How low do you go? How high is too high?

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

I've been exercising daily for the last two months. Haven't lost a pound, of course:p - but my sugar levels have steadied themselves finally.

The down side of this is that I can't quit exercising now that I've found the magic pill, because that magic pill is apparently the exercise.

I sure wish I'd thought this out ahead of time...:wah:
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I remember years ago when I used to run......I'd run and run and run .......It becomes addictive. There's a euphoric element to it I think.
tektrek

Post by tektrek »

fuzzywuzzy;1330642 wrote: I remember years ago when I used to run......I'd run and run and run .......It becomes addictive. There's a euphoric element to it I think.

You probably ran and ran due to the rush of adrenalin which in turn causes you to run even more thus keeping up the adrenal flow.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

I took up a challenge to do a 5 k race after I quit smoking several years ago. trained for three days, got the ankle pains and after I finished the race never went out again....lol
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

floppy If I tried to run now? .......You know those cartoons of silvester and tweety? And silvester goes through something really sharp and he falls into neat little pieces ? that's what I assume will happen to me if I even tried to run again. lol lol lol
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Hang on!!! you did a 5 km race after quiting smoking ...with only three days training????? Good god woman!!! were you trying to kill yourself?
Lon

Post by Lon »

flopstock;1330641 wrote: I've been exercising daily for the last two months. Haven't lost a pound, of course:p - but my sugar levels have steadied themselves finally.

The down side of this is that I can't quit exercising now that I've found the magic pill, because that magic pill is apparently the exercise.

I sure wish I'd thought this out ahead of time...:wah:

If you have been steadily exercising and haven't lost any weight it's because the amount of exercise is just sufficient enough to burn the amount of calories that you consume daily, thus, you stabilize. What's the answer??? Increase the exercise to burn more calories or (and this is better), cut the amount of daily calories that you are taking in.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

That's not good Lon. It may make mathimatical sense but it doesn't make good health sense.

It will come off eventually floppy .....don't go the scales way, do the tape measure thing. You'll see the difference in time but remember the body has not only a nuerological memory but a body memory as well. In time you give it a new memory according to exercise. keep up the good work
Lon

Post by Lon »

[QUOTE=fuzzywuzzy;1330663]That's not good Lon. It may make mathimatical sense but it doesn't make good health sense.

Math has nothing to do with it. I believe that most weight loss experts (medical people) would say the same thing. Do you know what your daily calorie intake should be for the amount of exercise that you perform. There is a lot of material on this.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Lon;1330657 wrote: If you have been steadily exercising and haven't lost any weight it's because the amount of exercise is just sufficient enough to burn the amount of calories that you consume daily, thus, you stabilize. What's the answer??? Increase the exercise to burn more calories or (and this is better), cut the amount of daily calories that you are taking in.

I think I'm headed down the right road here Lon. They've had me adjusting to eating 5 times a day and the problem with that was adjusting portions down. Just about where I want to be food-wise, without feeling like its a diet, ya know?

But I'm doing weight training every other day and cardio the next... I've got calves like Popeye, swear to god!:yh_bigsmi Gonna switch to half day of weights, half cardio in a couple more weeks instead of full workout with weights.

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Lon;1330668 wrote: [QUOTE=fuzzywuzzy;1330663]That's not good Lon. It may make mathimatical sense but it doesn't make good health sense.

Math has nothing to do with it. I believe that most weight loss experts (medical people) would say the same thing. Do you know what your daily calorie intake should be for the amount of exercise that you perform. There is a lot of material on this.

That's actually how they found I had diabetes. I had reduced my calories and was even riding my bike to and from work every day and didn't lose a pound. I actually gained two. He said that if I was really eating a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast and a salad for lunch(after eating fast food for years) and I wasn't dropping major weight - he had to have me tested for diabetes.

He thinks that now we have a balance throughout my day that I should have more success..

I can only hope, because I can't imagine getting bigger could possibly be good for me...lol

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

fuzzywuzzy;1330651 wrote: Hang on!!! you did a 5 km race after quiting smoking ...with only three days training????? Good god woman!!! were you trying to kill yourself?

The race was three weeks after I quit. Started out as a joke, next thing I knew I had folks sponsoring me for the local arthritis jingle-bell 5k race.

Seriously didn't think I'd finish it.... even more seriously -would never do it today:wah:

Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Flop

Lon is correct with calorie burning - with weight training you'll gain more muscle which is good but don't expect the weight to drop - forget the scale.. Go by how you feel.

I think back to your original question - 20 lbs is too much for me & I have 20 lbs to make me uncomfortable.

I just need to lift my rib cage & it would have a place....

Good luck

Keep moving

Patsy
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Just remember that muscle is heavier than fat . It disturbes us all when we get on the scales and weigh ourselves. Do the measure tape thing ...it's a long haul floppy but you'll see it...... honest. diabeties or not. my best friend at school is a diabetic (child type 1 ) she was ballarina...... still dances. I have a doctors link here somewhere I saved and it's an australian doctor who's world renound ...I'l find it for you .
Peg

Post by Peg »

Exercise is wonderful for diabetes. I make my husband check his nightly before his shot especially if he has had an active day.

On a side note, he went to the doctor last week. She is making him go to a class about diabetes. She told him, "In the room next to you is a man with no legs who has had a bypass. You are headed there. You're a train wreck waiting to happen. You need to start taking better care of yourself." I'm glad to hear you are. I wish I could convince him to try harder. :(
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

fuzzywuzzy;1330916 wrote: Just remember that muscle is heavier than fat . It disturbes us all when we get on the scales and weigh ourselves. Do the measure tape thing ...it's a long haul floppy but you'll see it...... honest. diabeties or not. my best friend at school is a diabetic (child type 1 ) she was ballarina...... still dances. I have a doctors link here somewhere I saved and it's an australian doctor who's world renound ...I'l find it for you .

I think type 1s are skinny and type 2s are fat. At least that's how it's looked when I hear which folks are. I honestly think me getting so fat after I quit smoking is what pushed me over the edge into the big D. so I blame myself, as I should. now I have to deal with it.

Sucks, but sure beats dropping dead.:D

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Patsy Warnick;1330881 wrote: Flop

Lon is correct with calorie burning - with weight training you'll gain more muscle which is good but don't expect the weight to drop - forget the scale.. Go by how you feel.

I think back to your original question - 20 lbs is too much for me & I have 20 lbs to make me uncomfortable.

I just need to lift my rib cage & it would have a place....

Good luck

Keep moving

Patsy

totally off topic so was gonna PM this, but figured what the heck....:p

I love how you post. It always reads like you are talking to the person.:-6

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Peg;1330931 wrote: Exercise is wonderful for diabetes. I make my husband check his nightly before his shot especially if he has had an active day.

On a side note, he went to the doctor last week. She is making him go to a class about diabetes. She told him, "In the room next to you is a man with no legs who has had a bypass. You are headed there. You're a train wreck waiting to happen. You need to start taking better care of yourself." I'm glad to hear you are. I wish I could convince him to try harder. :(

I was going to attend a class, but it wasn't covered by insurance. Probably bite the bullet and sign up for one here shortly though, now that her back to school expenses are about done...

On the up side, my work pays half of my gym fee so long as I go at least 8 times a month. Just walking would be good for him, so get him walking 'to help' with you once you are up and about again... get him in the habit.

When is that btw? Or have I missed an announcement?

chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

They give teachers a discount at the gym. I think my body has reshaped alot over the last two years, but am not used to it yet. I think to myself "I wasn't this skinny in high school, when I would have enjoyed it alot more!"

I'm the only one at the aquatic exercise class that if I'm not moving, I now sink. I don't float anymore. :(
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

chonsigirl;1331044 wrote: They give teachers a discount at the gym. I think my body has reshaped alot over the last two years, but am not used to it yet. I think to myself "I wasn't this skinny in high school, when I would have enjoyed it alot more!"

I'm the only one at the aquatic exercise class that if I'm not moving, I now sink. I don't float anymore. :(

You poor skinny girl...lol

Are you still doing the Tae Kwon Do? Years back when I took up karate i almost had the six pack going... now i have the half barrel going and the only reason my boobs don't rest on my knees is that my stomach gets in the way...

But I did the bikes at the gym for lunch... think the levels are a bit low now so have to go have a snack to get them back up a bit...:-6

chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Yes, I got the 6 packs, and shrunk to a size 6 on the bottom. I almost fainted when I tried on my suits for a conference, I went shopping for a new outfit. I still do Tae Kwon Do 3 times a week, the water exercise once a week-oh, I can run with no impact! At the gym I ride the bike, walk the treadmill and do the stairmaster.

Go back to the karate, you will remember the movement and forms. You know that puts you in good shape, and it sounds like you are doing really well right now!
valerie

Post by valerie »

Consider the Tour de France guys... average around 5-8,000 calories

a day, body fat percentages in the single digits, and not a diabetic

in the bunch...

:-6
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

valerie;1331112 wrote: Consider the Tour de France guys... average around 5-8,000 calories

a day, body fat percentages in the single digits, and not a diabetic

in the bunch...

:-6

I think my problems began when I was taking in the athletes calories and then not following up by riding a bike around europe...

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Here I go... another week, another lunchtime at the Y...

chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

You go Floppy! It will be a great week!
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

I think I may be in the groove of things finally. My last A1C (last saturday) was 6.5. Diabetics aim for 7 or under so of course I told them the meter was broken...lol

I'm going to test again next month rather than right away. My logic is to take it as an affirmation that I am doing the right things and keep doing them for another month.

In addition to the y every other day and walking the dog every other day(we've added hills to our path after we hit 2 and a half miles, to change it up some) I've changed my eating habits.

Except for nuts and 100 cal snack packs, it has to be fresh - no pre-packaged anything. And I've discovered asparagus and swiss chard!:-4 eggplant still sucks though...:yh_sick

chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, good for you Floppy. (and eggplant always sucks)
bobmielke

Post by bobmielke »

My doctor instructs me not to let my blood sugar drop too low as the brain depends on sugar to function properly. It's dangerous to drop below 50 as confusion, loss of eyesight and extreme iritability make functioning difficult if not impossible. Imagine driving a car when you drop that low. I had to be rescued by a fellow worker on the job when my blood sugar dropped below 40. I was so disoriented I couldn't move. Thank goodness he witnessed eratic behavior and came to the rescue. I now carry glucose tablets everywhere or food snacks, even to church.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Do you guys grill or BBQ eggplant? That's the only way to have it and it tastes great.
Lon

Post by Lon »

fuzzywuzzy;1361801 wrote: Do you guys grill or BBQ eggplant? That's the only way to have it and it tastes great.

I grill it, bar b q it, bake it, fry it, eat it raw. Love egg plant
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Eggplant is just gross.

chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

I feel the same way about spinach.................
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

chonsigirl;1361867 wrote: I feel the same way about spinach.................

I like spinach raw, in salads or even in place of lettuce on sandwiches, but other than that or in a spinach and artichoke dip - no way!

chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Do you still go to the Y? How is it going, Floppy?

It is summer, so I can go to the gym almost daily. But I still just bike and treadmill, TKD 3x a week. Unique problem-one of the little black belts is going to my school next year-and he is ranked higher than me. I went and asked the counselor to put him in the other science class, unless he's GT and he gets me. (don't want to show any favoritism, he is a cute little kid) But I told her to tell me if he ever is naughty, I would tell the master on him and make him do a couple hundred pushups. She gasped and thought it was funny but excessive for a consequence, but I told he was testing for 2nd degree in December, he'd have to do it then anyway...... :))
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

chonsigirl;1361936 wrote: Do you still go to the Y? How is it going, Floppy?

It is summer, so I can go to the gym almost daily. But I still just bike and treadmill, TKD 3x a week. Unique problem-one of the little black belts is going to my school next year-and he is ranked higher than me. I went and asked the counselor to put him in the other science class, unless he's GT and he gets me. (don't want to show any favoritism, he is a cute little kid) But I told her to tell me if he ever is naughty, I would tell the master on him and make him do a couple hundred pushups. She gasped and thought it was funny but excessive for a consequence, but I told he was testing for 2nd degree in December, he'd have to do it then anyway...... :))

Was, but for the last three weeks it's been tennis, four times a week and then the bike in the living room the other nights. And I still walk the dog every night. But littleone and I went an hour and forty five the other night at the courts.... lots of squats picking up all those balls..lol

chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, that sounds great-nothing like nice summer weather and being outside with the little one.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

chonsigirl;1361936 wrote: Do you still go to the Y? How is it going, Floppy?

What is the advantage of going to the gym if your cycling and walking?

They are the main exercises I do but I would not consider joining a gym to do them - what am I missing?
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

I'm headed to the gym now. Here's why..

the more days I don't go, the easier it becomes to not go(because i'll go tomorrow). Then it becomes hard to make time in my day to go. It is a notched out moment in my day that I can only be exercising.

And I found that even having my exercise bike in the livingroom doesn't help keep me on track as well. It becomes too easy to be distracted and do it later. It had seriously become a coat rack.

AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I have the same coat rack, only mine is used for towels.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

My wife wanted me to buy her a nice new shiny treadmill a while back. I think it has roughly 6/10 of a mile on it so far but it sure looks nice in the basement.
Lon

Post by Lon »

flopstock;1330973 wrote: I think type 1s are skinny and type 2s are fat. At least that's how it's looked when I hear which folks are. I honestly think me getting so fat after I quit smoking is what pushed me over the edge into the big D. so I blame myself, as I should. now I have to deal with it.

Sucks, but sure beats dropping dead.:D

I am Type 2 and control it with exercise and diet, also, I am not fat.
Lon

Post by Lon »

flopstock;1361824 wrote: Eggplant is just gross.

Depends on how it's cooked and prepared. I could cook it up and you would never know you were eating eggplant.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Wanna loose some weight?? Don't eliminate, just try cutting your carb intake by half each day and you will be amazed at the results in just 30 days. Read the Labels on the food packaging for the percentage of carbs in the item. Keep the breads, pastas etc. under 10 % daily. Reducing sugar wouldn't hurt either.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Lon;1398057 wrote: Wanna loose some weight?? Don't eliminate, just try cutting your carb intake by half each day and you will be amazed at the results in just 30 days. Read the Labels on the food packaging for the percentage of carbs in the item. Keep the breads, pastas etc. under 10 % daily. Reducing sugar wouldn't hurt either.

Why cut carbs? What do you replace them with? Fat?

Carbs are your main energy supply - I agree that sugars and other refined carbs are empty calories but complex carbohydrates as found in potatoes, rice etc are essential part of a balanced diet.

You cannot, surely, be suggesting a diet approaching 90% protein? That might work as a short term fad but it is unsustainable beyond a few days as the body cannot cope with it.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Bryn Mawr;1398121 wrote: Why cut carbs? What do you replace them with? Fat?

Carbs are your main energy supply - I agree that sugars and other refined carbs are empty calories but complex carbohydrates as found in potatoes, rice etc are essential part of a balanced diet.

You cannot, surely, be suggesting a diet approaching 90% protein? That might work as a short term fad but it is unsustainable beyond a few days as the body cannot cope with it.

No-----I'm not suggesting 90% Protein Diet-----most people consume more high carb foods daily than is really required ---just reduce them or replace with better carbs ------ yams/egg plant/squash for example to replace white potato & rice.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Lon;1398124 wrote: No-----I'm not suggesting 90% Protein Diet-----most people consume more high carb foods daily than is really required ---just reduce them or replace with better carbs ------ yams/egg plant/squash for example to replace white potato & rice.

It was the suggestion that you take your carbs to less than 10% that worried me, that leaves 90%+ between protein and fat and I didn't get the impression that you were suggesting a high fat diet.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Bryn Mawr;1398126 wrote: It was the suggestion that you take your carbs to less than 10% that worried me, that leaves 90%+ between protein and fat and I didn't get the impression that you were suggesting a high fat diet.

I didn't communicate very well----food labeling here in the U.S. will show what percentage of daily requirement there is in a normal portion of the product. Zero Coca Cola for example has no carbs and the label would show no carbs. A particular loaf of bread might show 10% of the required daily carbs in say two slices. Four slices would be 20% of your daily requirement.

Four slices of bread during the day, some fish & chips for lunch, roast beef/potatoes for dinner---a bit of ice cream and you can very easily exceed what you really need in carbs for the day and therefore weight gain, particularly if the life style is sedentary
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Lon;1398145 wrote: I didn't communicate very well----food labeling here in the U.S. will show what percentage of daily requirement there is in a normal portion of the product. Zero Coca Cola for example has no carbs and the label would show no carbs. A particular loaf of bread might show 10% of the required daily carbs in say two slices. Four slices would be 20% of your daily requirement.

Four slices of bread during the day, some fish & chips for lunch, roast beef/potatoes for dinner---a bit of ice cream and you can very easily exceed what you really need in carbs for the day and therefore weight gain, particularly if the life style is sedentary

The important factor is that the food you describe would exceed 100% of your daily calorie requirement - the fact that it is more than 100% of your daily carb requirement is a side issue.

The body is an engine, supply it with more energy than it uses then the additional energy must be stored. The first form of storage is as glycogen but longer term it is as fat, a bedbound patient will only use about 1250 but a docker could well use 6500.

The trick is to match the input to the output - not only in terms of calories but also in terms of the components of the food, proteins, carbohydrates and fats. The body needs a fair percentage of carbohydrates in the diet just as it needs a level of high grade proteins dependent on rate of muscle growth. The percentage of fat needed has varied massively depending on environment - from over 60% to less than 10%. Fats are a high energy food giving more than twice the energy, gram for gram, than either carbohydrates or proteins - where food is plentiful we do not need them.

Tailoring a diet to cut out just carbs is a fad - tailor your diet to your workload and you will loose weight. Balance the three major foodgroups to your lifestyle and you will remain healthy.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Bryn Mawr;1398148 wrote: The important factor is that the food you describe would exceed 100% of your daily calorie requirement - the fact that it is more than 100% of your daily carb requirement is a side issue.

The body is an engine, supply it with more energy than it uses then the additional energy must be stored. The first form of storage is as glycogen but longer term it is as fat, a bedbound patient will only use about 1250 but a docker could well use 6500.

The trick is to match the input to the output - not only in terms of calories but also in terms of the components of the food, proteins, carbohydrates and fats. The body needs a fair percentage of carbohydrates in the diet just as it needs a level of high grade proteins dependent on rate of muscle growth. The percentage of fat needed has varied massively depending on environment - from over 60% to less than 10%. Fats are a high energy food giving more than twice the energy, gram for gram, than either carbohydrates or proteins - where food is plentiful we do not need them.

Tailoring a diet to cut out just carbs is a fad - tailor your diet to your workload and you will loose weight. Balance the three major foodgroups to your lifestyle and you will remain healthy.

I think we are in agreement. Consume less calories than you burn and weight loss occurs. My point however, is that too much of the caloric intake is coming from carbs.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Lon;1398150 wrote: I think we are in agreement. Consume less calories than you burn and weight loss occurs. My point however, is that too much of the caloric intake is coming from carbs.

That is where we disagree. Atkins was a disaster, the general diet is way too high in fat - carbs are the least of our worries.

Return to “Diabetes”