Is PMS A Myth?

Issues relating specifically to women's health.
koan

Is PMS A Myth?

Post by koan »

A group of female scientists say "yes."

A group of non scientists say "bullshit."

Are women using PMS as an excuse for poor behaviour or are scientists trying to eliminate an insult by ignoring what a lot of women testify they experience?

“Who are a small group of scientists to tell us how we feel?” asked Elissa Stein, New York-based co-author of the book Flow: The Cultural Story of Menstruation. “I bring my own personal experience to the equation. How can you say there is no such thing?”

Is PMS a myth? One study says yes - The Globe and Mail
gmc

Is PMS A Myth?

Post by gmc »

No it's not a myth. Ask any bloke with a girlfriend.
Ahso!

Is PMS A Myth?

Post by Ahso! »

It would be nice if the study was linked. I checked on Gillian Einstein's research that's listed on her U of T profile and this study isn't listed.

Found it. It's not a study really, it's a review of other studies. I was wondering why people in the piece referred to it as "literature".

Objectives

We wished to examine one pervasive idea, that the MC is a cause of negative mood, by studying the scientific literature as a whole. We briefly reviewed the history of the idea of premenstrual syndrome and undertook a systematic review of quality studies.

Source: Elsevier
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Is PMS A Myth?

Post by Ahso! »

It appears that the author of the Globe And Mail article either does not understand the study or deliberately chose to mislead readers about what was being examined. For example, the abstract reads: Background

The human menstrual cycle (MC) has historically been the focus of myth and misinformation, leading to ideas that constrain women's activities which Alphonso rewrites as: "Is PMS a myth? One study says yes".

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
fuzzywuzzy

Is PMS A Myth?

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I know a woman who said many years ago that her sister inlaw never experienced it until she heard about it ....now she's a total bitch. All I know is that our hormones reach a level of mens .......so let us be men for a few days, sometimes they need to see what they put onto us . LOL LOL .

for myself I have extremely painful menstration (product of 3 c sections I'm afraid ) makes me a bit testy ...but that has nothing to do with hormones, but pain. I was told that I have equivelent to first stage labour pains every month . trust me I'm not pleasent to be around. i"m kinda looking foward to a hysterectomy

I'm gunna have to say yes there is a certain amount of imbalance with hormones depending on the individual ......notice I didn't say WOMEN?...individuals ...we're all different.
along-for-the-ride

Is PMS A Myth?

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) Symptoms: Physical and Emotional

PMS is real. That said, there is never an excuse for bad behavior.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Scrat

Is PMS A Myth?

Post by Scrat »

No PMS is not a myth, I know for some women it can be pretty miserable and others not so bad. It varies. There are women that use it as an excuse for various bad behaviors but that is in most cases understandable. I look on it as my duties concerning cars. I hate working on them but I have no choice so I bust my knuckles at least once a month. If my wife bites takes a swipe at my throat once in awhile that's they way it is.

Man up and get her a cup of tea.
Ahso!

Is PMS A Myth?

Post by Ahso! »

along-for-the-ride;1408537 wrote: Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) Symptoms: Physical and Emotional

PMS is real. That said, there is never an excuse for bad behavior.Of course PMS is real and the only person putting forward the idea that it isn't is the reporter, not the scientists. What the scientists appear to be addressing is the myths surrounding PMS.

One theory is that PMS might aid in the female mate selection process for reproductive purposes. There's sex and then there's procreation. A female may not be as choosy about who they have sex with as who they are going to engage with on a more important long term basis. PMS may be mechanisms the female psyche and body have acquired in order to vet a potential mate for long term purposes. source

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Oscar Namechange

Is PMS A Myth?

Post by Oscar Namechange »

In the UK, PMS has been used as mitigating circumstance In defence In court.

MENSTRUAL STRESSES AS A LEGAL DEFENSE - NYTimes.com
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Snowfire

Is PMS A Myth?

Post by Snowfire »

Its not a myth in my non scientific experience. I bear the mental scars. I've spent the last 30 years or more learning the signs and how to gently address the issues and then it happens . The change. I've almost forgotten what it was like
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
the grumps

Is PMS A Myth?

Post by the grumps »

along-for-the-ride;1408537 wrote: Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) Symptoms: Physical and Emotional

PMS is real. That said, there is never an excuse for bad behavior.

i assume hubby gets snapped at on the bad days

how about you koan are you a PMT monster ?

my wife is
Bruv

Is PMS A Myth?

Post by Bruv »

the grumps;1408691 wrote: i assume hubby gets snapped at on the bad days

how about you koan are you a PMT monster ?

my wife is

Does your wife know you are outside your own threads ?

Your getting adventurous aren't you ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Oscar Namechange

Is PMS A Myth?

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Bruv;1408700 wrote: Does your wife know you are outside your own threads ?

Your getting adventurous aren't you ? Stop It
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bruv

Is PMS A Myth?

Post by Bruv »

oscar;1408701 wrote: Stop It

I don't even know what I am doing here.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth

Return to “Women's Health”