American Soccer/European Football

Discuss all types of sports.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Chelsea released Didier Drogba. Anyone know the word on the streets? Is he retiring?

Good lord, is he off to Man City?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1395327 wrote: Chelsea released Didier Drogba. Anyone know the word on the streets? Is he retiring?

Good lord, is he off to Man City?

His take on it is that he's now won everything going with Chelsea so he wants a new challenge - make of that what you may.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Clint Dempsey has been awarded player of the season for Fulham and it comes as no surprise. What has surprised me is how much he's improved year after year. I always knew that I would be upset if he ever left the club but I think the time has come where he deserves to have the chance to play in the top competitions in the world and while I believe Fulham is most certainly a top team in the premier league they are just not quite Champions league material atm. The potential the team has shown over the years would leave anyone to conclude that they too will play in the Champions League but what is a certainty is that they're going to have to sign more players like Clint Dempsey.

Player Of The Season
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

K.Snyder;1395777 wrote: The potential the team has shown over the years would leave anyone to conclude that they too will play in the Champions League... I suppose it would be just as easy for them to wither away but I have a great feeling about Fulham...

COYW
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

After watching the Russia vs Poland game, which was a very entertaining one at that, I have to say that Poland is a far better team than their fifa ranking suggests. They controlled the game very well with exception to the last half of the first 45.

They most certainly are better than I had expected and they're also better than 62nd in the world.

Portugal and the Danes should be an interesting game.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1396202 wrote: After watching the Russia vs Poland game, which was a very entertaining one at that, I have to say that Poland is a far better team than their fifa ranking suggests. They controlled the game very well with exception to the last half of the first 45.

They most certainly are better than I had expected and they're also better than 62nd in the world.

Portugal and the Danes should be an interesting game.

Indeed it was - and Germany Holland looks as though it could be just as good.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bryn Mawr;1396235 wrote: Indeed it was - and Germany Holland looks as though it could be just as good.I didn't catch the Germany vs Holland game. I'll wait before I comment on the highlights in case one would like to see it taped.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

K.Snyder;1396283 wrote: I didn't catch the Germany vs Holland game. I'll wait before I comment on the highlights in case one would like to see it taped."one" I suppose being you Bryn :yh_eyebro
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1396284 wrote: "one" I suppose being you Bryn :yh_eyebro

I watched it live :-)
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bryn Mawr;1396286 wrote: I watched it live :-)Germany set to play Denmark as we speak

Oh, and my wife is in Germany at the moment. I bet she will be hearing the locals partying.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1396722 wrote: Germany set to play Denmark as we speak

Oh, and my wife is in Germany at the moment. I bet she will be hearing the locals partying.

The big party will be tomorrow evening - and it better had be a celebration
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bryn Mawr;1396834 wrote: The big party will be tomorrow evening - and it better had be a celebrationThey actually are my pick to win it. Spain looked tired against Croatia.

Sadly I'm going to miss England play against Ukraine
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Sweden beat France and I cannot say I'm surprised by that.

Another controversial call came up in the England vs Ukraine game...
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1397021 wrote: Sweden beat France and I cannot say I'm surprised by that.

Another controversial call came up in the England vs Ukraine game...

The ref disallowed it for off-side before it went over the line :p
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bryn Mawr;1397073 wrote: The ref disallowed it for off-side before it went over the line :pEngland 1-0 Ukraine Highlights | Euro 2012 Highlights It looks to me like the ref blew for off-side after the ball crossed the line,..and subsequently allowed an incredibly quick free kick.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1397182 wrote: England 1-0 Ukraine Highlights | Euro 2012 Highlights It looks to me like the ref blew for off-side after the ball crossed the line,..and subsequently allowed an incredibly quick free kick.

OK, so we were lucky this time - how many times have we been on the receiving end?
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bryn Mawr;1397433 wrote: OK, so we were lucky this time - how many times have we been on the receiving end?I'm not sure about that. I haven't had the privilege of growing up while seeing England play.

I suppose the question has arisen, once again, whether or not video replay should be allowed.

I think you bring up an interesting point that with the judgment call of the refs comes a sort of equilibrium in that everyone is prone to a bad call. That being said the traditionalist would say that it's apart of the game while one who's more of a progressive person suggests the video replay is logically the next step.

I do think that soccer/football is not formatted very well for video replay so I think it may never be implemented. The only way I see video replay to be incorporated into the game is if the time structure is altered, making it into quartered segments, which I know will NEVER happen.

What I am certain about is that video replay will tend to create an even bigger gap between the superior and sub-par teams.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Ok, Germany is set to play Greece this afternoon/evening(:thinking: ok, 4 and 3/4 hours)...

I cannot remember if I'd mentioned it but I have reasoned that Germany is going to win it all. I also stand to reason that Germany will defeat Greece handily but I suppose anything can happen. From the world ranking one would think Greece has just as much of a legitimate chance of winning as anyone. I'm just trying to think back when the last time Greece has ever made an impact on such a grand scale.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

K.Snyder;1397496 wrote: I'm just trying to think back when the last time Greece has ever made an impact on such a grand scale.
How clueless am I? I even remember that Greece won it in 2004. Wow. Ok,besides their win in 2004
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1397492 wrote: I'm not sure about that. I haven't had the privilege of growing up while seeing England play.

I suppose the question has arisen, once again, whether or not video replay should be allowed.

I think you bring up an interesting point that with the judgment call of the refs comes a sort of equilibrium in that everyone is prone to a bad call. That being said the traditionalist would say that it's apart of the game while one who's more of a progressive person suggests the video replay is logically the next step.

I do think that soccer/football is not formatted very well for video replay so I think it may never be implemented. The only way I see video replay to be incorporated into the game is if the time structure is altered, making it into quartered segments, which I know will NEVER happen.

What I am certain about is that video replay will tend to create an even bigger gap between the superior and sub-par teams.

It certainly has, after several years of resisting the use of video replay Sep Blatter called for its introduction within a couple of hours of England benefitting from its absence.

The irony was not lost on the British tabloid press :-)
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Soon Christmas will be upon us. After that, the ground will begin to thaw and before we know it the towns throughout Brazil will be bustling with action.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1435686 wrote: Soon Christmas will be upon us. After that, the ground will begin to thaw and before we know it the towns throughout Brazil will be bustling with action.

We hope that towns throughout Brazil are bustling with activity now in preparation :-)

How do you see Fulham doing this year? They've spent big but ...

Return to “Wide World of Sports”