Nosebleed, Daffodils Arctic Weather

tabby

Post by tabby »

My day started with a first for me ... my first nosebleed! I would have preferred my first lottery win or something along that line but fate chose a nosebleed for me instead. I've never had a nosebleed. I was still drowsy when I got out of bed and it took a few seconds to register that something wasn't right. When I realized what it was, my brain scrambled to remember what First Aid class had taught me ... nosebleed ... nosebleed ... and in my half somnambulant state all I could think of was "tie a tight tourniquet around your neck to stop the bleeding". You do not want to have a medical emergency around me. Ha ha ... but it stopped on its own after a few moments.

It was a little alarming even though I know nose bleeds aren't too serious in the realm of medical ills. Why did I have one? That brings me to the topic of arctic weather. It's so cold here! It's around 27F here today and windy. It's been a week of cold weather and the week ahead is forecast to be even colder. I think it's the cold air outside and the dry heat inside that made happen. I can think of no other reason. I don't have high blood pressure and don't have any other symptoms. I think they're fairly common anyway and hopefully it was my last one. I did my internet sleuthing & found this ~~~~~ Bloody Nose (Nosebleed) Causes and Treatments

On the bright side, I planted daffodil bulbs in some jars yesterday and put them in the sunny kitchen window. Ice Follies, Professor Einstein, and an unknown mix ... those are the varieties. Bloom on!
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Put a humidifier in your bedroom.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
valerie

Post by valerie »

You're on the right track, Tabby... cold air dry heat etc. will do it!!

You might try using a Neti pot, they are very helpful.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Yup, Cold, low humidity, outside, then heated air even gets lower humidity, and your tender nose can leak.

First winter back in Colorado, after some years back east, and I had a nosebleed several times.

More annoying than worrisome.

A humidifier in your sleeping area can help.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
tabby

Post by tabby »

I had another nosebleed yesterday afternoon ... apparently they come clear out of the blue. I put a little vaseline in my nose to moisturize it (as per advice in the article above) and that helped tremendously with the dryness. We went to get a humidifier yesterday evening and set it up before bedtime and within an hour I could feel a difference in my breathing! This morning, my nose is fine, no unnatural dryness, no itchiness, and best of all, no nosebleed! Fingers crossed that it's not just a fluke and that it won't happen any more.

The humidifier makes a noise similar to an ancient window unit air conditioner combined with the periodic water gurgling of a fish tank! It was oddly soothing to fall asleep to ... go figure!

Valerie, coincidentally, a catalog with a neti pot featured on the front came in the mail yesterday! Good timing!
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

tabby;1417593 wrote: I had another nosebleed yesterday afternoon ... apparently they come clear out of the blue. I put a little vaseline in my nose to moisturize it (as per advice in the article above) and that helped tremendously with the dryness.

Yeah, I had one the other day as well. Dry, cold, and 5,500 ft. altitude all probably pitched in to cause it. surprised me as well. I haven't had one for many years. One thing though, tabby, if you use vaseline, make sure that it's not the kind that has mentholatum in it. My father used to use that for many years because he had the same dryness problem. We found out later that that stuff crystalized my father's lungs and killed him.
tabby

Post by tabby »

Thank you for that information, Saint and I'm sorry about your father. I never knew there was a vaseline with mentholatum but even at that I double checked after I read your post to make sure it wasn't embedded in the ingredients list. It wasn't, thank goodness! I haven't needed to use it today as the humidifier seems to be doing the trick.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Tabby, you need to stop picking your nose.
tabby

Post by tabby »

And thank you for that tip, snoozie! Like alcoholism, the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem and apparently I'm still in the denial stage. It's going to be a difficult process but I remain hopeful! :yh_pray

Return to “Health Wellness”