Bullets and Rifles and Guns! OH MY!!

halfway

Post by halfway »

Ayup...no personal attacks or condescension here....ha!!!!
My Journal of a New Endeavor
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

tude dog;1415932 wrote: As a rule guns save lives.

Ahso!;1415935 wrote: Now that is a telling sentence.
LOL! You beat me to it, Ahso. Dog, if guns don't kill, then they don't save lives, either. Gotta be consistent.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Ahso!;1415938 wrote: No, but you would kill the parasite or whatever that was causing the sickness. Or you might switch off a gene that was causing a problem if you could identify it. You'd also make sure that gene remained in the off position in future generations.

Peanut allergy kills 150 Americans each year, many of them children. There is no benefit at all that peanuts provide that can't be provided from something else, yet we don't ban peanuts. It's a bad analogy. I won't respond further, though I expect you will have to.
halfway

Post by halfway »

Grizzly bears eat people. They eat people who are caught by accident. They eat people who do dumb things.

We are attempting to further their range into the Church Wilderness area to connect to the greater yellowstone region. This is expansion of a known killer. This is in direct conflict with established human habitat. I have worked on several studies to include tracking and habitat compatibility. I like bears. I like grizzly bears. I am involved in human-bear contact mitigation.

But isn't just one death too many?

We do silly things while complaining about other silly things. Feeble humans and their quirky human nature.

Get's us every time!
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Accountable;1415962 wrote: Peanut allergy kills 150 Americans each year, many of them children. There is no benefit at all that peanuts provide that can't be provided from something else, yet we don't ban peanuts. It's a bad analogy. I won't respond further, though I expect you will have to.:wah: That's one instance where you might want to do the gene thing.

Tunnel vision not withstanding, the analogy works. The intent behind peanut growing is not to kill.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Someone, I think TD, made a point about hoping David Gregory is prosecuted to the fullest extent for his use of a gun magazine to illustrate a point on Meet The Press a few weeks ago.

Here's what the president of the NRA had to say about that recently.

Meanwhile, NRA president David Keene has said that he does not believe Gregory should be prosecuted. "I really think what David Gregory did while he was inadvertently flouting the law was illustrating in a very graphic way, perhaps not intentionally, but in a graphic way just how silly some of these laws are," Keene said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/0 ... ref=topbar

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

AnneBoleyn;1415934 wrote: When Piers is deported can he please take Jeremy Kyle with him? :-)

No sorry. Thems aint the rules. You gets them both fer keeps. We've disowned the pair. The smarmy rat faced twats, both of them.

I've got other words, none of which could be repeated in mixed company.
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Ahso!;1416029 wrote: Someone, I think TD, made a point about hoping David Gregory is prosecuted to the fullest extent for his use of a gun magazine to illustrate a point on Meet The Press a few weeks ago.

Here's what the president of the NRA had to say about that recently.

D.C. Attorney General's Office Will Complete David Gregory Investigation Over Gun Magazine

I was well aware of what the pres of the NRA had said.

My attitude is if a traveler just ignorant was caught, he/she would be just plain screwed.

I said before, nothing personal against Mr.Greogrey, but if he is busy promoting such laws he should be the first to obey them where they exist.

He would make a good example of the law.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Accountable;1415961 wrote: LOL! You beat me to it, Ahso. Dog, if guns don't kill, then they don't save lives, either. Gotta be consistent.

So true. Gotta watch the lingo.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

tude dog;1415932 wrote: As a rule guns save lives.

No, tens of thousands of lives are taken for every one saved. That's the rule. I dare you to post murders vs. self defense death statistics. Go ahead...make my day.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Saint_;1417183 wrote: No, tens of thousands of lives are taken for every one saved. That's the rule. I dare you to post murders vs. self defense death statistics. Go ahead...make my day.You say "That's the rule"? You prove it. One doesn't have to kill someone to save a life.

Show me that study showing your claim that "tens of thousands of lives are taken for every one saved."
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Ahso!;1417218 wrote: Very funny video on guns.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/1 ... ref=comedy

Please explain to the rest of us what is funny about the irresponsible handling of guns?
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

A funny thing happened at a gun show. Oh no, this doesn't happen.

The fairground is operated by the state agriculture department. Agency spokesman Brian Long says a 12-gauge shotgun discharged while its owner unzipped its case for a law enforcement officer to check it at a security entrance.

Dixie Gun And Knife Show Shooting: 2 Hurt In Accidental Incident In North Carolina, Officials Say

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Ahso!;1417268 wrote: A funny thing happened at a gun show. Oh no, this doesn't happen.

Dixie Gun And Knife Show Shooting: 2 Hurt In Accidental Incident In North Carolina, Officials Say

That is funny?
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

tude dog;1417441 wrote: That is funny?OH, TD, you're so easily moved. "Funny" in that you claim that guns do not malfunction. There must have been a mouse inside that case pulling the trigger. Right?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

tude dog;1417441 wrote: That is funny?
Well, it sure is Ironic! :-)
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Ahso!;1417445 wrote: OH, TD, you're so easily moved. "Funny" in that you claim that guns do not malfunction. There must have been a mouse inside that case pulling the trigger. Right?

Tell me where in the article the gun went off by itself.

One way or the other, the trigger was pulled.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tude dog;1417468 wrote: Tell me where in the article the gun went off by itself.

One way or the other, the trigger was pulled.

Seeing as you refused to answer last time I asked, maybe you'll answer this time :-

Are you saying that it is impossible for a gun (with the safety catch off), either though wear or though maladjustment, to go off without the trigger being pulled?
halfway

Post by halfway »

Bryn Mawr;1417469 wrote: Seeing as you refused to answer last time I asked, maybe you'll answer this time :-

Are you saying that it is impossible for a gun (with the safety catch off), either though wear or though maladjustment, to go off without the trigger being pulled?

Even if it did, is it such an event to warrant any type of reaction? Cars jump out of gear, strollers roll down hills, what is the point??

Guns are evil.

Guns kill people.

I knew a gun that was also anti-Semitic. Talk about a bad gun.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

halfway;1417473 wrote: Even if it did, is it such an event to warrant any type of reaction? Cars jump out of gear, strollers roll down hills, what is the point??

Guns are evil.

Guns kill people.

I knew a gun that was also anti-Semitic. Talk about a bad gun.One point is that neither you nor your sidekick are capable of conceding even the most obvious of events. The both of you are trolls and the more you post the more obvious that becomes.

You do nothing for the integrity of a forum other than diminish it.

I'm just wondering how long you're going to be tolerated.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Bryn Mawr;1417469 wrote: Seeing as you refused to answer last time I asked, maybe you'll answer this time :-

If I ever said it is impossible, I apologize.

My persistence on this is the the concept that guns just go off is nonsense.

I can't count the number of stories of "was shot when the gun went off."

Excuses excuses excuses, , ,

I cannot remember even one example of a gun going off due solely to malfunction.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Ahso!;1417476 wrote: One point is that neither you nor your sidekick are capable of conceding even the most obvious of events. The both of you are trolls and the more you post the more obvious that becomes.

I'm just wondering how long you're going to be tolerated.

Obvious event was an idiot brought a loaded shotgun to an event and caused the firearm to fire.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Ahso!;1417476 wrote: One point is that neither you nor your sidekick are capable of conceding even the most obvious of events.

Quite crying. Post something of substance for a change.

Ahso!;1417476 wrote: The both of you are trolls and the more you post the more obvious that becomes.

Name calling. Post something of substance.

Ahso!;1417476 wrote: You do nothing for the integrity of a forum other than diminish it.

another opinion

Ahso!;1417476 wrote: I'm just wondering how long you're going to be tolerated.

You are a funny guy.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Boys Please! Personally I'm glad tude & half have found each other.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

This is all part of the male bonding process.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
halfway

Post by halfway »

AnneBoleyn;1417525 wrote: Boys Please! Personally I'm glad tude & half have found each other.

Well, he (tude dog) keeps posting quotes of an assho which makes it difficult in keeping the ignore feature effective!!!

He (tude dog) does provide some insightful and intelligent input into the conversation...always appreciated amongst attacks and red herrings that seem to be prevalent. Probably gonna need a "disclaimer" for writing this opinion. :0
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

I just happen to like firearms and interest in laws regarding use of. There are plenty of pro gun forums where everybody basically agrees. So for a change I come here.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Ahso!;1417476 wrote: One point is that neither you nor your sidekick are capable of conceding even the most obvious of events. The both of you are trolls and the more you post the more obvious that becomes.

I'm just wondering how long you're going to be tolerated. I beg to differ...

Why Is It that whenever there are two members who happen to agree with each other, they have to be ' sidekicks' ?

You're questioning how much longer they are ' going to be tolerated' ? No-one else seems to have a problem ' tolerating' them...

This forum is for all members Ahso... not just you or exclusively for those who happen to agree with every word you write.

It Is not up to you either to deter members from posting. If there Is a problem their posts would be flagged up In the green room and I've seen no evidence of that.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

halfway;1417473 wrote: Even if it did, is it such an event to warrant any type of reaction? Cars jump out of gear, strollers roll down hills, what is the point??

Guns are evil.

Guns kill people.

I knew a gun that was also anti-Semitic. Talk about a bad gun.

It is the refusal to acknowledge the possibility, the period of quiet and then making exactly the same claim as though it is unquestionable fact. Bad form Sir, bad form.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tude dog;1417482 wrote: If I ever said it is impossible, I apologize.

My persistence on this is the the concept that guns just go off is nonsense.

I can't count the number of stories of "was shot when the gun went off."

Excuses excuses excuses, , ,

I cannot remember even one example of a gun going off due solely to malfunction.

Maybe that's because you dismiss every story of it happening as excuses, excuses, excuses.

Pre-conceived ideas are pernicious and self-reinforcing.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tude dog;1417551 wrote: I just happen to like firearms and interest in laws regarding use of. There are plenty of pro gun forums where everybody basically agrees. So for a change I come here.

Seeing alternative opinions always helps keep ideas grounded in reality - on both sides of the equation.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

HandgunWorld Podcast Ep. 203 – Malfunctioning Guns | HandgunWorld Podcast

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Ahso!;1417851 wrote: HandgunWorld Podcast Ep. 203 – Malfunctioning Guns | HandgunWorld Podcast

Uh, OK

Interesting podcast. I won't apologize for only listening to like 13 minutes of it.

Him hating 1911s, and I am a 1911 fan boy, he didn't win any points there with me. But as ya all know, I am a very tolerant person, even when it comes to plastic Tupperware Glock fanatics.

All that said, he is talking about malfunctions. I believe earlier, somewhere on this site I pointed out that gun problems are that they do not shoot. It is times like this I hate a link like yours, or youtube which require a lot of time and not being able to document it.

Long short of it, near as I can tell you just presented that gun malfunctions mean they might not go off as expected when the bugger finger pulls the bang switch.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Here's a case where your argument that guns don't malfunction caused a person to now have a felony conviction and serve 30 months in federal prison. The malfunctioning of the gun labeled this person a criminal. The argument from the gun enthusiast that we don't need any more laws, that we should be enforcing the laws already on the books has hurt this person and his family for life.

The question is: if this person's parents had had a crystal ball and could have foreseen what would happen to him (not knowing the circumstances), would they have brought him up with guns? I doubt they would have. Owning guns for the vast majority of people serves no practical purpose at all and in too many cases damages families like in this case.

I'm well aware the majority of gun owners are responsible, however, ownership has become problematic in too many ways for too many people. I believe your side likes to call it "unintended consequences".

David Olofson is a U.S. Army veteran who was sentenced to 30 months in federal prison on the charge of "transferring an unregistered machine gun" after he lent his 20-year old semi automatic Olympic Arms AR-15 style rifle to a friend, Robert Kiernicki.

At the time of manufacture, this model of rifle was legally manufactured with a few M16 fire control parts because these parts by themselves will not cause automatic fire. Olofson's rifle malfunctioned at a shooting range called "The Conservation Club" as a result of the hammer not properly resetting and instead following the bolt forward, emitting multiple rounds and immediately jamming three times in a row. "Hammer follow" is a dangerous and unpredictable malfunction that can happen to semi automatic firearms when a part is worn (or excessively lubricated)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Olofson

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Liamnc

Post by Liamnc »

I'm ready :0D
Liamnc

Post by Liamnc »

Ok they can ban the sales of assault weapons now, I'm ready...

Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Guns don't kill people, people kill people with guns. Continuously and massively.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Liamnc;1417998 wrote:

I'm ready :0D

Liamnc;1417999 wrote: Ok they can ban the sales of assault weapons now, I'm ready...

These two posts say everything I've been trying to say far better than I could!
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Ready for what? To cause pain, suffering, and death to the world? What's your paranoid, freaked-out, fear-worshipping, detestable problem?

Live and let live. Ban all guns. This year 30,000 dead American souls will be on your head and the people like you. I'll bet you even think you're some kind of patriot, contemplating the death of your fellow citizens. Right? It's my God-given right to kill everyone? (oh, in the name of "defending myself and my values" of course!) As if God somehow condones the murder of his creations. (See: The Ten Commandments - Section "Thou Shalt Not Kill")

Pfft. A real American would be working to stop the tide of death of his brothers. Gun worshippers make me feel sick...mostly because they are sick.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

How come it took you so long to answer?
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

AnneBoleyn;1441636 wrote: How come it took you so long to answer?

Four jobs (I'm actually working this week for extra money, even though all my colleagues are off.) and severe medical problems with my girl. We took her to the Mayo clinic in October, the premiere medical establishment on the planet.

The bad news: It didn't go well. It was a costly attempt and painful nightmare. For her more, of course, but also for both of us.

The good news: The surgery was actually mostly successful. She should be better than before in 10 to 12 weeks. We may even have saved her remaining leg...at a cost of removing part of her spinal column.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Sir

So sad to hear.

I can't imagine your pain/struggle.

Just praying for the best.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Jonathan, what an Ordeal! I'm so sorry your wife has suffered so, but glad to know there may be some good outcome. I hope you have some pleasure tomorrow on Thanksgiving!
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

tude dog;1441653 wrote: Sir

So sad to hear.

I can't imagine your pain/struggle.

Just praying for the best.

Thank you very much. As to your other missing? post:

1. Nice quoting protocol.

2. Did you rethink your position which was actually well stated, or just decide that kicking me while I'm down is bad form? ( I suspect the latter...)

3. I apologize if I seem terse and a bit abrasive. I've got a lot on my mind, obviously.
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

I guess I should also say, most of us have our hot buttons. Mention banning Pit Bulls to some of the dog lovers around here if you don't believe me.

Mine is, most obviously, guns. If you want to see a man, who is for the most part, moderate, level-headed, logical, and easy going, turn into a rabid, hysterical, red-faced looney...

push the "Guns are good for mankind" button while I'm around.

Yep. That'll do it.::yh_alien2
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Saint_;1441657 wrote: Thank you very much. As to your other missing? post:

1. Nice quoting protocol.

2. Did you rethink your position which was actually well stated, or just decide that kicking me while I'm down is bad form? ( I suspect the latter...)

3. I apologize if I seem terse and a bit abrasive. I've got a lot on my mind, obviously.

Golly, such a gentleman.

Thank your for complementing my 'quoting protocol'. I don't believe you are delusional and thinking all of a sudden I had an epiphany regarding gun control because of something you said.

Yes, when you answered Ann, that just took all the wind out of my sails.

As far as terse and a bit abrasive, that was the intent of the tude in tude dog.

Must admit, the tude part really hasn't worked all that well for me.

Hot buttons? Guns?

We have something in common.

Take Care my Friend
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Guns don't bother me a bit. But, idiots with lots of guns, that scares the crap outa me.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Must admit, the tude part really hasn't worked all that well for me.

Happy Chanukah. :-D

Return to “Gun Control”