Anyone here run?

Betty Boop

Anyone here run?

Post by Betty Boop »

flopstock;1407053 wrote: Well, the demon seed finished the run and came back to push me over the finish line.:-4

She finished 2nd in her age group(the little turd:p)

I finished with 43:18 while she had a 32:07, but then again I had 42 years on her:wah:

I did it. That's what counts!

Well done you two :-6
chonsigirl

Anyone here run?

Post by chonsigirl »

Good job!
LarsMac

Anyone here run?

Post by LarsMac »

Congratulations.

Ya done good.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
flopstock

Anyone here run?

Post by flopstock »

Thanks folks.

Btw, those shoes I went out and bought....I wore my old ones and she wore the new ones because her gym shoes are at school...lol
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Snooz

Anyone here run?

Post by Snooz »

Well there you go, you probably could have cut 15 minutes off your time with the right shoes.:yh_wink
flopstock

Anyone here run?

Post by flopstock »

SnoozeAgain;1407094 wrote: Well there you go, you probably could have cut 15 minutes off your time with the right shoes.:yh_wink
Swear to god snooze, did you ever have dreams where you were running and not moving? That's what the last half mile felt like:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

YZGI

Anyone here run?

Post by YZGI »

flopstock;1407095 wrote: Swear to god snooze, did you ever have dreams where you were running and not moving? That's what the last half mile felt like:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Good for you two.

That's how my first half mile feels. Thats why there is never a whole mile.
flopstock

Anyone here run?

Post by flopstock »

YZGI;1407116 wrote: Good for you two.

That's how my first half mile feels. Thats why there is never a whole mile.

Aw, come on now... You're a non smoker now... Lots of wind and not all of it hot..lol

Snooz

Anyone here run?

Post by Snooz »

Back when I was active duty, they gave you the choice of running 1.5 miles in a certain time frame, or walking 3 miles in 45 minutes. I was a LOT younger and in much better shape and that three miles was still hard work. I know I couldn't do it now.
flopstock

Anyone here run?

Post by flopstock »

SnoozeAgain;1407230 wrote: Back when I was active duty, they gave you the choice of running 1.5 miles in a certain time frame, or walking 3 miles in 45 minutes. I was a LOT younger and in much better shape and that three miles was still hard work. I know I couldn't do it now.

It was really strange.. every time someone older or bigger than me would pass me I'd slow down to the fast walk figuring 'what the hell!'. Half a block later one of the volunteers would be cheering me on and I'd pick up the pace again.

So at least part of it was in my head for sure.:thinking:

Peter Lake

Anyone here run?

Post by Peter Lake »

flopstock;1407095 wrote: Swear to god snooze, did you ever have dreams where you were running and not moving? That's what the last half mile felt like:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

All the time. Congratulations, that's some achievement !
YZGI

Anyone here run?

Post by YZGI »

flopstock;1407209 wrote: Aw, come on now... You're a non smoker now... Lots of wind and not all of it hot..lol

Since being a College athlete I have just hated working out. I can play hard but hate running or working out.
flopstock

Anyone here run?

Post by flopstock »

YZGI;1407283 wrote: Since being a College athlete I have just hated working out. I can play hard but hate running or working out.

You always struck me as the JOCK type...:p

Snooz

Anyone here run?

Post by Snooz »

He always struck me as a technical school graduate.
valerie

Anyone here run?

Post by valerie »

He always struck me as a wise guy.

:yh_glasse
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

flopstock

Anyone here run?

Post by flopstock »

Now all of the old fat folks at work are saying they want to try it and will I do it with them...

I've told little-one we are going again in NOVEMBER... she says she's moving in with her dad!:yh_rotfl

YZGI

Anyone here run?

Post by YZGI »

SnoozeAgain;1407375 wrote: He always struck me as a technical school graduate.

I should probably enroll in one to better my computer skills.
YZGI

Anyone here run?

Post by YZGI »

valerie;1407376 wrote: He always struck me as a wise guy.

:yh_glasse

Maybe a pseudo wise guy..hehe :wah:
WAMOMMA

Anyone here run?

Post by WAMOMMA »

Also, for what its worth, you dont really want to load up on carbs the night before a 5k no matter what your fitness level. All that will do is make you gain weight. First off, that is kind of "old school" to eat a plate of spaghetti or pizza the night before a race and that is typically for marathons or ultra marathons. Additionally, what carb loading does is help your body store energy to fight off fatigue during races. And you must TRAIN your body to that, just as you physically train for a race. It typically takes 3 days pre race, and all you do is INCREASE your carbs little by little. But like I said, that is mainly for endurance (long distance) runners. If you carb load the night before a 5K, 10K or even a half marathon, all it will do is make you fat (and perhaps sluggish).

Here are some links I found that explain it much better than I can. I also asked my cycling instructor, run trainer and my nutritionist.

5 Common Pre-Race Nutrition Mistakes | Active.com

Does Carb-Loading Really Work? | Greatist

60-Second Guide: Carb-Loading - Nutrition - Runner's World

As youll see in all of these articles, carb loading is strictly for endurance runners.
chonsigirl

Anyone here run?

Post by chonsigirl »

Wow, did you carb up Floppy before you ran?

I am doing a 5K-walking now, no running, well, I don't know, not much anyway. What is the difference between running and jumping around in martial arts?

Well anyway, I am walking most of it, as long as it doesn't rain or is too cold. It should be a pretty fall day, and I can tote along and laugh alot at the softball guys running something other than bases, and ladies in pants not fancy dresses totting along....I bet some will look spiffy in fancy athletic clothes, but I save my Nikes for the gym and school. I shall let you know how the walk went. Guess I should run some?
flopstock

Anyone here run?

Post by flopstock »

Nah, I just ate spaghetti for supper;)

I think I could have skipped faster than I was running most of the time. I mostly tried to keep my pace up as fast as I could while still being able to whine at the volunteers as I went past them on the course:wah:

Wamomma, what kind of times do you post? My little sister just came back from ankle surgery last year and was disappointed with a 38min ... I'd kill for 38 minutes!

WAMOMMA

Anyone here run?

Post by WAMOMMA »

Fastest mile was 8:04 at a 7k race.

Fastest 5k time was 33 mins.

Fastest 10k time was 1:29

Half Marathon time was 2:23 (it was a very hilly course, so im proud of that time).

My average pace in training is around 11:39

My best pace in training was 10:35
koan

Anyone here run?

Post by koan »

I used to run. Was quite good at it. I have disc and sacrum problems now so I run like Phoebe from Friends... which makes for good comedic value but not so good on the stopwatch.
chonsigirl

Anyone here run?

Post by chonsigirl »

I walked the 5K just under an an hour. It was a very pretty day to be outside. :)
flopstock

Anyone here run?

Post by flopstock »

WAMOMMA;1408134 wrote: Fastest mile was 8:04 at a 7k race.

Fastest 5k time was 33 mins.

Fastest 10k time was 1:29

Half Marathon time was 2:23 (it was a very hilly course, so im proud of that time).

My average pace in training is around 11:39

My best pace in training was 10:35

Okay, putting this in my phone as goals..

33 for sure aint happening, I'm twice your age:p but it gives me times to work towards!:-6

flopstock

Anyone here run?

Post by flopstock »

chonsigirl;1408551 wrote: I walked the 5K just under an an hour. It was a very pretty day to be outside. :)

Awesome! That's what I've been doing that last week, walking as fast as I can comfortably walk.

Did you walk with a group? If so... picture time!:wah:

It's so strange how just a few months ago, walking to the park and back was a big accomplishment for me. Our endurance builds even without us noticing it.:-6

flopstock

Anyone here run?

Post by flopstock »

Lady at work was complaining to me that she was winded walking two blocks going to lunch with someone yesterday.

She wanted to know how far I walk my dog at lunch. I told her just a mile. She cursed me.

Today I walked with her for 3/4 miles before going home to walk the dog:wah:

She feels better already.:-6

Adwerd

Anyone here run?

Post by Adwerd »

Yeah. I always get up early in the morning and then go for a walk and also run for 60 to 90 minutes. I think its most important to stay healthy that you take some exercise daily. don't run. You can walk or swim or also do cycling. There are too many exercise.
[
halfway

Anyone here run?

Post by halfway »

I have been an avid runner for over 30 years. I have several races under my belt but no longer compete, except the occasional (odd size or venue) race to get me motivated.

I really prefer trail running as it eases some of the boredom and feels better on the ankles and knees.
My Journal of a New Endeavor
flopstock

Anyone here run?

Post by flopstock »

halfway;1424010 wrote: I have been an avid runner for over 30 years. I have several races under my belt but no longer compete, except the occasional (odd size or venue) race to get me motivated.

I really prefer trail running as it eases some of the boredom and feels better on the ankles and knees.

My son and a couple of his air force buddies do some kind of bike land water race that is not an iron man. there are flags they capture and swamps he runs through....

it's tough enough for me getting back into the walking now that spring is here again.

My dog is loving it though.:wah:

halfway

Anyone here run?

Post by halfway »

flopstock;1424065 wrote: My son and a couple of his air force buddies do some kind of bike land water race that is not an iron man. there are flags they capture and swamps he runs through.....:wah:

"Adventure Racing" is a very demanding and extremely fun sport. Especially overnight, expedition style races.

Florida and North Carolina have some really active groups and races.

I have the Patagonian Expedition Race on my radar.......but I'm not getting any younger!
My Journal of a New Endeavor

Return to “Fitness Nutrition”