Petition On Guns And Schools

Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Ahso!;1414744 wrote: Why then didn't the Obama White House ever push for it? More unfounded accusations, that's all this is.
Don't be myopic. The accusation was about Federal expansion into local responsibilities. President Obama has been focused on that since Day One.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

tude dog;1414736 wrote: First of all, when it comes to the popular media, the NRA can't get an even break. With that said, I didn't like their proposal because it sounded like something that would come from the Obama White house. Federal expansion into local responsibilities.

As far as police in schools, I don't believe that Aaron Kupchik has a real grip on what he is talking about. Schools and their, for lack of a better word, culture varies from school to school.

One school can be a shining example of academic achievement and a nearby one a detention center for budding criminals. I would put my trust that the local parents know what is best for their schools than a beard scratcher, lobbyists or anything having to do with the federal government.
The author was against the NRA's suggestion, as you are. How do the two of you disagree??

eta: And what makes your grip on what he's talking about better? Are you in the education field?
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Accountable;1414748 wrote: Don't be myopic. The accusation was about Federal expansion into local responsibilities. President Obama has been focused on that since Day One.The federal government already dictates much of what schools can and cannot do in regards to safety AFAIK. But your point is taken.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Ahso!;1414756 wrote: The federal government already dictates much of what schools can and cannot do in regards to safety AFAIK. But your point is taken.
Along those lines (and really a different subject) do you approve or disapprove of the federal gov't using tax dollars to force state & local gov't to pass laws that Washington can't legally do themselves?

We can start a new thread if you'd like.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Accountable;1414759 wrote: Along those lines (and really a different subject) do you approve or disapprove of the federal gov't using tax dollars to force state & local gov't to pass laws that Washington can't legally do themselves?

We can start a new thread if you'd like.You do it. It's a philosophical question for me as opposed to, I assume, a constitutional one for you.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Ahso!;1414744 wrote: Now the NRA are the victims. I knew that was coming sooner or later. The NRA has won just about every fight against the good of the public safety they've been in and the media has been more than fair to the NRA. Why then didn't the Obama White House ever push for it? More unfounded accusations, that's all this is.

NRA victims? How do you figure?

What unfounded accusations?
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Accountable;1414749 wrote: The author was against the NRA's suggestion, as you are. How do the two of you disagree??

eta: And what makes your grip on what he's talking about better? Are you in the education field?

We differ because I don't have a problem with armed security which that guy does. I was very surprised that the NRA would promote an expanded federal role, we already have to much of that.

I am not in the education field. Just because somebody is busy quoting favored studies doesn't impress me. It has to make sense and I suspect this guy is just promoting personal opinion,
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

tude dog;1414736 wrote: As far as police in schools, I don't believe that Aaron Kupchik has a real grip on what he is talking about. Schools and their, for lack of a better word, culture varies from school to school.

tude dog;1414810 wrote: Just because somebody is busy quoting favored studies doesn't impress me. It has to make sense and I suspect this guy is just promoting personal opinion,

Quite a bit of space between these two statements. You don't agree with what he says, say so. Your disagreement has no bearing at all on what kind of "grip" he has on the subject. Not for nuttin' but I'd say an associate professor of sociology and criminal justice and published author on the subject probably has a pretty damn good grip on the subject. And his opinion carries more weight with me than someone who is not in the education field, especially since my own observations as a high school teacher in a school with armed police on site match what I read in the article.
Týr

Post by Týr »

Týr;1414040 wrote: Perhaps it hasn't occurred to anyone that law enforcement by drone missile is being practiced daily in Afghanistan by game-console fliers employed in the US by the US government. All it takes is for a given area of crime to be designated "The War On X" and drone surveillance becomes legal, judicial on-the-spot execution becomes legal.

You know full well that surveillance of all residents within the US would allow the targeting of someone on his way to shoot up a school. The sight of cars exploding on freeways is the only alternative I can see to successful school killings. Sit back, applaud on cue and it's what you'll bequeath to your children.

I see no difference at all between employing those judicial techniques in pursuit of "The War On X" abroad and deploying it domestically. Frankly, it's exactly what Americans deserve for having inflicted it elsewhere without qualms.

For any doubters - The coming drone attack on America | Naomi Wolf | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

eta: I'm startled to note the date on the Guardian article is three days before my post. I've no idea now whether I was influenced by it in writing what I did. Today's when I saw the article but perhaps the headline appeared on my screen at the time, I can't tell.
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Sounds so sci-fi. I guess our gun-totting citizens think they'll sit back and pick these drones off at will. After all, they're keeping the government at bay by owning these guns.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Ahso!;1414939 wrote: Sounds so sci-fi. I guess our gun-totting citizens think they'll sit back and pick these drones off at will. After all, they're keeping the government at bay by owning these guns.
Don't feed the troll, even if he has privileges.
Týr

Post by Týr »

Accountable;1414940 wrote: Don't feed the troll, even if he has privileges.

It's a Guardian article, boy, not just me vaporizing.
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!

Return to “Gun Control”