Anyone here use Roundup?

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
flopstock

Anyone here use Roundup?

Post by flopstock »

I got this sprayer with three bottles of the concentrate and it didn't tell me how big the sprayer was, so I went with one little bottle and the rest water in the container.

I've pumped and sprayed for a couple of hours this afternoon... now that I'm done I have a couple of questions.

If I spray leaves on weeds that look like small trees or bushes, will it kill them too?

I pulled up my strawberry plants before spraying and have them resting in a wading pool... how long before I can till that ground and put them back in?

Do I wait for everything to turn brown and then till?

Thanks for any tips.:-6
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

spot

Anyone here use Roundup?

Post by spot »

Oh damn. I may have made a serious mistake for the last couple of months thinking that spray I found at the back of the bathroom was deodorant.

I'm going to need a mirror, where can I find a mirror.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Betty Boop

Anyone here use Roundup?

Post by Betty Boop »

Depends what your little things that you sprayed the leaves on are :wah: Roundup is a systemic weed killer so it will take a little while for you to see the results. It needs to be taken in through the leaves then transported around the plant and down to the root, then the plant will die a slow sad death. It's considered safe once it hits the soil so you're ok to plant again soon, hopefully you picked a day when rain is not imminent too.

How small was the bottle? 1litre? or less and how big is your sprayer, did you use a concentrate or common old roundup?

Wow, my sprays training came in handy all these years later :wah:
Betty Boop

Anyone here use Roundup?

Post by Betty Boop »

spot;1391925 wrote: Oh damn. I may have made a serious mistake for the last couple of months thinking that spray I found at the back of the bathroom was deodorant.

I'm going to need a mirror, where can I find a mirror.

Have you turned brown and crispy yet?
valerie

Anyone here use Roundup?

Post by valerie »

Yes to the question of it might kill the broader leaf weeds, I haven't

ever had a problem with what it killed, here. I do use it very sparingly,

mainly once a year on the difficult driveway crack weeds.

You probably should wait until the things turn brown and then till them under/in.

Will your strawberry plants be okay where they are in the pool for a few days?

The Round-up I use kills things very quickly, but I don't have the bottle here to

see what kind it is. But I always buy pre-mixed, too, hate to fool with the stuff

any more than I have to!
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

spot

Anyone here use Roundup?

Post by spot »

Betty Boop;1391934 wrote: Have you turned brown and crispy yet?

Not so far but there's a shocking ring round the bath these days.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Anyone here use Roundup?

Post by LarsMac »

Round-up is deadly. Pretty much every plant that gets a whiff will die a horrible death.

Ever hear of Agent Orange?

Round-up Version 1.

I use it, only in places where I want no vegetation to ever appear.

Good luck with your strawberries.

I would get some potting soil, put the strawberries in it. After the weeds are dead, dig them up and toss them in the trash, and fill the area with topsoil, and plant your strawberries in that.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Betty Boop

Anyone here use Roundup?

Post by Betty Boop »

spot;1391937 wrote: Not so far but there's a shocking ring round the bath these days.

I suggest you double the dose then, and try adding a litre of bleach to the bath ten minutes before you get out to deal with that ring.
spot

Anyone here use Roundup?

Post by spot »

Betty Boop;1391939 wrote: I suggest you double the dose then, and try adding a litre of bleach to the bath ten minutes before you get out to deal with that ring.

Hush, you're lowering the tone of the thread and valerie's in here. Find a little decorum.
Betty Boop

Anyone here use Roundup?

Post by Betty Boop »

LarsMac;1391938 wrote: Round-up is deadly. Pretty much every plant that gets a whiff will die a horrible death.

Round-up Version 1.

I would get some potting soil, put the strawberries in it. After the weeds are dead, dig them up and toss them in the trash, and fill the area with topsoil, and plant your strawberries in that.

hmmm... maybe you guys have a super duper strength roundup over there compared to us! We have other products that render the ground useless afterwards but not roundup. It didn't always kill everything on one application either.
LarsMac

Anyone here use Roundup?

Post by LarsMac »

Betty Boop;1391942 wrote: hmmm... maybe you guys have a super duper strength roundup over there compared to us! We have other products that render the ground useless afterwards but not roundup. It didn't always kill everything on one application either.

The stuff I bought at Home Depot is killer.

Every plant I have applied it to has been withered, and dead within a couple of days.
- DH Lawrence
fuzzywuzzy

Anyone here use Roundup?

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I used to use it many years ago ...until the company went broke closed all it's factories and sold it off . They were told to take an ingredient out of it and it's not as good anymore .

If you want your weeds gone (or grasses) Don't spray after or just before rain . Also use twice the dose recommended.

There is another product that has a sticky kind of solution to it that works much better in the wetter months.

Personally I use a farming weed killer I call it "biochemical warefare and distruction in a bottle" :)

If you want to go green with weed killing you have three options . Boiling water, white vinegar undiluted, or concrete your entire property.

Actually there is a fourth ...you do know that most 'weeds' (as we call them ) are edible plants?
flopstock

Anyone here use Roundup?

Post by flopstock »

Betty Boop;1391933 wrote: Depends what your little things that you sprayed the leaves on are :wah: Roundup is a systemic weed killer so it will take a little while for you to see the results. It needs to be taken in through the leaves then transported around the plant and down to the root, then the plant will die a slow sad death. It's considered safe once it hits the soil so you're ok to plant again soon, hopefully you picked a day when rain is not imminent too.

How small was the bottle? 1litre? or less and how big is your sprayer, did you use a concentrate or common old roundup?

Wow, my sprays training came in handy all these years later :wah:

It was a little over a gallon sprayer and I'll have to look up how that converts.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

flopstock

Anyone here use Roundup?

Post by flopstock »

valerie;1391936 wrote: Yes to the question of it might kill the broader leaf weeds, I haven't

ever had a problem with what it killed, here. I do use it very sparingly,

mainly once a year on the difficult driveway crack weeds.

You probably should wait until the things turn brown and then till them under/in.

Will your strawberry plants be okay where they are in the pool for a few days?

The Round-up I use kills things very quickly, but I don't have the bottle here to

see what kind it is. But I always buy pre-mixed, too, hate to fool with the stuff

any more than I have to!

Of course it's the coldest night in a month here in Illinois tonight..lol, but i have the wading pool up next to the house so hopefully they make it.

It's the creeping charlie that's done me in. Just three years ago, my plants were multiplying so fast I had to create a second patch. This year, only 6 plants came up in one area. The rest of the ground is covered in creeping charlie.

flopstock

Anyone here use Roundup?

Post by flopstock »

LarsMac;1391938 wrote: Round-up is deadly. Pretty much every plant that gets a whiff will die a horrible death.

Round-up Version 1.

I was thinking that tonight when I ran to the store and saw the potting soil stacked outside. I think maybe dig down a bit, coat with that black plactic stuff and build a new area. I'll need a truck load of dirt though...lol

flopstock

Anyone here use Roundup?

Post by flopstock »

fuzzywuzzy;1391966 wrote: I used to use it many years ago ...until the company went broke closed all it's factories and sold it off . They were told to take an ingredient out of it and it's not as good anymore .

If you want your weeds gone (or grasses) Don't spray after or just before rain . Also use twice the dose recommended.

There is another product that has a sticky kind of solution to it that works much better in the wetter months.

Personally I use a farming weed killer I call it "biochemical warefare and distruction in a bottle" :)

If you want to go green with weed killing you have three options . Boiling water, white vinegar undiluted, or concrete your entire property.

Actually there is a fourth ...you do know that most 'weeds' (as we call them ) are edible plants?

Seriously, white vinegar? Have you used it or just heard of it? This is the first time I've used this stuff.

Oscar Namechange

Anyone here use Roundup?

Post by Oscar Namechange »

spot;1391937 wrote: Not so far but there's a shocking ring round the bath these days.

What has this got to do with Flops thread?

I came here to hopefully get some tips myself.

Practice what you preach for goodness sake and keep on topic.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Snooz

Anyone here use Roundup?

Post by Snooz »

Frankie Laine - Rawhide (Original Stereo) - YouTube
Bryn Mawr

Anyone here use Roundup?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

flopstock;1391924 wrote: I got this sprayer with three bottles of the concentrate and it didn't tell me how big the sprayer was, so I went with one little bottle and the rest water in the container.

I've pumped and sprayed for a couple of hours this afternoon... now that I'm done I have a couple of questions.

If I spray leaves on weeds that look like small trees or bushes, will it kill them too?

I pulled up my strawberry plants before spraying and have them resting in a wading pool... how long before I can till that ground and put them back in?

Do I wait for everything to turn brown and then till?

Thanks for any tips.:-6

Use with care?

Glechoma hederacea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In extremely difficult cases, a short-lived full-spectrum herbicide such as Roundup is used to kill the entire lawn, and it is reseeded from start.

Glechoma is unusually sensitive to boron, and can be killed by applying borax (sodium tetraborate) in solution. The ratio is eight to ten ounces of borax dissolved in four ounces of warm water, diluted to 2.5 U.S. gallons of final solution, to be sprayed evenly over precisely 1,000 square feet (100 m2) of lawn "no more, no less". Note that despite being a "natural" treatment, boron is toxic to other plants and to animals at only slightly higher concentrations and, being an element, does not break down; therefore the long term effects of this technique on soil or groundwater, although not well documented, can be assumed to be unfavorable.[11][12] More recent research discounts the efficacy of borax, primarily because finding the correct concentration for a given area is difficult and the potential for damaging desired plants.[13]
flopstock

Anyone here use Roundup?

Post by flopstock »

SnoozeAgain;1392018 wrote: Frankie Laine - Rawhide (Original Stereo) - YouTube

Did I ever mention I'm glad you are around again?

flopstock

Anyone here use Roundup?

Post by flopstock »

Bryn Mawr;1392062 wrote: Use with care?

Glechoma hederacea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So the daughter informs me last night that my first use of a weed killer was on earth day...

Yikes!

fuzzywuzzy

Anyone here use Roundup?

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

flopstock;1391999 wrote: Seriously, white vinegar? Have you used it or just heard of it? This is the first time I've used this stuff.
I drove a tractor while the farmer sprayed undilauted white vinegar on trees (shrubs) six foot high. two weeks later all dead ..acidity .

Yes used it on plants and weeds. DEAD DEAD DEAD . What's vinegar? YOu're killing them with the acidity. And cheap as chips. And it disspates like alcohol.... doesn't stay int he soil.
fuzzywuzzy

Anyone here use Roundup?

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

flopstock;1392105 wrote: So the daughter informs me last night that my first use of a weed killer was on earth day...

Yikes!

She'lll get over it. LOL
Betty Boop

Anyone here use Roundup?

Post by Betty Boop »

fuzzywuzzy;1392110 wrote: I drove a tractor while the farmer sprayed undilauted white vinegar on trees (shrubs) six foot high. two weeks later all dead ..acidity .

Yes used it on plants and weeds. DEAD DEAD DEAD . What's vinegar? YOu're killing them with the acidity. And cheap as chips. And it disspates like alcohol.... doesn't stay int he soil.

Wonder what it will do to bamboo, nothing seems to kill that damn stuff.
Bryn Mawr

Anyone here use Roundup?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Betty Boop;1392120 wrote: Wonder what it will do to bamboo, nothing seems to kill that damn stuff.

See it you can borrow a spare panda or two from the local zoo?
fuzzywuzzy

Anyone here use Roundup?

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Betty Boop;1392120 wrote: Wonder what it will do to bamboo, nothing seems to kill that damn stuff.

OOOHHH hang on I do know ...Dad had to get rid of ours a long time ago (gets out of control doesn't it lol) I'll get back to you .
fuzzywuzzy

Anyone here use Roundup?

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Yep vinegar will do it but you have to be quick once you've cut back the shoots. You want a vinegar that has 20% acidity. Vinegar is usually 8% . I'm not sure what you would call it in your country but here we call it spirit vinegar.

Damn this i have a craving for fish and chips now ... gotta stop talking about vinegar. :wah:
spot

Anyone here use Roundup?

Post by spot »

I've got five gallons of that in a one gallon container in a cupboard but I bet I'd not be allowed to post it. It's called Glacial Acetic Acid, dilute 1+4. Diluted 1+19 it's photographic stop bath.
Oscar Namechange

Anyone here use Roundup?

Anyone know of something that will kill Bindweed without poisoning my dogs and cat ?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
LarsMac

Anyone here use Roundup?

Post by LarsMac »

Try the vinegar.
- DH Lawrence
Oscar Namechange

Anyone here use Roundup?

LarsMac;1392195 wrote: Try the vinegar.

It's worth a try..... I'll give It a go...

I wonder If It will kill my neighbours Virginia Creeper that keeps growing over my wall :sneaky::thinking::thinking::sneaky:
flopstock

Anyone here use Roundup?

Post by flopstock »

oscar;1392191 wrote: Anyone know of something that will kill Bindweed without poisoning my dogs and cat ?

OMG Oscar! I think I may have that too!

What in the heck happened to my yard this year?

Oscar Namechange

Anyone here use Roundup?

flopstock;1392198 wrote: OMG Oscar! I think I may have that too!

What in the heck happened to my yard this year? I have found Bindweed totally Indestructable... I have even taken a blow torch to It.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/WEEDS/fi ... dweed.html
LarsMac

Anyone here use Roundup?

Post by LarsMac »

In Colorado we have something called Bindweed mites.

Here is an interesting piece of info.

Perhaps a similar service exists in your neck of the woods.

Mighty mites battle bindweed
- DH Lawrence

Return to “Gardening Forum”