So Sad!!

Discussions about your pets!
abbey

So Sad!!

Post by abbey »

Puppies pee! maybe when you move into your house Susie and you have more room and a garden for her to play in she'll settle down.
orangesox1

So Sad!!

Post by orangesox1 »

I'm so sorry, I am very attached and commited to my animals but I had one cat that I just couldn't deal with and had her put to sleep. I hope things work out, if it's still a pup it's probably going to learn if your really hard on it.

I got a Labradour from the dog pound that was a shocker of an animal, it had been taken back three times as the people that to it couldn't deal with it's behaviour. I had to beat it literally into submission, it's my best dog now and I saved it by doing so, that was also under the ranger and vets instruction too.
Gabs

So Sad!!

Post by Gabs »

Crate training would more than likely help her... be sure you get a crate that is close to her size, if it is too large, she will have more room to 'do her business" and if possible take her out several times a day until she is old enough to hold it.

Good Luck... Be sure also to keep her plenty of 'chew toys' to play with and keep her occupied so she will leave your furniture, shoes etc. alone...
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Accountable

So Sad!!

Post by Accountable »

The smartest dogs I ever had were chewers. As long as I kept them occupied with games & such, they didn't chew. But who has time to keep a really curious doggy genius interested?? Good luck with her. Is there a competitive hunter in the area who can give pointers? The vet may know. Although, every hunter I know keeps dogs outside the house. :thinking:
LilacDragon

So Sad!!

Post by LilacDragon »

See about getting her into dog training classes in your area. While I understand that the hound breeds are very hard to train, you will learn a lot about how to deal with your little beastie. :D
Sandi

BabyRider

So Sad!!

Post by BabyRider »

Ok. Susie, I wasn't going to say anything in this thread, because I knew, when you told us you got a redbone, that this was going to happen. Hounds are hunters, it's in their blood. They are made for hunting, and when they aren't permitted to do what they were meant to do, they get destructive. Your dog is bored. Your dog has the energy and heart of a hunter and is trying to relieve itself of all that pent-up energy however it can. This is not going to change, and if by some miracle it does, the result will be a broken spirit. A pure hound like this is happiest doing it's job. To be completely frank, and this is NOT meant to hurt your feelings, Susie, you are taking away this dog's purpose. Think of how LC feels, being told she can't do her job anymore. It crushed her. It's the same with your puppy. If you want my honest, harsh opinion, get this dog to a hunter who will train and appreciate her for what she was bred to do. It will be better for you, and better for her.

I have to say again that I do NOT say any of this to hurt your feelings, but to make everyone in the situation happy. Let this dog be the hunter it's supposed to be.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Accountable

So Sad!!

Post by Accountable »

Or learn to hunt yourself! Nobody says you have to kill anything, but it adds to the budget if you do.
BabyRider

So Sad!!

Post by BabyRider »

Accountable wrote: Or learn to hunt yourself! Nobody says you have to kill anything, but it adds to the budget if you do.
If you take a hunting dog hunting and don't bag anything, it's the same as not allowing it to hunt at all. And redbones, while just hunting will make them happy, are mainly bred for hunting 'coon.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Accountable

So Sad!!

Post by Accountable »

BabyRider wrote: If you take a hunting dog hunting and don't bag anything, it's the same as not allowing it to hunt at all. And redbones, while just hunting will make them happy, are mainly bred for hunting 'coon.
I'm not a dog hunter. I bow to the experts. :-6
BabyRider

So Sad!!

Post by BabyRider »

Accountable wrote: I'm not a dog hunter. I bow to the experts. :-6
Yeah, uhh....Acc? I don't think there's a season for dog hunting. :yh_rotfl

I just want to make sure everyone has all the info. It's damn frustrating to me to continually see people buying themselves dogs that are ALL wrong for their lifestyle. It makes the owners unhappy, it makes the dogs unhappy, and it's a huge part of the reason that over 1,000,000 dogs are put to sleep every year.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

BabyRider

So Sad!!

Post by BabyRider »

So you think you want a Redbone

If you think Redbones are laid back hounds,

and that's why you want one; think again!

They are a high energy dog.

When deciding to add any dog to your family you need to consider many factors. Too many people get a Redbone because they like how they look, and never consider the special needs of the breed.

· Redbones need intellectual stimulation. They are VERY smart, and are bred to be independent thinkers. If you don’t entertain them, they will devise their own, and you probably won’t like it.

· They are high-energy dogs. They need daily exercise. There is a common misconception that hounds are lazy, slow, sleepy dogs. Some may be, these are not.

· They mature late, so puppyhood lasts a long time.

· They can be very loud. If bored they can become problem barkers.

· They can escape from anything. They were bred to go up trees after their prey, so many types of fences won’t slow them down. They have very long "fingers" which they can use to open things you would never guess they could.

· They have a very high pain tolerance, so some are not effected by e-collars.

· Teaching a Redbone obedience can be challenging. You have to explain it or teach it in a way that makes sense to them. Training methods that work on "pointy-eared" dogs may not work on these guys.

· They need to be introduced to small animals, like cats and ferrets under controlled situations, as they have a highly developed hunt drive. They can co-exist with cats and other small animals, but you need to make it clear that they are not prey.

· They need to be crate trained to housebreak, or housebreaking can be a nightmare!

Now for the good stuff’

· They have a very different attitude. They are almost "cat-like", and are happy to just be with you, and don’t need to be in-your-face. They are independent like cats.

· They are great with kids and older people. They just seem to "know" to be careful with these individuals.

· Most are very non-aggressive.

· They are great for people with animal allergies because of their oily sebaceous secretions. That houndy smell keeps down the dander. (Regular baths keep the houndy smell in check.)

· They have no known widespread genetic disorders, so they are very healthy.

· They have very long life spans.

· They have a "roll with it" attitude. They are very confident dogs. They’ll try anything, go anywhere with you

The link I got the info from: http://www.redbones.org/redbones/want.html

~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

robinseggs

So Sad!!

Post by robinseggs »

Tmbsgrl, I also just wanted to add that it sounds as if your pup has way too much freedom. For accidents to happen, they have to have access to these places. Puppies should earn their freedom in the house based on how their potty training goes. For example a new puppy should be confined at all times unless being held or played with/eating.....during these periods these are the teaching moments....as accidents are corrected and praises are given when going potty outside. They learn very quickly mostly. As they get older in the following wks, their time loose in one room can be lengthened but always supervised. And just keep working up (timewise) from here......eventually you will have a really good housetrained dog! Good luck to you! Glad you are working on keeping your girl!!
Nature laughs Last
Accountable

So Sad!!

Post by Accountable »

Why do I get the feeling that if the pup was gnawing on your bloody ankle right now, you'd just say "now ain't that cute!" :wah: :p
OpenMind

So Sad!!

Post by OpenMind »

Tombsgirl, she seems to be behaving like she is insecure. I bet she tries to be the first to greet you when you come in.

I'm not a dog expert by any means, so I'm not going to try lecture ya. But I was brought up with dogs and cats (amongst other creatures).

Just bear in mind that as she gets used to the household, she will improve. The pooing is just another way of getting attention. When she bites, tap her sharply on the nose and if she reacts aggressively, point at her assertively and look her in the eye (keeping finger out of reach of her teeth) with a stern "no" or "don't you dare" or whatever feels appropriate to you. You are the top dog and she will fall in line. She is naturally trying to compensate for her insecurity by trying to be the top dog herself.

Hope this helps.
BabyRider

So Sad!!

Post by BabyRider »

OpenMind wrote: The pooing is just another way of getting attention.
This I can't agree with. The puppy is not pooping to "get attention" she's pooping because she has to go and has not learned that it's not ok to go in the house. People have this ill-conceived notion that their pets go in their clothes or beds or in the house to "get revenge" or some such other nonsense. Dog brains don't work that way.

OpenMind wrote: When she bites, tap her sharply on the nose and if she reacts aggressively, point at her assertively and look her in the eye (keeping finger out of reach of her teeth) with a stern "no" or "don't you dare" or whatever feels appropriate to you.
I can't condone physical reprimands, either. A dog does not understand smacks, and all this will do is make her fearful of coming to you. The eye contact, however, is a very good tip. That is a dominant behavior, and should be used frequently. If you watch a wolf pack, the alpha dogs will look subordinate dogs in the eye and the lower ranked dogs will avoid eye contact at all costs. Good tip, Open.

OpenMind wrote: You are the top dog and she will fall in line. She is naturally trying to compensate for her insecurity by trying to be the top dog herself.
We hope she will fall in line. A spoiled dog, which is where I see this going, will very often assume the role of alpha, and unless corrected, (or better yet, not allowed at all, from the start) will become a huge problem. Demonstrating dominance and reinforcing that fact from the beginning and throughout the dog's life is very important for a secure, well-behaved pet.

An insecure dog can become a problem in many other ways, but is probably not attempting to assert itself as alpha.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

nvalleyvee

So Sad!!

Post by nvalleyvee »

Ok - she/he is a puppy. When you crate train - a good idea - put a radio in the room you have the crate in so she won't be so lonely all night and put a stuffed animal or two in there to cuddle with. If it is cold try a heating pad on low in one part of the crate - make sure there is room to get off the heating pad AMD make sure the setting part is outside the crate or she could accidentally turn it up! Get her cow hip bones from the grocery store - let her smell them and then hid them in your new yard - it is an activity. I have never heard of "coon" bones but maybe regular meat smells would work - find one she likes and make it a treasure hunt in your new yard.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
OpenMind

So Sad!!

Post by OpenMind »

Glad to hear she's been good lately. She must have "heard" our posts and realised we were serious.:wah:
nvalleyvee

So Sad!!

Post by nvalleyvee »

She musta gotten a "calm" from you and the hubby. LOL Dogs can tell when you are upset and when you "decide" things. Your attitude of trying to decide to give her away -- she probably "felt". I know that sounds really strange - I am glad things are better,,, Coon hounds are rare and hard to raise...GOOD JOB!!!
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
OpenMind

So Sad!!

Post by OpenMind »

tmbsgrl wrote: lol.. yeah it was kinda strange. She started to listen and behave when I put the ad for her in the paper. Nobody responded by the way. oh well she is ours for life. She will be in her backyard tomorrow! :D She really has been really good. I am shocked. The training is going well. She is their best "student"

How're you all settling into your new home? Coony (what's her name?) and friends must be having the time of their lives sniffing out all them new pongy bits.:D
OpenMind

So Sad!!

Post by OpenMind »

Sorry TG, I thought you were moving last night. My mistake. Still, hope it goes alright and if we don't chat again before tomorrow, best of luck until you get back on the Internet again.

Daphne, good name.

Return to “The Pets In Our Lives”