Pro-Choice and Pro-Life are both wrong

WAMOMMA

Post by WAMOMMA »

Sadly, this thread is proof of what the real world is like: WHAT ABOUT ADOPTION?

Im definetly pr choice, because I dont want the government to govern my vagina/uterus. Its mine. But young girls especially, arent given many options. Not everyone is cut out for adoption. Its very difficult. And I dont think a woman should be forced to have a baby. BUT it would be nice to be educated on the adoption option as well. And there is simply not much mention of it in these situations. And that sucks.

ETA: All adoptions are different. But if you care to enlighten yourselves about just one of them. here is my story. The (mis)Adventures of William Alexander: November: Adoption Month!
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

AnneBoleyn;1408077 wrote: What about the health of the baby, freetobeme? We always speak of only the mother's health. What if there might be a possibility of live birth but the life, i.e. might be born without a brain? No lungs? What if serious, painful consequences, & a short life span is the future child's only future? Does a loving mother doom her beloved baby to this? Hooked up to wires, responding only to intense pain? What if this is known at 25 weeks? 26? 27?
Private Practice, a TV drama, addressed this. A character found out she was pregnant with a baby with no brain. She opted to carry the baby to term, knowing it would only live a few hours, and donate the newborn's organs to save other, healthier, babies. I would imagine such a choice would be beyond the strength of most real-life women.

A soldier strong enough to make a sacrifice like that would be worthy of a Medal of Honor, meaning that no one would ever expect or require it, and no one would fault him for refusing. I can't imagine having to face such a decision.
koan

Post by koan »

I had to face that decision, Acc.

I had a medical abortion with my last pregnancy. I believe very strongly in euthanasia. My child would have suffered greatly and died within a few months. That's why I'm not "anti-abortion". I don't call myself "pro choice" because I don't believe true choice currently exists. I had my first abortion for financial reasons. That one was murder.

eta: I also chose to not medically abort until they had to let me give birth to him.
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

I consider myself pro choice..with the choice not automatically and always being abortion. There is always adoption, or keeping the baby. I think an abortion for convenience sake, just simply because "I do not want another, or any baby". If there is incest, rape, health of baby or mom..then yes, go for it. I was told once, by a college professor that I was actually not pro-choice because I, myself, would probably not choose abortion as my first alternative. I would go with keeping the baby or putting it up for adoption. She seemed to think you could only be pro choice if you would abort the baby. But isn't the whole thing focused on CHOICE!! That is why I get so pissed when the conservatives want to cut funding to Planned Parenthood because they provide abortion counseling. For gosh sake..where are all those pro-lifers when a young girl, with no support is in the delivery room alone, or trying to decide on her own what to do. Would any one of them offer her counseling? Or offer to help her find an adoptive parent for the baby?
koan

Post by koan »

Marie5656;1408191 wrote: I consider myself pro choice..with the choice not automatically and always being abortion. There is always adoption, or keeping the baby. I think an abortion for convenience sake, just simply because "I do not want another, or any baby". If there is incest, rape, health of baby or mom..then yes, go for it. I was told once, by a college professor that I was actually not pro-choice because I, myself, would probably not choose abortion as my first alternative. I would go with keeping the baby or putting it up for adoption. She seemed to think you could only be pro choice if you would abort the baby. But isn't the whole thing focused on CHOICE!! That is why I get so pissed when the conservatives want to cut funding to Planned Parenthood because they provide abortion counseling. For gosh sake..where are all those pro-lifers when a young girl, with no support is in the delivery room alone, or trying to decide on her own what to do. Would any one of them offer her counseling? Or offer to help her find an adoptive parent for the baby?

Yes!

That's exactly what I'm talking about... black and white approaches to the issue aren't helping anyone. True choice means being helped to find the choice that's right for them. In Canada, there is a waiting time before the pregnancy is far enough to abort and there is no counselling provided while you wait. Any attempt to help talk through the choice to abort is met with animosity as if the girl is having her choice stripped away instead of that she is having her choices enhanced.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Marie5656;1408191 wrote: That is why I get so pissed when the conservatives want to cut funding to Planned Parenthood because they provide abortion counseling. For gosh sake..where are all those pro-lifers when a young girl, with no support is in the delivery room alone, or trying to decide on her own what to do. Would any one of them offer her counseling? Or offer to help her find an adoptive parent for the baby?I think the federal gov't should cut funding to Planned Parenthood, but it has nothing to do with abortion. I think the federal gov't should cut funding to the Boy Scouts, too. Philanthropy is a personal responsibility, not a government service.

Yeh I know ... different subject for a different thread.

Return to “Abortion”