? If it was a serious news piece - well surely they can't be that stupid.

What I am trying to tell you is the show Fox and Friends is entertainment. Without text, or context, where we going?[/QUOTE]
gmc

Post by gmc »

tude dog;1419715 wrote: Help me out, I missed that. Went back, can't find.

What I am trying to tell you is the show Fox and Friends is entertainment. Without text, or context, where we going?

Fox Cedes Solar Industry To Germany | Blog | Media Matters for America

Watch the video to the very end

Fox Business reporter Shibani Joshi, who said that Germany's solar industry is doing "great" because "they've got a lot more sun than we do,

She does actually say it.

In the seventies when i was a student I knew a german physicist studying in the UK doing research on solar power cells. He came from dortmund and even then expected to make his career developing solar energy. In the UK we have done the same as America, probably for the same stupid reasons and cut funding for research and subsidies that were designed to increase take up. What makes sense for the next five years often looks really stupid and short sighted ten years from now. Trouble;e is politicians can't see past their next election and playing then power games of politics everywhere. If they had any brains they might be dangerous.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

tude dog;1419715 wrote: Help me out, I missed that. Went back, can't find.

What I am trying to tell you is the show Fox and Friends is entertainment. Without text, or context, where we going?.

OK, I believe I found the link.

Fox Cedes America's Solar Industry To Germany

According to Media Matters, a guest represents Fox.

Hmm, that only confirms my view of the MSM.
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

tude dog;1419723 wrote: .

The "guest" was Shibani Joshi - a reporter for Fox Business.
gmc

Post by gmc »

tude dog;1419723 wrote: .

How can you form a view of MSM if you don't even bother looking properly at what they have to say? They showed the fox item in it's entirety and commented on it, you assume they were making stuff up without even bothering to look at the video. Even now you insist the "guest" must be an outsider brought in to discredit fox despite being introduced on the programme as a fox correspondent and by media matters as Fox Business reporter Shibani Joshi

Do you actually believe what she claimed - that germany gets more sun than the US which is why their solar energy programme is more successful? Surely fox news viewers can't be that stupid. Actually the reporter must be pretty thick as well if that is what she thinks.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

"Surely fox news viewers can't be that stupid"

But they are, gmc, which is what I've been trying to tell you. Fox News is not the Onion. It is not satire. It is the world as they wish you would see it.

As for you, tude, you are being disingenuous in describing Fox & Friends as pure entertainment. It is cable's answer to the Today Show on NBC & Good Morning America on ABC, etc. It is news & entertainment, it is no different from those shows except in attitude.
gmc

Post by gmc »

AnneBoleyn;1419966 wrote: "Surely fox news viewers can't be that stupid"

But they are, gmc, which is what I've been trying to tell you. Fox News is not the Onion. It is not satire. It is the world as they wish you would see it.

As for you, tude, you are being disingenuous in describing Fox & Friends as pure entertainment. It is cable's answer to the Today Show on NBC & Good Morning America on ABC, etc. It is news & entertainment, it is no different from those shows except in attitude.

OK that's really depressing. Even daily mail readers wouldn't believe that one.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

First of all, where did the guest speak for FOX?

Doesn't matter.

This where I hate video reports as opposed to transcripts.

Pay closer attention.

The speaker at about the 3:00 mark speaks to the differences between say, California and the east coast. Germany in size is puny compared to the U.S. Easier to formulate a nation plan .

Need I point out that her comment came after pointing out almost a billion dollars of failed tax payer investment?

All this said, I don't know this woman, her motives, and could care less. I don't monitor FOX or any other of the major news/entertainment outlets.

Can somebody please, just please show me anther worthless site comparable to Media Matters of the Conservative bent I should ignore?
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

tude dog;1420122 wrote:

Can somebody please, just please show me anther worthless site comparable to Media Matters of the Conservative bent I should ignore?

You're cute when you're hostile. :-4
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

AnneBoleyn;1420129 wrote: You're cute when you're hostile. :-4

AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Is that you?
gmc

Post by gmc »

tude dog;1420122 wrote: First of all, where did the guest speak for FOX?

Doesn't matter.

This where I hate video reports as opposed to transcripts.

Pay closer attention.

The speaker at about the 3:00 mark speaks to the differences between say, California and the east coast. Germany in size is puny compared to the U.S. Easier to formulate a nation plan .

Need I point out that her comment came after pointing out almost a billion dollars of failed tax payer investment?

All this said, I don't know this woman, her motives, and could care less. I don't monitor FOX or any other of the major news/entertainment outlets.

I would suggest fox news. The "guest" wasn't a guest she works for fox news.

Do you actually believe what she claimed - that germany gets more sun than the US which is why their solar energy programme is more successful?

She seriously gave that as a reason. Are you daft enough to believe her? You didn't have to respond to this thread but at the very least you could have looked at what it was about before commenting.

#

Whatever the reason for the failure it wasn't for lack of sunshine and if they can seriously suggest that as part of the reason it does rather suggest the rest of the analysis may be deeply flawed. I don't know her motives either nor do I really care but you are an american if that is the level of analysis you are given then I would put it to you that you have a problem.

Transcripts and the video itself are all over the internet. The world is laughing.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

gmc;1420163 wrote: I would suggest fox news. The "guest" wasn't a guest she works for fox news.

Whatever

gmc;1420163 wrote: She seriously gave that as a reason.

NO, not the way Media matters or you are presenting it.

gmc;1420163 wrote: Are you daft enough to believe her?

Not a matter of what I believe.

gmc;1420163 wrote: You didn't have to respond to this thread but at the very least you could have looked at what it was about before commenting

#

Gee Wizz

I took the time to look up the Youtube video which as far as I can see this Media Matter did not supply on the OP thread.

gmc;1420163 wrote: Whatever the reason for the failure it wasn't for lack of sunshine and if they can seriously suggest that as part of the reason it does rather suggest the rest of the analysis may be deeply flawed. I don't know her motives either nor do I really care but you are an american if that is the level of analysis you are given then I would put it to you that you have a problem.

Our problem is, not solar energy, it is Media Mattes.

gmc;1420163 wrote: Transcripts and the video itself are all over the internet. The world is laughing.

ha ha

So where does Media Matters matter?
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Yes, Media Matters, a group who analyzes news & openly quotes sources, is the Real Problem America Faces. :yh_youkid
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

AnneBoleyn;1420174 wrote: Yes, Media Matters, a group who analyzes news & openly quotes sources, is the Real Problem America Faces. :yh_youkid

Fair enough, if that is the way you see them.
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

AnneBoleyn;1420174 wrote: Yes, Media Matters, a group who analyzes news & openly quotes sources, is the Real Problem America Faces. :yh_youkid

It is a handy resource for those times that Fox or Breitbart deceptively edit a video and then feigns outrage, since they show both the original and edited versions. It serves a similar function to politifact, factcheck.org, and Snopes.
gmc

Post by gmc »

tude dog;1420167 wrote: Whatever

NO, not the way Media matters or you are presenting it.

Not a matter of what I believe.

Gee Wizz

I took the time to look up the Youtube video which as far as I can see this Media Matter did not supply on the OP thread.

Our problem is, not solar energy, it is Media Mattes.

ha ha

So where does Media Matters matter?

You're incredible, no wonder America is in the mess it is if you're typical.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Wandrin;1420182 wrote: It is a handy resource for those times that Fox or Breitbart deceptively edit a video and then feigns outrage, since they show both the original and edited versions. It serves a similar function to politifact, factcheck.org, and Snopes.

That's all find and good.

Meanwhile do they keep an eye on MSMBC?

MSNBC ‘reviewing’ Newtown ‘heckled’ video

MSNBC is reviewing its portrayal of the testimony of Neil Heslin, the father of a Sandy Hook victim, at a legislative hearing in Hartford on Monday. The 33-second video clip in question, embedded above, features a graphics box saying “Mocked and Loaded. Sandy Hook Victim’s Father Heckled by Gun Rights Advocates.”

“We’re reviewing the video in question,” says an MSNBC source.

Smart move, considering that Heslin wasn’t, in fact, heckled. Audience members merely answered a challenge that Heslin posed from the microphone.

Washington Post

Not the first time for MSNBC.

Have to admit they are usually more subtle in confusing fact with fiction.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

gmc;1420220 wrote: You're incredible, no wonder America is in the mess it is if you're typical.

Cute, totally out of context. Taking lessons from Media Matters or MSNBC I suppose.:D
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

tude dog;1420223 wrote: That's all find and good.

Meanwhile do they keep an eye on MSMBC?

MSNBC ‘reviewing’ Newtown ‘heckled’ video

Not the first time for MSNBC.

Have to admit they are usually more subtle in confusing fact with fiction.

Yes, MSNBC was chastised by Slate and other pubs. Meanwhile WND (right wing) attacked the character of Mr Heslin in an attempt to nullify his words.

Yes, some of the media show bias. MSNBC running a story, then retracting it is not quite in the same league as those media who constantly make things up to fit a political agenda and then make up even more to explain it when they get caught. I like Fox. It is pretty funny, but a comedy channel like Fox "news" really should get some better writers because the repeat the same schtick over and over again.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

gmc;1420220 wrote: You're incredible, no wonder America is in the mess it is if you're typical.

TD, while not necessarily typical, represents at least a third of the population, if not a bit more. TD is no stranger to me, and more likeable than many.
gmc

Post by gmc »

AnneBoleyn;1420262 wrote: TD, while not necessarily typical, represents at least a third of the population, if not a bit more. TD is no stranger to me, and more likeable than many.

We have them as well.

Solar Energy in Germany: Where the Sun Don't Shine | The Energy Collective

Fox News expert on solar energy: Germany gets "a lot more sun than we do."

According to maps put out by the U.S. Department of Energy's National Renewable Energy Laboratory, virtually the entirety of the continental United States gets more sun than even the sunniest part of Germany. In fact, NREL senior scientist Sarah Kurtz said via email, "Germany's solar resource is akin to Alaska's," the U.S. state with by far the lowest annual average of direct solar energy.

Even the Germans are laughing.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

We have them as well.

Of course you do, gmc, & I met more than a few yahoos in the British Isles & Europe (sorry td, really). But the fact is when America goes nutty the whole world feels it.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

gmc;1420266 wrote: We have them as well.

Solar Energy in Germany: Where the Sun Don't Shine | The Energy Collective

Fox News expert on solar energy: Germany gets "a lot more sun than we do."

Even the Germans are laughing.

One person expressed an opinion does not represent an editorial position of FOX news.

The whole problem Media Matters had was somebody expressed an opinion. So by most of us not exactly a bright thing to say.

Happens everyday on every news/entertainment show. A live news report then a news reader opines. Who asked him/her?

It's chronic.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

AnneBoleyn;1420262 wrote: TD, while not necessarily typical, represents at least a third of the population, if not a bit more. TD is no stranger to me, and more likeable than many.

gmc

Post by gmc »

AnneBoleyn;1420267 wrote: We have them as well.

Of course you do, gmc, & I met more than a few yahoos in the British Isles & Europe (sorry td, really). But the fact is when America goes nutty the whole world feels it.

We usually take the piss out of ours. Trouble in pointing out something is arrant nonsense to some of yours they seem to be incapable of understanding that something factual is true no matter who says it and equally when somebody says something that is so obviously not factually true it is still untrue.

Germany gets more sun than the US is quite simply not true. How anyone can defend fox news and accuse media matters of lying is beyond me. Incidentally I had never heard of media matters it was just the link that i used because it had the full video.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I guess Florida must change it's nickname from the Sunshine State.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

tude dog;1419691 wrote: As I tried to point out earlier, in this case it is obvious to me Media Matters totally misrepresented what is going on.

In other words lied.

maybe not so much...

But I incorrectly stated that the chief difference between the U.S. and Germany’s success with solar installations had to do with climate differences on a "Fox and Friends" appearance on Feb. 7. In fact, the difference come down more to subsidies and political priorities and has nothing to with sunshine.

Read more: Germany isn’t all that sunny and a case for a diversified energy world | Fox News

I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

tude dog

Post by tude dog »

gmc;1420271 wrote: We usually take the piss out of ours. Trouble in pointing out something is arrant nonsense to some of yours they seem to be incapable of understanding that something factual is true no matter who says it and equally when somebody says something that is so obviously not factually true it is still untrue.

Germany gets more sun than the US is quite simply not true. How anyone can defend fox news and accuse media matters of lying is beyond me. Incidentally I had never heard of media matters it was just the link that i used because it had the full video.

This just blows my mind, really.

If not for Media Matters, we would not be talking about this.

My government (Obama) threw away hundreds of millions of dollars in an effort to prove solar energy.

That was the first 2/3rds of that video.

What dose Media Matters concentrate on?

A stupid comment. Something done every day on the every news/entertainment program in this country.

I believe I made my point, ready to mosey along.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

We all know of the news of the asteroid passing near our Earth, and a meteor blowing up in Russia.

So what is most on the mind of CNN?

CNN Anchor Blames Asteroid on Global Warming

CNN, thinks rocks from outer space cause global warming.

OK, works for me.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Great comeback TD!
gmc

Post by gmc »

flopstock;1420285 wrote: maybe not so much...

That's more like it - although there seems little concern over the environmental damage fracking does. Still doesn't explain why she made such an inane comment in the first place.

Posted by tude dog

We all know of the news of the asteroid passing near our Earth, and a meteor blowing up in Russia.

So what is most on the mind of CNN?

CNN Anchor Blames Asteroid on Global Warming

CNN, thinks rocks from outer space cause global warming.

OK, works for me.

So a news reader makes an inane comment - bit different from someone claiming to be an expert on the subject like the fox news one. Does make you wonder about the american edcation system though.

If not for Media Matters, we would not be talking about this.

That just happened to be the link I used, I'd never even heard of media matters till now, this was all over the internet, every now and then an American news programme comes out with something so ridiculous about other countries it hits the mainstream media elsewhere. Try and understand I am not an american so what fox news does or says is not something I pay regular attention to.

Just glad the asteroid didn't hit america or we would have pundits claiming it was the end of the world, a communist/environmentalist plot to ruin the economy or god's punishment for allowing gays in the military. Sorry if that offends but you seem to have more than your fair share of conspiracy theorists. perhaps with good reason though:sneaky:
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

gmc;1420384 wrote:

Posted by tude dog

So a news reader makes an inane comment - bit different from someone claiming to be an expert on the subject like the fox news one. Does make you wonder about the american edcation system though.

I see.

CNN hires news readers to make moronic statements, and FOX has a forum where guests can express less than brilliant comments.
gmc

Post by gmc »

tude dog;1420406 wrote: I see.

CNN hires news readers to make moronic statements, and FOX has a forum where guests can express less than brilliant comments.

Dunno, nowadays I look at al jazeera and russia today as well as the bbc and sky for for different takes on the same story. CNN seems OK but I just watch the news bulletins sometimes. Local American news is not that interesting - I doubt you are that interested in hillwalkers being killed in avalanches on the cairngorms. It's only the nuttier claims, like this one about germany, that get attention. If it's that bad go online and watch news programmes and read papers from around the world, the different emphasis is enlightening sometimes.

Return to “Science”