Throwaway songs

Discuss, review, inquire about song lyrics
spot

Throwaway songs

Post by spot »

Bill Oddie used to write a song a week for I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again, some of them were gems. Only a couple out of over a hundred get mentioned any more. The same thing's happening to Mitch Benn's contributions to the Now Show. This was one of a couple he sang today - punchy, relevant and worth noting.There's a land far away, where men are truly free

With no government on their backs, they walk in liberty

And they stand upon their own two feet, and live just how they please

Til they get killed in some tribal conflict, or die of a curable disease

It's Somalia, Somalia, land of libertarian dreams

Somalia, Somalia, just ignore the screams

Of the victims of warlords and pirates and gangs

And gunfire and shelling, explosions and bangs

It's the way of the future, you know

And it's where everyone who thinks all governments are bad and unnecessary ought to go

Mitch Benn, 2nd July 2010, The Now Show, Radio 4.

Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Nomad

Throwaway songs

Post by Nomad »

YouTube - The Archies - Sugar Sugar (Cartoon MV)
I AM AWESOME MAN
spot

Throwaway songs

Post by spot »

I have just for the first time in my life listened to and not only is the keyboard player instantly recognizable, so also is the vocalist when he finally comes in two thirds of the way through...
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
spot

Throwaway songs

Post by spot »

spot;1391967 wrote: so also is the vocalist

Before, I might add, his first bar is over.
Bryn Mawr

Throwaway songs

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1391967 wrote: I have just for the first time in my life listened to and not only is the keyboard player instantly recognizable, so also is the vocalist when he finally comes in two thirds of the way through...

Wasn't he just. The keyboard was parodying his own playing but young William was playing it straight down the line.

Thinking of others who have performed the same role, Jake Thackray and Doc Cox spring to mind.
Ahso!

Throwaway songs

Post by Ahso! »

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Return to “Song Lyrics”