The Scale of the Universe

tabby

Post by tabby »

http://htwins.net/scale2/scale2.swf?bordercolor=white

Scrolling to the right or left will show you the scale of physical objects in the larger scheme. As I moved the scroll bar further and further to the right, I started to feel increasingly insignificant! :-6
rajakrsna

Post by rajakrsna »

The CIRCLE is the UNIVERSE. Engulfing it is the SPIRITUAL world.
Om namo bagavate vasudevaya, " God is the Cause of All causes."
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

tabby;1392450 wrote: http://htwins.net/scale2/scale2.swf?bordercolor=white

Scrolling to the right or left will show you the scale of physical objects in the larger scheme. As I moved the scroll bar further and further to the right, I started to feel increasingly insignificant! :-6It's very cool, I love it!
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Amazing!

I recently watched a video about the Universe on NASA's website. Blew my mind.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

That is freakin AWESOME! loved it. This was my previous best video...now replaced with this one.

K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Now I can tell everyone that I seen the Planck length! The Planck length is about 10^−20 of the diameter of a proton, and thus is an extremely small length. Measurements of electron radius showed that it is smaller than 10^−20 m, which is a value still 10^15 larger than Planck length.Planck length - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Far out, man.

Kinda puts us in perspective, I think.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bez

Post by Bez »

Wow !!!
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Does anyone honestly need a "God" when they have the universe to explore? (Perhaps this question will be misunderstood but whatever! :yh_bigsmi)

It seems to me that "God" would appreciate more our love for the universe above and beyond anything else. Why? Because the universe is God! :yh_bigsmi :yh_rotfl

:thinking:...

Oh crap, here come the elephants!
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Here's the NASA video. It's quite something.

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap100120.html
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
tabby

Post by tabby »

I watched these videos this morning while I had my coffee. Very impressive! And a little mind boggling!
spot

Post by spot »

I just googled "bit length of the universe" and go no hits so here's a calculation based on tabby's graphic in the opening post.

A field 2^58 can pinpoint a universal location on any one axis down to the Planck distance, and if nothing smaller has physical significance then that's enough. We need slack added to cater for future needs so we can call it 2^64.

We need three axes and a Time axis. Intuitively we can assign the same range to time as to distance, so that takes us to a bit length 256.

Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle tells us that any vector information has to be held within the same data - if you know more about its speed and direction you know less about its position.

As for the natures of the particles, we need some flags. You'd think perhaps 4 for grouping, 4 for classing, 4 for typing, 4 for major family... maybe we'd get to 44 flags for neatness to give a bit length of the universe of 300, if what we're looking at is a frozen complete model with each moment in time described.

If what we have is a simple table to process from start to finish then the time field isn't part of the record and the bit length drops to 236. I dislike that notion, I think we should be able to browse the universe from any axis, not just forward-time.

So if anyone wants to build a present-universe exploration vehicle to enter Wolfram's NKS, that's the field size to work with.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.

Return to “Space and Astronomy”