Maquech Beetles – Mexico’s Controversial Living Breathing Jewellery:

A forum to discuss all to do with clothes, fashion, beauty, and cosmetics.
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Jewellery enthusiasts in Mexico have been flocking at stores to buy these ‘pet-cessories’ since the 1980s. The brooch is actually a part of a centuries-old Mayan tradition of decorating wingless beetles from the Yucatan Peninsula. Gemstones and gold are glued on the beetle’s body which sounds like a cruel process which has been denounced by animal activists in the past. The insects themselves are pretty harmless and docile, quite perfect to play the part of living jewelry. Each one has a decorative safety pin attached to it with a 2-inch-long chain leash. When pinned to clothing, the beetles can wander around, but can never get away.

None of the ladies in my family would wear what they call a "creepy crawly" on their body ... jewellery or not!

(Source: odditycentral.com)
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Oh no... not for me,
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

Diamonds My Dear J.....Jewels and bangles are what I wear....

not creepy crawling bugs. I admit I am in to nature but not for jewelry....it sound inhumane.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

I'm not a bug fan but that makes me sad for the little guys. I hope they're not in pain and they're treated well... maybe this is no worse than dressing up your Yorkshire terrier.
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

A really, really good comparison Snooze ....'cept I guess a Yorkshire Terrier might get rather heavy to carry around on your wrist after a while!!
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters

Return to “Fashion Clothing”