US 'Obsessed' By Celeb Culture

Where our decade hasn't ended! Celebrate the Music, Culture, and Memories of our current times.
CVX

Post by CVX »

BBC News

Americans are more "obsessed" than ever by celebrity culture, the editor of magazine Vanity Fair has told the BBC.

Graydon Carter said he believes the interest in the US in the lives of celebrities stems from an unwillingness to engage with the realities of the global situation.

Shortly after 9/11, Carter said that he believed America would become more serious and less "frivolous," declaring it "the end of irony."

But he told BBC World Service's The Interview programme that the prediction had patently not come true.

"That lasted for as long as it took the words to come out of my mouth," he said.

"Americans are by and large obsessed with crummy reality TV, and the lives of Britney Spears and Paris Hilton.

"That may be just some diversion from the realities of the world, in the way that screwball comedies were in the 1930s. That's the only explanation."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3708420.stm
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

Elton IS the 'queen' of england...and i don't give a rat's corpse about celebrities at all.
Pearl Harbor

Post by Pearl Harbor »

I am a celebrity in my own mind.

When I can remember. :D :wah: :D
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

AmericanGirl wrote: And Larry King..The Cryptkeeper is Still trying to talk the jurors out of their decision...what a Moron!!! :D
hi sweetie! you're back! YAY ...now where's lovemama and carla and gabs? cassie flying to florida tomorrow, and she's going to freeze her buns off, it's 20 degrees down here tonight! brrrrrrrr
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

AmericanGirl wrote: I know ...my son said it was 40 degrees in tampa this morning..BBBRRRRR

It's 30 up here ...I HATE WINTER!!!! :-6
what's wrong with this picture? IT'S COLDER IN FLORIDA THAN IN BOSTON?? :confused:
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

AmericanGirl wrote: YOU"LL HAVE TO MOVE BACK!!!!! Hahhahaha Beats the fog>>>hehehhe :p
i'll take the fog, i'll have my love to keep me warm :-4 . but in the meantime i am sitting here with two robes on, gloves and heavy socks and my fingers are nearly too stiff to type! plus i put in for new winter uniform coat in july, and they tell me i'll get it in two weeks! we have about 8 weeks of cold weather, you'll see, i'll get my winter coat when it's 97 degrees. :-5
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

AMERICANGIRL,

BRAVO...!! :yh_worshp I couldn't agree more..!!

I especially don't like the disdain they show for their own country and President......During WWII hollywood stars lent their star status to the good of the country in fighting the war...Not anymore!!!!

They have all become tres boring!!!! ;)

LADYCOP, What cold weather in FLORIDA...NAH..!! We had a cold spell, that lasted about 2 weeks, it got in the high 30's at night here... I finally broke down and turned the heat on..!! NOW WE ARE BACK TO SUMMER WEATHER AGAIN..!! :-6 I feel for you kiddo..!! I was freeeeeeezing my behind off..!! We don't own coats out here in SAN DIEGO..just FLIP FLOPS, AND LIGHT SWEAT SHIRTS..!! :cool:
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

weeder

Post by weeder »

Its freezing cold here on the Southeast Coast of Georgia also. I have a whopping sinus infection from the continually changing temperatures. Got one last winter also, when I first arrived here. Obsession with celebrities has always annoyed me. Some of the highest profiled are the least talented. Often they are idolized for their wealth more than their talent. Some of the most talented, have had the lowest profiles ex: Catherine Hepburn.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
Gabs

Post by Gabs »

lady cop wrote: hi sweetie! you're back! YAY ...now where's lovemama and carla and gabs? cassie flying to florida tomorrow, and she's going to freeze her buns off, it's 20 degrees down here tonight! brrrrrrrr

Gabs is in Texas freezing her buns off..and that is a lot of buns let me tell you. :wah:

I wasn't able to get a flu shot this year and I think I am getting sick.... :-5

How's the knee ???
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Return to “Our Current Decade”