The Hennessy Gold Cup

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
Oscar Namechange

The Hennessy Gold Cup

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Another of my highlights In the racing calender.... Saturday... And... another chance to see the most amazing creme de la creme of steeplechasing aristocracy In the parade ring with a chance to spot future young pretenders to the Gold Cup thrones.

As with the Betfair Chase, we are spoiled for choice for horses and form and again It's a very tough call given the calibre of entrants.

I'm reserving judgement until friday but If there's one horse I will put my money on just out of sheer loyalty It will be the horse who made all the running In this years Grand National and who sadly lost his stamina four out. Given that the Grand National Is over 4 miles and the Hennessy 3 miles 2 and a half furlongs, I think he Is a big contender and would advise an each way bet although at this stage he Is not listed, he Is being considered as a late contender. Shakalakaboomboom

Burton Port and Tidal Bay the horse I would have backed In the Betfair had he run have been awarded joint top weight at 11 stone 12lb this year which for me, rules them out of this race.... the only horse to ever win a Hennessy under top weight was the Tank Denman In 2009.

Nicky Henderson has 4 possible entrants here with the Bookies making Bobsworth the firm favourite. Awarded 11 stone 6 lb after winning last seasons RSA chase. Possible runners for Henderson are Roberto Goldback, who won In style at Ascot, Quantitativeeasing awarded just 11 stone 1 lb which could give him an edge and Shakalakaboomboom at 10 stone 8 lbs.

My favourite trainer Paul Nicholls also has choices for Saturday with 2 Down Royal winners, Kauto Stone ( baby brother of Kauto Star )and Cristil Bonus who would carry 11 stone 8 and 11 stone 3. He also has the choice of Join Together 10 stone 8 and Michel Le Bon at 10 stone 4.

David Pipe has Grand Crus but depending how his surgery went for breathing problems after his very dissapointing run at Cheltenham last week.

If I'm going to be looking at any horse seriously at this stage for a win, then It will be The Package 10 stone 7 lb. He stalked Michel Le Bon to win by almost 4 lengths The Badger Ales Trophy Handicap Chase at Wincanton for David Pipe and Timmy Murphy on November 10. Ideally he's a Grand National horse and contender but he seems to like the soft ground and that could make all the difference for him.

Alan King has confirmed that Hold on Julio 10 stone 8 lb heads for the Hennessy after his seasonal debut at Cheltenham. I find him dissapointing although he did finish a respectable third In a competitive event at Prestbury Park over the weekend.

Last year's winner Caruthers seems to be unfancied this year but I have a saying In racing.... " there's always Caruthers hmmmm... I'd never rule him out entirely although him and kauto Stone have to be the two tiniest racehorses I've ever seen.

More nearer the day.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Oscar Namechange

The Hennessy Gold Cup

There's much rumbling and muttering In neighing circles and I have to agree with them that Diamond Harry, the horse who beat Denman In the 2010 Hennessy seems to be have been over-looked. I love this horse and he's one of my favourites but what worries me Is he has been pulled up In his last 3 starts Including his seasonal debut last week In The Badger Ales Chase. However, hmmmm he prefers a left handed track and out of 6 starts on the left handed Newbury course, he has achieved 5 wins Including the Hennessy Gold Cup It'self 2 years ago.... Then going by statistics, only 3 horses have ever won the Hennessy twice. Then there's the weather and the going to consider... the track from the constant rain will not dry out by Saturday and It's likely more rain during the week will make the going soft to heavy. This does not suit many of the entrants of It's worth noting that Diamond Harry has won 4 starts on such ground. For this, he can not be ruled out and Is currently 25/1 anti post.... he's got to be worth a small each way punt at that price given that Nicky Henderson Is considering withdrawing the favourite Bobsworth due to the heavy going.

Diamond Harry runs off a 143 mark meaning he'll carry more than a stone In weight than he did In this years RSA.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Oscar Namechange

The Hennessy Gold Cup

Having ruled out Tidal Bay due to the weights, I have been looking at him again. Yes, he's carrying top weight but he does seem to like the heavy going that will prove difficult for many of the other entrants. He did win In style at Wetherby earlier this month In tough conditions and he's a seasoned 3 miler. I don't think I can rule him out entirely.

Not that It's got anything to do with It but trainer Paul Nicholls Is on a roll already this season and he's a canny chap. he does not enter horses lightly.

The danger here Is Alan King's Hold On Julio at a whole stone lighter than Tidal Bay carrying just 10 stone 8 lb..... I don't rate him and I think the conditions will be far too testing for him. He's too lightly raced for my liking and his jumping needs some Improvement since I last saw him at Cheltenham In October when he came a lame third.... yet, there appears to be some money going on him this time out. He could be the big surprise of the race...

I placed my bets today....

The Package each way 8/1

Diamond Harry each way got 25/1 yesterday... now backed down to 16/1

Tidal Bay each way 8/1

And simply because I may eat my own words " There's always Caruthers

Caruthers each way 20/1

19 will go to post Saturday
Oscar Namechange

The Hennessy Gold Cup

Interesting that given the choices Nicholls had, he's heading out Tidal Bay as his main contender..... Ruby Walsh In the saddle.... RUBY RUBY RUBY !!!!!

Ladbrokes: 4 Bobs Worth, 6 Hold On Julio, 8 The Package, Tidal Bay, 10 Frisco Depot, 11 Magnanimity,12 First Lieutenant, Saint Are, 14 Alfie Spinner, 16 Duke Of Lucca, Roberto Goldback, Teaforthree, 20 bar

.://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/horse-racin ... sy-1464399
Oscar Namechange

The Hennessy Gold Cup

Wow... fantasic day's racing....

First of all.... The real star of Newbury today. Really, what can anyone say about this horse??

Big Bucks who I've written so much about before made his form look like this today:

By winning his 18th consecutive race on the bounce and from where I was standing, never broke a sweat and positively cantered home. Ridden by Ruby Walsh, was hardly out of a hack canter as he took The Long Distance Hurdle for the fourth successive year. He's now 6/5 for a 5th consecutive World Hurdle In March... see you there big fella.

So... the big one... The Hennessy Gold Cup....

Nicky Henderson decided to run the favourite Bobsworth after a ground Inspection but the conditions were still pretty dire and the race saw several accidents... one of which was my Diamond Harry who after getting hampered by a faller early on went on to fall himself.

I can't take anything away from the winner, Bobsworth who ran a fantastic race In the conditions and he now goes straight In as 5/1 favourite for the gold Cup In March. If my memory serves me correctly, Bobsworth becomes the 4th horse to go on to win the Hennessy Gold Cup straight after an RSA victory.

However, Tidal Bay... Astonishing performance under top weight handicap secured second for me at a 2/1 place pay out..... looks like He'll go straight to the Lexus ChaseIn December now where without the added handicap, he has to be a sound bet...... The Package who saw a late jockey change due to Injury also secured a 2/1 place pay out for me by coming in 4th behind First Lieutenant...

Two place payouts In the first four... that's a respectable naps service.

What next ???

Saturday see's Sandown. Henderson and Nicholls are both more or less level to take this seasons Champion Trainer title this season and Saturday we will see a clash of the titan's when Nicky Henderson's Sprinter Sacre will battle It out with Paul Nicholl's Sanctuaire... can't wait...

This Is not my photograph but The Hennessy today was a little worrying all the way due to a lose horse and this picture really does show how he made things difficult for the winner.

Attached files
Oscar Namechange

The Hennessy Gold Cup

The race In full.

2012 Hennessy Gold Cup Chase - Bobs Worth - YouTube

I've had to watch this several times as on the day, my eyes and I suspect many others were on the loose horse.

Typically, after losing their rider, they like to run with the herd where they feel safe. On odd occasions you'll get one who rather than be content with running with the herd, want's to lead the herd and that's a huge danger In Steeple chasing when with no jockey or whip to correct them, can veer Into other horses.
Oscar Namechange

The Hennessy Gold Cup

Just still sniggering at Voller La Vadette getting beaten Into 3rd In Ireland Sunday....

So... You think you're going to take Big Bucks crown In the World Hurdle In March do you ?
peleus

The Hennessy Gold Cup

Post by peleus »

Are you guys getting any luck on this event? I mean the World Hurdle? How did this go?
Never quit.
Oscar Namechange

The Hennessy Gold Cup

peleus;1437463 wrote: Are you guys getting any luck on this event? I mean the World Hurdle? How did this go?

Hi there.

This thread Is over a year old now...

Big Bucks did not run The World Hurdle this March at Cheltenham due to Injury.

It was won by the Irish raider Solwhit closely followed by Celestrial Halo

Big Bucks Is back In action and we should see him return around January.

Return to “Sports”