Anyone here run?

flopstock

Anyone here run?

Post by flopstock »

I'm building up for a 5k in a couple of weeks and am looking for tips from anyone who actually runs/jogs.

My furthest to date is 2.2 miles in just under 30minutes..

Never said I was fast, just that I'm going to do it.

The ankles are hurting today for the first time.... my gps thingy quit working yesterday so I went out again this morning. I'm thinking I shouldn't have. :-5I just read somewhere that every other day is recommended.

So any advice for someone starting out would be much appreciated.

My sister just texted me a link to an interesting site..

Cool Running | The Couch-to-5K ® Running Plan
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Angelica

Anyone here run?

Post by Angelica »

flopstock;1405267 wrote: I'm building up for a 5k in a couple of weeks and am looking for tips from anyone who actually runs/jogs.

My furthest to date is 2.2 miles in just under 30minutes..

Never said I was fast, just that I'm going to do it.

The ankles are hurting today for the first time.... my gps thingy quit working yesterday so I went out again this morning. I'm thinking I shouldn't have. :-5I just read somewhere that every other day is recommended.

So any advice for someone starting out would be much appreciated.

My sister just texted me a link to an interesting site..

Cool Running | The Couch-to-5K ® Running Plan
I don't run 2 miles in the conventional outdoors way, but I do an In-House walking routine. I average 2 miles a day, which includes Cardio. If you are interested it is called "Leslie Sansone In-House Walking"...I started 2 years ago, and have lost a lot of pounds and have kept it off since then!
Snooz

Anyone here run?

Post by Snooz »

I've fallen on ice so many times since moving here that I doubt my knees and ankles could handle the strain of running. You know who's an avid runner now is Designer Gal, she's on facebook if you want her name to look up.
Snooz

Anyone here run?

Post by Snooz »

I posted a link to this thread on her wall...
flopstock

Anyone here run?

Post by flopstock »

Thanks!

My son is grilling me on facebook at the moment...lol
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

WAMOMMA

Anyone here run?

Post by WAMOMMA »

Hello! Yes I run (Designergal). IM currently training for my second half marathon. My pace is about 12 mins per mile so Im not fast either. My current training plan has me running 3miles, 4 miles, 3 miles and then long runs at the end of the week. I start at 5 miles as long run and every week increase it 1 mile. The farthes Ive run is 13.5 miles and I think that is my ultimate limit. My body was beat down pretty bad after that and it took me some time to recover. Look up "Calloway training plans" on google. He is pretty much the most popular.

Also, if you havent read Born To Run, you HAVE TO. Its super inspirational for runners. You will fall in love with running after reading it.

Oh and I usually walk about 30 feet between each mile. On long races your water stops are about two miles apart. So I get some rest then.
WAMOMMA

Anyone here run?

Post by WAMOMMA »

Make frozen veggies (not to eat) and Advil/Aleve your best friends. Never use heat, like on your ankles. Only ice. I have a knee strap and have to ice them EVERY single time I run! No matter the distance!
Oscar Namechange

Anyone here run?

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I do run but never timed myself... I just run round the field until I'm totally out of breath to keep fit.

Well done Flopstock.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Snowfire

Anyone here run?

Post by Snowfire »

oscar;1405302 wrote: I do run but never timed myself... I just run round the field until I'm totally out of breath to keep fit.

Well done Flopstock.

You couldn't run a bath
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

Anyone here run?

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Snowfire;1405304 wrote: You couldn't run a bath Wanna race?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Snowfire

Anyone here run?

Post by Snowfire »

oscar;1405305 wrote: Wanna race?

Right, up to the fifth lamp post and back. Last one's a sissy.

Actually I'm not really built for running, well not for speed anyway. I'm built for carrying and lifting. Like a cart horse

Winston Churchill
Snooz

Anyone here run?

Post by Snooz »

I'm made for lounging around eating bon bons. :P
Snowfire

Anyone here run?

Post by Snowfire »

SnoozeAgain;1405308 wrote: I'm made for lounging around eating bon bons. :P

Do you have anyone to peel your grapes ?

Winston Churchill
valerie

Anyone here run?

Post by valerie »

I can run amok.

Sometimes.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Snooz

Anyone here run?

Post by Snooz »

Snowfire;1405310 wrote: Do you have anyone to peel your grapes ?

That's a euphemism, isn't it. Naughty boy.
gmc

Anyone here run?

Post by gmc »

Most people walk at around 3mls per hour-5k an hour in other words. Having two dogs I walk at least 5 - 6 miles a day otherwise (two one hour walks as a minimum) I would be a real fat bastard instead of a cuddly one. If you walk 5km you use as much energy as if you ran 5km why not walk a bit and run a bit each day and keep at it building up the running portion as it feels comfortable for you to do, that way you will find you are running for longer and longer each day. Go the distance - you are only talking about an hour each day and make it fun. Just cover 5km each day and it gets easier and easier
chonsigirl

Anyone here run?

Post by chonsigirl »

You go, Floppy!

I am going to walk a 5K in 3 weeks, hooray for you for running!
flopstock

Anyone here run?

Post by flopstock »

chonsigirl;1405336 wrote: You go, Floppy!

I am going to walk a 5K in 3 weeks, hooray for you for running!

Mine will be a combination walk/jog...lol

My goal is just to finish without hurting myself

flopstock

Anyone here run?

Post by flopstock »

gmc;1405317 wrote: Most people walk at around 3mls per hour-5k an hour in other words. Having two dogs I walk at least 5 - 6 miles a day otherwise (two one hour walks as a minimum) I would be a real fat bastard instead of a cuddly one. If you walk 5km you use as much energy as if you ran 5km why not walk a bit and run a bit each day and keep at it building up the running portion as it feels comfortable for you to do, that way you will find you are running for longer and longer each day. Go the distance - you are only talking about an hour each day and make it fun. Just cover 5km each day and it gets easier and easier

That's how it started.. Walking the new puppy in the morning before I left for work. Then I started walking her at night after supper. When little one started back to school I started coming home at lunch and taking her for a short walk. Finally drove paths and it was just about four miles a day. So I've been trying to go a little further each week in the same time.

Once I get to 3 miles in the morning, I'll try it without the dog stops..lol

flopstock

Anyone here run?

Post by flopstock »

WAMOMMA;1405287 wrote: Make frozen veggies (not to eat) and Advil/Aleve your best friends. Never use heat, like on your ankles. Only ice. I have a knee strap and have to ice them EVERY single time I run! No matter the distance!

I got an arm band for my iPhone today. I downloaded an app called mapmyrun but that means I have to carry the phone with me.

I don't know if I'm up to my ankles hurting every run.

Maybe I'll be a power walker in the end, but I want to try it out.

LarsMac

Anyone here run?

Post by LarsMac »

Snowfire;1405306 wrote: Right, up to the fifth lamp post and back. Last one's a sissy.

Actually I'm not really built for running, well not for speed anyway. I'm built for carrying and lifting. Like a cart horse

That's me. I don't run well.

I have that body shape that when people see me running, they look nervously back the way I came and prepare to run, as well.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Anyone here run?

Post by LarsMac »

flopstock;1405344 wrote: Mine will be a combination walk/jog...lol

My goal is just to finish without hurting myself

That is an excellent plan for you first 5K.
- DH Lawrence
Patsy Warnick

Anyone here run?

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Invest in good shoes.

Eat carbs the day before your run/walk.

Drink plenty of water day before & the day of your walk/run.

You'll do fine.

Patsy
flopstock

Anyone here run?

Post by flopstock »

Patsy Warnick;1405446 wrote: Invest in good shoes.

Eat carbs the day before your run/walk.

Drink plenty of water day before & the day of your walk/run.

You'll do fine.

Patsy

Went up to the mall looking for good shoes Saturday... OMFG!! The good shoes were all well over $100.

I'd rather run barefoot.:wah:

I got this bare naked blueberry juice I'm going to dring this weekend before I try a total 3k walk/run. It has 40 g of carb per serving... that ought to get me going.:sneaky:

LarsMac

Anyone here run?

Post by LarsMac »

flopstock;1405509 wrote: Went up to the mall looking for good shoes Saturday... OMFG!! The good shoes were all well over $100.

I'd rather run barefoot.:wah:
Funny you should mention that.

To Run Better, Start by Ditching Your Nikes | Wired Science | Wired.com
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Anyone here run?

Post by LarsMac »

Even more about running barefoot:

Women You Should Know One Girl's Run Across America... Barefoot - Women You Should Know
- DH Lawrence
Patsy Warnick

Anyone here run?

Post by Patsy Warnick »

I know the price of shoes are very very expensive, but you did say you ankles hurt.

We're not 20 yrs. old any more...

I was a runner for yrs. until my back surgery - which had nothing to do with running.

And with everything going south - let's just say - I walk..:wah:

Good luck

Patsy
LarsMac

Anyone here run?

Post by LarsMac »

Patsy Warnick;1405638 wrote: I know the price of shoes are very very expensive, but you did say you ankles hurt.

We're not 20 yrs. old any more...

I was a runner for yrs. until my back surgery - which had nothing to do with running.

And with everything going south - let's just say - I walk..:wah:

Good luck

Patsy

Yeah, don't skimp on the shoes. Find good shoes that are comfortable.

A mile down the road is a bad time to find out you should have bought the other pair.
- DH Lawrence
Snooz

Anyone here run?

Post by Snooz »

Naked juice is wonderful.
WAMOMMA

Anyone here run?

Post by WAMOMMA »

My running shoes were $60 and they are great. Saucony, I think. Also, please dont run barefoot unless you arent running on asphalt/concrete.
Patsy Warnick

Anyone here run?

Post by Patsy Warnick »

I've never heard of "Naked Juice" ?

It's not a energy drink is it?

Where do you find this Juice - regular grocery store?

Patsy
Snooz

Anyone here run?

Post by Snooz »

It's all natural fruit juice smoothies and they sell it in the major grocery stores in my area.

Naked Juice :: Welcome
flopstock

Anyone here run?

Post by flopstock »

Patsy Warnick;1405656 wrote: I've never heard of "Naked Juice" ?

It's not a energy drink is it?

Where do you find this Juice - regular grocery store?

Patsy
At my grocer it is over by the fresh fruits, on a refrigerated shelf.

Snooz

Anyone here run?

Post by Snooz »

It's pricey too, the big bottles are about $10. That seems expensive to me anyway.
chonsigirl

Anyone here run?

Post by chonsigirl »

Look for good shoes at the outlets, a good pair is worth it for running/workouts. I found my feet like Nike, and so I look for them at the outlets. I wear them to school anyway, I go to the gym in the morning before school to bike and walk. (to make my knee limber enough to last the day standing) I usually pay ahout $40-50 a pair or less.
Snowfire

Anyone here run?

Post by Snowfire »

SnoozeAgain;1405653 wrote: Naked juice is wonderful.

You drink juice naked ? Naughty girl.

Winston Churchill
flopstock

Anyone here run?

Post by flopstock »

Here's the shoe I bought

Avia Cantilever Womens Running Sneakers Fitness Walking White Gray Green Sz 7 38 on eBay!

found it up at the mall at a place called marshalls for under 30. Walked in them yesterday but no soreness so I am off to try distance this morning.

Wish me luck. If this goes well, I'm doing the 5k next weekend. If it doesn't, I'll gladly stick to walking!:guitarist

Snooz

Anyone here run?

Post by Snooz »

I had some Avias years ago, they're a great walking shoe.
flopstock

Anyone here run?

Post by flopstock »

SnoozeAgain;1406157 wrote: I had some Avias years ago, they're a great walking shoe.

they are sooo comfortable! Just did 2.51 miles in 32:27....

we'll see how those feet feel in a few hours though..:wah:

Snooz

Anyone here run?

Post by Snooz »

5K is a little over three miles, isn't it? You shouldn't have any problems at all since you're comfortably running over 2.5 miles.
flopstock

Anyone here run?

Post by flopstock »

SnoozeAgain;1406166 wrote: 5K is a little over three miles, isn't it? You shouldn't have any problems at all since you're comfortably running over 2.5 miles.

You'd think so wouldn't you? For some reason my body just turned toward home when I thought I might get to 2.5... feet were fine but the going on 56 year old fat lady body was debating the issue...:wah:

gmc

Anyone here run?

Post by gmc »

flopstock;1405346 wrote: That's how it started.. Walking the new puppy in the morning before I left for work. Then I started walking her at night after supper. When little one started back to school I started coming home at lunch and taking her for a short walk. Finally drove paths and it was just about four miles a day. So I've been trying to go a little further each week in the same time.

Once I get to 3 miles in the morning, I'll try it without the dog stops..lol

Get a bike, you will build up your leg muscles faster and the dog will love it.
flopstock

Anyone here run?

Post by flopstock »

gmc;1406234 wrote: Get a bike, you will build up your leg muscles faster and the dog will love it.How do you keep the dog from yanking you around and upending you?

LarsMac

Anyone here run?

Post by LarsMac »

flopstock;1406275 wrote: How do you keep the dog from yanking you around and upending you?

Leave them at home?
- DH Lawrence
flopstock

Anyone here run?

Post by flopstock »

LarsMac;1406277 wrote: Leave them at home?

LOL that was my first thought too, but considering I got into this to exercise the dog...:yh_rotfl

gmc

Anyone here run?

Post by gmc »

flopstock;1406275 wrote: How do you keep the dog from yanking you around and upending you?

Get yourself a harness one designed for hillwalking would you believe

2012 Webmaster Harness

ScruffMacDuff Online Pet Shop Dog Harnesses Products

ScruffMacDuff Online Pet Shop Ruffwear at Scruff MacDuff and shop for other design-led dog products, dog coats, dog collars, dog boots and more.

and an elasticated lead that fits round your waist so you can keep control of the dog and keep it by your side until it gets the idea, or if you prefer just get a longer lead and hold it till you decide you want to do it more than once. Mountain shops again - a bit of climbing rope 3 metres or so will cost you less than £5 and all you need is an old clip to tie on. Dogs are used to the notion of running with the pack and they love it. Best if you can stick to tracks where you can let the dog run loose. Our Dalmatian is brilliant and runs alongside but beware if it runs in front of you as going over the handlebars is only funny if it's not you. Our previous dog used to run in front but a knobbly mountain bike tyre up it's backside cured it of the habit and most dogs get the idea very quickly. dogs can run at 25mph or so for short periods and most will trot along for miles at 7 or 8 - dalmatians cruise at about 17miles an hour ( I used to have a speedometer on my bike) it just depends on the breed. You don't say what kind yours is but anything under a foot tall is a hamster substitute and not a dog. Mind you terriers like to run as much as the next dog and at least it distracts them from going down rabbit holes.

Don't get those stupid devices for attaching the dog to the bike that you get in the likes of per at home, you can't control the dog properly since you don't actually have hold of the lead and if it stops or goes off after a cat there is no warning and you are off the bike in no time flat.

Try it you will be surprised how much fun it is for both of you.
flopstock

Anyone here run?

Post by flopstock »

This is it folks. Tomorrow morning is the 5k! I'm 14 hrs away from destiny or disaster:wah:

Just ate lots of pasta to load up on the carbs and we are taking the dog for a shorter walk tonight than usual.

New shoes are broken in and little one is committed to going the distance with me.

If you never see me post after this ..... It's been swell:-6

flopstock

Anyone here run?

Post by flopstock »

Well, the demon seed finished the run and came back to push me over the finish line.:-4

She finished 2nd in her age group(the little turd:p)

I finished with 43:18 while she had a 32:07, but then again I had 42 years on her:wah:

I did it. That's what counts!

Attached files

Snooz

Anyone here run?

Post by Snooz »

Yay you! Look how skinny you are too. Wow.
flopstock

Anyone here run?

Post by flopstock »

SnoozeAgain;1407055 wrote: Yay you! Look how skinny you are too. Wow.

It's a bigger clothes distortion.:sneaky:

We went out afterwards to a buffet.... hmmmm:lips::yh_rotfl

Return to “Fitness Nutrition”