Diesel engine burning oil after going round a sharp bend

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
fredbooth

Post by fredbooth »

Hi. My wife overfilled her Peugeot Expert 1.9D non turbo engine with oil. Going round a roundabout later, the engine started racing and kicked out loads of white/grey smoke.

She called the breakdown service who brought her home.

The next day, I drained the excess oil and drove it, but it still roars away - after going round a bend.

A mechanic showed me the crankcase breather pipe is breathing out lots of oil-laden fumes which are apparently condensing in the inlet manifold and entering one of the cylinders after the vehicle rolls on a bend.

What I'd like to know is if this will gradually stop or has my wife done something terminal to the engine?
koan

Post by koan »

As far as I know, the biggest problem is blowing a seal. Excess oil should burn off and return to normal if you fixed it quickly. I generally give a problem a week before I ask my car guy. My brand new brakes used to squeal the first one or two stops each day two weeks later, after I did some hard braking to wear them in they squeal a bit when they are hot instead of cold, ultimately, the car brakes really well but it is sometimes noisy. If, after a week, you aren't seeing a change then you need a car guy to check your seals.
fredbooth

Post by fredbooth »

Thanks Koan.

My thoughts (hopes) too.
gmc

Post by gmc »

What did your mechanic say about it? A good mechanic should be able to give you an estimate of the cost to fix it. I am no expert but I think oil in the cylinder will cause excess pressure and with nowhere to go it will knacker something sooner or later. Leaking seals don't self repair. You don't say how old your car is but getting it checked by someone who knows what they are doing might be cheaper than buying a new engine.
koan

Post by koan »

I had a leaking seal on my car when I bought it. I left it for about a year before I finally got it fixed when I had the rear brakes done. I had three other brakes that weren't covered in oil and stopped me just fine. ;) lol The seal stayed just a broken seal. It didn't smoke it just leaked oil over my rear brake.

You have to use a bit of intuition. Sometimes leaving something costs you more in the long run... like a chip in the windshield can be fixed for $60 or you can end up replacing the whole damn thing for $350 if you leave it too long. On the other hand, a little squeal or a little smoke can go away. You have to gauge how long you'll wait to see if it's something bigger.
fredbooth

Post by fredbooth »

The mechanic I normally go to was a bit non-plussed about it. Said he thought it might be down to knackered/aging piston rings, but couldn't explain why it doesn't puther out blue smoke all the time, or why it only does it after going round bends.

The other mechanic I asked gave me the theory about the crankcase breather but also thought the piston rings could be a bit past their best.

However, neither of them could explain why it never used to do it before my wife overfilled it. Unless, of course, if its blown a seal somewhere.
valerie

Post by valerie »

Think of parts in your car when standing still. They

are pretty much 'in line'. When going around a turn,

things open up (ever seen a pic of the human

spine standing versus bent over?) which creates

more space in between for the oil to escape. If

it's only doing it around a turn, then I think it's likely

something that's not going to get better with time

and/or ignoring it. Whatever oil is getting out will

still even if it is no longer overfilled.

Have you checked the oil since you drained the

"excess"? Doing so might determine if you

continue to have leakage and a blown seal.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

fredbooth

Post by fredbooth »

Drained the old oil completely yesterday and gave it about 40 minutes to let it drain as much as possible, then filled it to the lower level on the dipstick.

I took it to work this morning, about 30 miles each way. So far, so good. Mind you, I've been gentle around bends.

And yes, I'll be checking the oil level regularly!

Return to “Autos Vehicles”