Overdiagnosis: Making People Sick in the name of health

Oldschoolguy

Post by Oldschoolguy »

I just read this book by Dr. H. Gilbert Welch. He states that many people are "overdiagnosed: people becoming patients without any symptoms." Perfectly healthy people becoming patients and prescribed potentially dangerous medicines based on questionable guidlines some of which are actually set by drug companies.

A must read for anyone that goes to the doctor. And the doctors should read it also.

Anyone else read this book yet?

I highly reccomend it.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Drug companies are in business to satisfy their shareholders, and unfortunately, that means selling as many drugs as possible. The idea in American culture is that an opposing force will be created by that fact and hold an industry in check. That doesn't work most of the time and therefore government intervention is necessary. The problem there is that the government is stacked with industry insiders and lobbyists in both elected and appointed positions that the biggest kid on the block, meaning the fattest bank account, usually wins. That's a shame really, but it's good for jobs and drama.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Oldschoolguy

Post by Oldschoolguy »

Dr. Welch even writes that some of the studies/testing done are by the drug companies themselves who hire writers to give them (drug companies) the results they need to get a drug on the market.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Ahso!;1414876 wrote: Drug companies are in business to satisfy their shareholders, and unfortunately, that means selling as many drugs as possible. The idea in American culture is that an opposing force will be created by that fact and hold an industry in check. That doesn't work most of the time and therefore government intervention is necessary. The problem there is that the government is stacked with industry insiders and lobbyists in both elected and appointed positions that the biggest kid on the block, meaning the fattest bank account, usually wins. That's a shame really, but it's good for jobs and drama.

Interesting how you jump right to the the drug companies.

Many patients go to the doc, just cause they got indigestion.

My mother was one.

I'd take some aspirin for a headache, and she would say, "you should go see the doctor."

People just want to be sure they are "OK" so the go see the Doc. What the heck, they got insurance.

Te Doc is in the business of fixing symptoms, not actually curing ills.

So, "High BP" hmmm, take this pill.

High Cholesterol? Take that one.

Blood sugar? take that one.

You have to manage you own health, if you want to live.

No, I haven't read the book, yet.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Funny, I thought my response was more about American style capitalism. Drug companies were an example because that's what the thread was in reference to.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Oldschoolguy

Post by Oldschoolguy »

Yeah, it's not JUST the drug companies. The healthecare industry here in the US is so complicated that it would be near impossible to narrow it down to any one particular element that is failing us as consumers.

Dr. Welch's book describes the healthcare industry from every perspective and makes valid arguments for and against what the industry is trying to do.

I got from the book that you really should think for yourself, ask a ton of questions, and do your own research before taking any meds, unless in an emergency situation.

Doctors are under alot of pressure too and many are just trying to do what is right for their patients. But there are also other factors that prevent them from always doing what's best for the people that come to see them.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Perhaps we should come back to this after we read the book.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Here is a peep at the inside:

Overdiagnosed: Making People Sick in the Pursuit of Health: H. Gilbert Welch, Lisa Schwartz, Steve Woloshin: 9780807021996: Amazon.com: Books
- DH Lawrence
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

No, I haven't read the book

I'm happy to hear your educating yourself to be aware of the good- bad & ugly.

Patsy
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

LarsMac;1414886 wrote: Here is a peep at the inside:

Overdiagnosed: Making People Sick in the Pursuit of Health: H. Gilbert Welch, Lisa Schwartz, Steve Woloshin: 9780807021996: Amazon.com: BooksI doubt I'm interested in reading the book, I'll trust OSG's impression (and yours after you read it).

Just about everyone these days understands the economic realities of the medical profession and industries. It's common to hear of doctors recommending mood altering or behavior modification medications being prescribed or at least suggested during visits whether or not it's relevant to that medical visit.

"it takes the edge off!"

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Return to “Health Wellness”