Guerrilla Grafters Bring Forbidden Fruit Back To City Trees

Discuss growing vegetables, fruits, and herbs.
tabby

Post by tabby »

Guerrilla Grafters Bring Forbidden Fruit Back To City Trees : The Salt : NPR

I love the undercover & furtive feel of this relatively simple act of agricultural resistance. I lean strongly toward the side of these modern day anarchistic versions of Johnny Appleseed and I hope literally that this movement bears fruit. The legal implications and paranoia that plague the city foresters & leaders is understandable but I think it’s a long shot of ever being tested.

When Bradford Pear trees were introduced commercially and became a popular sale item at nurseries, I remember my father scratching his head and questioning why someone would plant a fruit tree that would never bear fruit. I tried to explain to him that the trees had a lovely shape and that not everyone wanted or needed a tree that was loaded with fruit every year. His thoughts & logic were that if you had more fruit that you could eat, you simply gave it to someone who wanted or needed it.

So what do you think? Do you side with these guerrilla grafters or the city government?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

tabby;1391730 wrote: Guerrilla Grafters Bring Forbidden Fruit Back To City Trees : The Salt : NPR

I love the undercover & furtive feel of this relatively simple act of agricultural resistance. I lean strongly toward the side of these modern day anarchistic versions of Johnny Appleseed and I hope literally that this movement bears fruit. The legal implications and paranoia that plague the city foresters & leaders is understandable but I think it’s a long shot of ever being tested.

When Bradford Pear trees were introduced commercially and became a popular sale item at nurseries, I remember my father scratching his head and questioning why someone would plant a fruit tree that would never bear fruit. I tried to explain to him that the trees had a lovely shape and that not everyone wanted or needed a tree that was loaded with fruit every year. His thoughts & logic were that if you had more fruit that you could eat, you simply gave it to someone who wanted or needed it.

So what do you think? Do you side with these guerrilla grafters or the city government?

I like the idea.

Bradford pear trees are kind of like those girls we keep hearing about in the social rags.

Pretty, but otherwise useless.

When we were kids there were any number of neighbors with fruit tress in their yards, and plenty to eat for a hungry kids in the fall.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence

Return to “Gardening Forum”