celiac diet?

flopstock

celiac diet?

Post by flopstock »

I admit it, I have no idea about it.

I see the gluten free diets when I google it, but what is the nature of the problems that require one to adopt this diet? I've seen two articles in the last few minutes and both say it is a bear to convert over to gluten-free. Is reduced gluten helpful or just cutting yourself off for life?

I paid zero attention to carbs until I was about three years into diabetes. Are there other diseases that cause gluten to affect the body differently than it did before one is diagnosed?

Are there any added benefits to eliminating gluten? the carbs reduction made the weight start falling off, even though I was still eating as much mass as before.

Is gluten the only thing you eliminate or is there an entire list?

Just curious.

I have a friend who gets whatever the latest medical alert of the moment is. So when she started having to have everything glutenfree, I just kind of ignored it.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Betty Boop

celiac diet?

Post by Betty Boop »

Back several years ago now, I constantly had indigestion and was permanently constipated. Not the well known symptoms of a celiac, but it is how it can affect some. Classic symptoms are vomiting and diarrhoea. It also causes a bad facial skin reaction in me, it sets off all my eczema too. It tends to be hereditry and looking back us three kids are convinced my Dad had celiacs and never knew it.

What is interesting is that recently my brother realised he wasn't feeling too good and he started keeping note of what he was eating and how he felt. One day he said to me he hadn't been to the loo for two weeks and that he always had awful indigestion. It suddenly dawned on me that those were my symptoms a few years back. He's been tested but they came back negative which is not unusual. He's experimenting with cutting out wheat then re-introducing it and seeing what happens. He is so far convinced wheat is affecting him.

Trouble is if you keep eating the wheat and gluten it's actually damaging your bowel and makes you feel so ill it's not worth it, so the only choice is to give it all up.

Years ago it was harder than it is now. I cook all meals from scratch, never buy processed foods and I never eat fast foods. Most wheat and gluten free products are twice the price of normal food though, that doesn't help!
Bryn Mawr

celiac diet?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

I've never seen it used as a health diet, only when required due to a gluten intolerance - whether that be celiac disease or allergy.
flopstock

celiac diet?

Post by flopstock »

Is it a realatively new find?

I know I never heard of it while I was growing up. the funny thing is my sister has had issues for years with constipation. But she was always a low carb low fat eater, so we always told her she just needed to add some oils and fats to her diet. We just put it down to her being a health nut.

I'll have to have her look this up, although knowing her, she's already explored the possibility..:thinking:
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Betty Boop

celiac diet?

Post by Betty Boop »

flopstock;1407925 wrote: Is it a realatively new find?

I know I never heard of it while I was growing up. the funny thing is my sister has had issues for years with constipation. But she was always a low carb low fat eater, so we always told her she just needed to add some oils and fats to her diet. We just put it down to her being a health nut.

I'll have to have her look this up, although knowing her, she's already explored the possibility..:thinking:

I don't know how long it's been about, certainly over here a lot of people have cut down on their wheat intake as it makes you sluggish and bloat.

One good thing to do is sit and think how often you eat wheat.

I bet you come back to me with the classic, I don't eat a lot of bread or pasta though.

Trouble is everyone is eating wheat at virtually every meal without knowing it, it's used to thicken sauces, it's used as a bulking product, it's in virtually every single ready meal or frozen dinners, it's in most things you would stock up your freezer with, it's even on frozen chips!

It's even in shampoo and shower gels etc

No wonder people are developing resistance to it, we are over exposed to it constantly.
Snooz

celiac diet?

Post by Snooz »

I work with a woman with celiac and she has to be very careful what she eats. She can't even have food that was processed or grown near wheat... but she said the hardest part was quitting beer.

I occasionally have gluten intolerance but it's hit or miss. Lactose hits me every time. I've noticed I get really drowsy if I eat bread products though.
Betty Boop

celiac diet?

Post by Betty Boop »

SnoozeAgain;1407932 wrote: I work with a woman with celiac and she has to be very careful what she eats. She can't even have food that was processed or grown near wheat... but she said the hardest part was quitting beer.

I occasionally have gluten intolerance but it's hit or miss. Lactose hits me every time. I've noticed I get really drowsy if I eat bread products though.

Never liked beer so I'm lucky there. I can react to things that have no wheat in them but are produced in a factory where wheat is handled. Trouble is if you cut it out completely as we have to, you then become 'hyper-sensitive' to it.

Sharing kitchens can be a nightmare, I remember mother going to roast potatoes using the grill pan that had toast crumbs in it, she blew them away and then said there you go that'll be fine. I nearly had a fit, took it from her and scrubbed it well :wah:

In my kitchen I have a separate pan for the children's pasta to be cooked in along with another strainer for it. They also have their own cooking trays for wheaty things and then I have my trays. No chance of cross contamination then.
WAMOMMA

celiac diet?

Post by WAMOMMA »

You will not lose weight just by going gluten free. Have you ever tried a vegan diet? Giving up all that processed stuff that turns to sludge in your stomach will not only make you feel better, you'll lose weight, and if youre still running it makes your body work better. When I eat vegan entrees I can feel my body standing up straighter, even breathing better. I cant go straight vegan forever, as I love eggs and cheese too much. I recommend The Happy Herbivore cookbook. Its sensational! Yummy dishes too.

M
WAMOMMA

celiac diet?

Post by WAMOMMA »

I read a book called Born To Run, and in it there was an entire philosophy on nutrition for runners. The best advice I took from it was a salad for breakfast. Like a HUGE salad for breakfast with spinach, eggs, cheese, and fruits like raspberries. THe cheese and eggs are great sources of protein and the spinach is loaded with iron and water to keep you hydrated all day. And no salad is ever too large for breakfast.

Now if I could just stick to it and stop making french toast, I know Id feel better.
WAMOMMA

celiac diet?

Post by WAMOMMA »

and Betty Boop, tell your friend there are tons of gluten free beers out there now, actually. I have two friends that are ona strict gluten free diet.
Betty Boop

celiac diet?

Post by Betty Boop »

WAMOMMA;1407949 wrote: and Betty Boop, tell your friend there are tons of gluten free beers out there now, actually. I have two friends that are ona strict gluten free diet.

It was Snooze's friend, but I might research it here in the UK and pass it on to my brother. Last time I looked properly there was only one beer in a bottle that was ok.
chonsigirl

celiac diet?

Post by chonsigirl »

No, it is not a new find. The knew about it in the mid to late 60s, but it has much more research on it now. My sister had it every since she was a child, it almost killed her until they discovered it. They have a test to find out if your intestines do not digest gluten properly.

It shows up for other family member in their 50s, I have to eat gluten free now. It is not a carb thing, as far as loosing weight goes. You need to get the carbs from other sources like rice or corn.

Return to “Fitness Nutrition”