Goof for Boris

A forum to discuss local issues in England.
gmc

Goof for Boris

Post by gmc »

'Gay cure' advert banned from London buses by Boris Johnson and TfL | Mail Online

Boris blocks Christian anti-gay poster campaign on London buses that claimed homosexuality could be cured

Bout time we stopped pandering to the prejudices of the godly. I rather like one of the suggestions from the comments page - religion is an illness. In reality Believing in a super being who made everything is bad enough without also believing you are the only one who has the true faith and every one who doesn't agree with you is going to hell.
Accountable

Goof for Boris

Post by Accountable »

What's that got to do with squelching one's right to speak?
Bruv

Goof for Boris

Post by Bruv »

.............the Tory mayor took immediate steps to halt the 'offensive' campaign, which he said had no place in a tolerant city.

...............He said yesterday: 'London is one of the most tolerant cities in the world and intolerant of intolerance.

How does that work then ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Accountable

Goof for Boris

Post by Accountable »

Bruv;1391267 wrote: How does that work then ?
My guess is that it's a contract. The mayor simply cancels the contract and gives the money back.
Bruv

Goof for Boris

Post by Bruv »

No the phrase.............."London is one of the most tolerant cities in the world and intolerant of intolerance."

Don't often get the chance to use the word oxymoron, but that has to be one doesn't it Teach?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Accountable

Goof for Boris

Post by Accountable »

Bruv;1391273 wrote: No the phrase.............."London is one of the most tolerant cities in the world and intolerant of intolerance."

Don't often get the chance to use the word oxymoron, but that has to be one doesn't it Teach?
Ding! Move to the front of the class. :D
gmc

Goof for Boris

Post by gmc »

Why should people who preach hatred and intolerance be allowed to spread their hate filed message? We are intolerant of bigotry, we have been putting up with religious groups complaining they are not allowed to practice their religion which is nonsense since no one is stopping them going to church but that does not mean we should stand by and let them preach bigotry and discrimination. This is in the tradition of a london that stopped the nazi blackshirts marching through predominantly jewish areas, jew, black, gay there is no such thing as an acceptable hatred if you want to live in a free society. Your right to hate and despise someone stops when you act on it.
Accountable

Goof for Boris

Post by Accountable »

gmc;1391359 wrote: there is no such thing as an acceptable hatred if you want to live in a free society.Except for your own, of course.

gmc;1391359 wrote: Your right to hate and despise someone stops when you act on it.And speaking is acting on it?
gmc

Goof for Boris

Post by gmc »

Accountable;1391402 wrote: Except for your own, of course.

And speaking is acting on it?

I've never claimed to be perfect and have all the right answers - unlike the religious and I will not interfere with someone lifestyle or condemn it so long as they don't force it on others and respect my right to the same level of tolerance. The religious demand the right to impose their will on others that is a bit different from them being told to stop inciting others to hatred. You are right though I o have an intense dislike of the religious right but I come from a country with a very long history of religious bigotry. Where is the line between speaking your mind and inciting hatred?

We must exterminate these people root and branch; the homosexual must be eliminated.”

Joseph Goebbels - another right wing christian wishing to preserve traditional values. Boris is following a london tradition opposing bigots. I would quite oastor nedermeyer but I think you get my drift.

Battle of Cable Street, 1936 - YouTube

They are picking on homosexuals because it is not acceptable to pick on Catholics or protestants or muslims any more but they can still attack homosexuals in order to make them feel godly, it's so much easier than wasting time tolerating those whom the good lord has seen fit to make "different". The same old prejudices and arguments come round time after time just in different forms.

Return to “England”