Historic Photos From the NYC Municipal Archives

tabby

Post by tabby »

Some interesting photos from the last century ~~~~~> Historic Photos From the NYC Municipal Archives - In Focus - The Atlantic

My favorites are the market and street scenes with people milling about their daily business!
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

tabby, thanks for this, wonderful pics. I especially like #27. The view is basically the same today, the train runs the same track as back then.

eta--also liked "Jumbo Malteds 5 cents" & a full breakfast for 10 cents!
tabby

Post by tabby »

I'm glad you enjoyed them, Anne! I was intrigued by Photo #8 and I'm wondering if it's still there but I'm thinking not since it's referred to as the original. If those were colorful mosaic tiles and if that was stained glass, that would be so beautiful but it's hard to tell with the black & white.

I was also curious about Photo #20 which is described as being the Powell house at 195th Street and 58th Avenue North, Queens. I'm not terribly familiar with the outskirts of NYC but I'm guessing that area has changed dramatically and is no longer farmland. When I get a few minutes, I might google that address and see if I can find what's at the location now.

along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Thanks for sharing, tabby. :) I enjoy looking at old photographs. Picture #36 (I think) with the rows of laundry hanging out the windows reminding me of Chicago when I was little.

From Chicago:

Historic Photographs from Chicago: A Biography by Dominic A. Pacyga
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
tabby

Post by tabby »

along-for-the-ride;1408784 wrote: Thanks for sharing, tabby. :) I enjoy looking at old photographs. Picture #36 (I think) with the rows of laundry hanging out the windows reminding me of Chicago when I was little.

From Chicago:

Historic Photographs from Chicago: A Biography by Dominic A. Pacyga

Nice photos! I love the ceiling in the old parlor!

So are you a Bears fan?
tabby

Post by tabby »

I did a Google Map search for the house in Photo #20 and assuming this is correct, time definitely didn't stand still for the area!

Vaishali

Post by Vaishali »

These are amazing photos. I really liked the third, seventh and twenty second the most. Thank you for sharing!!

Return to “History”