Help with fleas

Come here to get informal advice on your pet's health, behavior issues, diet, and more.
K.Snyder

Help with fleas

Post by K.Snyder »

Has anyone had very good success with ridding your home of fleas? They've entered either by the dog or the two cats and while I haven't seen an overwhelming number of them I do know they are in the house and aren't exactly limited to one area.

A vet's office recommended some sort of "bomb" but wanted to know if this actually works. I've also read that nothing kills the eggs and larvae.

I need a miracle here. I don't want my baby getting bitten.

I've already cleaned her room and sprayed Lysol all over the place...

Oh, and I've already given my dog Frontline and the cats are staying outside and they'll soon get it too(As they stay outside for a couple of days)
Oscar Namechange

Help with fleas

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Yes... I have a fool proof method but promise you won't laugh ?????

Buy some garlic capsules and feed them to your dog/cat with every meal.

But.... You need a spray to rid the home of any eggs laid Kevvy
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
K.Snyder

Help with fleas

Post by K.Snyder »

oscar;1396717 wrote: But.... You need a spray to rid the home of any eggs laid KevvyI suppose our brand names are different but do you know what the chemicals are that is used in the spray?
Oscar Namechange

Help with fleas

K.Snyder;1396721 wrote: I suppose our brand names are different but do you know what the chemicals are that is used in the spray? This Is the one I use for the home Kev but you can't get It In the USA..... If you can't find similar In the US, I'm happy to buy some and post It out for you.

This stuff Is deadly.... I've used It for years and never had a problem.... nothing will survive this.

Acclaim Household Flea Spray --- Petremedies

I'll try and find the active Ingrediant.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
valerie

Help with fleas

Post by valerie »

It's a pain but daily vacuuming and wash all pet bedding in HOT

soapy water. Give the Frontline a little time to work.

Unlike Oscar, I never had any luck with the garlic, but it can't

hurt and might help.

I'd be very wary of the insecticide bombs. If you can find something

that has pyrethrins in it, that might be a good bet. Made from

chrysanthemums.

Pyrethrin insecticide information | Pyrethrum | Pyrethrins

Knocking wood really fast... I have a dog and 3 cats, and extremely

rarely any problem with fleas (only after dog spends all day at

busy vet clinic!) and I think you can get rid of them safely.
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Snooz

Help with fleas

Post by Snooz »

We used to have to get the house tented and fumigated when I was a kid in San Diego. Terrible flea problems and that was about the only thing that worked.
Oscar Namechange

Help with fleas

Good advice from Valerie.... can I just ask Kev? Do you regually bathe your cats and dogs ? It helps but I appreciate that some cats just won't have It.
tazzy

Help with fleas

Post by tazzy »

if you use bombs, remember you must wipe down everything in your house. plus it does not always work. you can use carpet fresh it seems to help. i do not have fleas, but i also have to give my dog a bath every month. the cats do not go out and the rabbit goes out once and awhile. there is stuff at the vets you mix with a gallon of water it smells bad, but it worked for my mom.
K.Snyder

Help with fleas

Post by K.Snyder »

I'd recently purchased a flea & tick spray that did have a certain portion of pyrethrins in it. I'd also used a powder of the same brand(Adam's). It seems to have worked fairly well. They're not jumping on my ankles left and right. The good thing, I think, is that we only have carpet in the back two rooms so they're a bit limited in that regard. I still have some washing to do...

The worst of it all is thinking about it. I haven't stopped scratching and at the end of the day I think I'd never really had an itch. I've never experienced fleas and man do I hate them.
K.Snyder

Help with fleas

Post by K.Snyder »

So the fleas have seem to died down and I haven't had one jump on me today. I will say that I am trying to stay out of those rooms as much as I can so that one doesn't. I should probably investigate further I suppose.

Does this mean that the problem is taken care of then? Should I expect that they are gone? Do I have reason to believe the eggs will hatch more? I'd read that nothing really kills the cocoons but is my problem solved if I have yet to see more? Please say "yes"!
Wandrin

Help with fleas

Post by Wandrin »

If you want to see if the fleas are gone, take a bowl of water with some Dawn dish soap mixed with it, and put it in a room under a bright lamp overnight. You should see floating fleas in the morning, if you still have them.
K.Snyder

Help with fleas

Post by K.Snyder »

Wandrin;1397184 wrote: If you want to see if the fleas are gone, take a bowl of water with some Dawn dish soap mixed with it, and put it in a room under a bright lamp overnight. You should see floating fleas in the morning, if you still have them.Perhaps an unquestionable "no" but can I use Palmolive?

I made the mistake of purchasing it thinking that it couldn't be much different and boy was I wrong! Loads wrongs!
Wandrin

Help with fleas

Post by Wandrin »

K.Snyder;1397185 wrote: Perhaps an unquestionable "no" but can I use Palmolive?

I made the mistake of purchasing it thinking that it couldn't be much different and boy was I wrong! Loads wrongs!

Any dishwashing liquid would do. Dawn is pretty good at breaking through oil.
Peg

Help with fleas

Post by Peg »

Don't forget to treat your lawn.
Oscar Namechange

Help with fleas

Peg;1397771 wrote: Don't forget to treat your lawn.

:yh_ooooo:yh_ooooo:yh_nailbi:yh_nailbi:yh_doh:yh_doh

Return to “Pet Advice Support”