Face transplant

All items relating to Healthcare: Medical insurance, company policies, insurance coverage, policy costs, and more!
Bruv

Face transplant

Post by Bruv »

As much as I find the ability to do such a thing amazing, isn't it just surgeons 'showing off'?

I have very mixed feelings about such surgery.

In a world where simple healthcare costs are under close scrutiny, with certain treatments beyond either insurance or public purse, how do they justify such a procedure, and who pays ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Oscar Namechange

Face transplant

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Bruv;1389056 wrote: As much as I find the ability to do such a thing amazing, isn't it just surgeons 'showing off'?

I have very mixed feelings about such surgery.

In a world where simple healthcare costs are under close scrutiny, with certain treatments beyond either insurance or public purse, how do they justify such a procedure, and who pays ?
The paramount Importance of any reconstructive surgery Is the mental well being of the patient.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bruv

Face transplant

Post by Bruv »

oscar;1389057 wrote: The paramount Importance of any reconstructive surgery Is the mental well being of the patient.

What about the physical well being of the many that are denied expensive treatments due to lack of funds ?

It just seems like a disproportionate allocation of money and time.

Don't get me wrong I am impressed in the skill and ability to do such amazing work.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Oscar Namechange

Face transplant

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Bruv;1389061 wrote: What about the physical well being of the many that are denied expensive treatments due to lack of funds ?

It just seems like a disproportionate allocation of money and time.

Don't get me wrong I am impressed in the skill and ability to do such amazing work.

Facial reconstruction Is rarely just about the Aesthetics. If there Is severe disfigurement to the facial area, more often than not, there Is underlying difficulties that must be addressed. The patient may not be able to eat, they may not be able to breathe through their nose, there may be nerve damage to eyes etc etc.... the cosmetics are often just the finishing touch once those problems have been addressed.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
K.Snyder

Face transplant

Post by K.Snyder »

A face transplant?

Well, in such a case I'd say some serious psychiatry needs to be involved. What happens when the person's face, that didn't want the one they had initially, lands on the other who then develops "Body Dysmorphic Disorder"?

Same problem, just a relocation of ugliness that ends in one big circular mess!

Return to “Healthcare”