Jack Harding

Týr

Jack Harding

Post by Týr »

I'm stuck trying to work out who this Jack Harding was.

Five doors from here is a house, now split into several apartments, with the name "Jack Harding Mansions" carved over the entrance and a mosaic on the wall to one side, which I append.

There's a lot of information in the mosaic but I can't find anything about him.

Who was he, why does he have this mosaic on the wall of a house overlooking the Downs.

I can see a US serviceman, a Japanese battle flag over troops with rifles beneath palm trees which might suggest service in the World War Two Pacific theater, I can see bombers flying in formation over a burning shoreline suggesting an amphibious invasion like that at Guadalcanal or Iwo Jima.

I'm guessing that the uniform is of a GI but someone might improve on that. There's a cap badge. Would a Marine look similar?

Any suggestions?
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
Týr

Jack Harding

Post by Týr »

flopstock

Jack Harding

Post by flopstock »

US ARMY AIR SERVICES PILOT

FIRST CIRCUMNAVIGATION OF THE GLOBE

PILOT JACK HARDING

VINTAGE AUTOGRAPH SIGNED

SNAPSHOT PHOTO TAKEN YEARS AFTER

HIS FLYING AROUND THE WORLD

IN THE 1920s

Jack Harding Early American US Military Aviator Vintage Autograph Signed Photo | eBay
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Týr

Jack Harding

Post by Týr »

I'd been reading about that one but I can't see any link between being part of the first US Army pilot team to fly round the world and the contents of the mosaic.

What do you think his uniform shows, I expect you know more about US uniforms than I do. The pilot chap was long retired from the army by the time World War Two started.
Bryn Mawr

Jack Harding

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Looks like someone else is looking :-

The Untrained Eye on Blipfoto :: Whose Jack Harding? :: 25 May 2012

I've walked past that house time and never noticed the mosaic.
Týr

Jack Harding

Post by Týr »

"Whose Jack Harding" isn't a question I'd have thought of asking.

I may just ring the bell.
Bryn Mawr

Jack Harding

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Týr;1410762 wrote: "Whose Jack Harding" isn't a question I'd have thought of asking.

I may just ring the bell.

It made it certain that the post was not yours :-)
flopstock

Jack Harding

Post by flopstock »

Bryn Mawr;1410764 wrote: It made it certain that the post was not yours :-):yh_rotfl: cracked me up!
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Return to “History”