Lines Written While Off Line.

jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Having recently had no access to FG for a few days, I had no excuse for not working on my latest novel. Having spent two years or more first researching and then writing a story that took place thousands of years ago for my last effort, I decided that with this book I seriously needed to get back to the here and now for a change.

Of course I love history be it that of Ancient Rome, the English Regency Period, Victorian England or New York in the 1920s or 1930s. However, for my next work of fiction I was determined to write a contemporary story.

So I opened an unfinished first draft of a story that has been sitting on the back burner for some time. At least this one is set in the 21st century, I said to myself. I’d given up on this particular story because two thirds of the way thru it I hit the proverbial “brick wall,” and I knew exactly why.

We’re taught from a very young age that every tale has a beginning, middle and an end. When I began writing this one I had the first two but not the ending. I hoped that this would come to me as I wrote as often the characters themselves come up with an ending – this time it didn’t happen.

So I did the other thing we were taught at writing school … I decided to make the ending the beginning and write towards it so to speak. I opened chapter one with the funeral of the matriarch of the family whose death brought an end to an era. The rest of the novel would then be made up of “flash backs” to the time when she was still alive.

Well it didn’t take me long to go: “Duh, you’ve just gone and done it again dumbass … you’re writing history again!!”

Okay, that lot got saved under “Unfinished Novels Doc.” After some more thought I came up with a brilliant solution. I would write a science fiction novel set in the future and in that way avoid making the same mistake again. I so hate being kicked twice by the same donkey!!

Yeah right!! Even while doing research I had grave misgivings and after writing a single page of the opening chapter, I knew I would never ever follow thru with it.

Save under “Ideas for Novels Doc.”

So what next, you may well ask. Take a guess … go on. Yeah, right first time. I’m currently doing research for my next novel about a wealthy but dysfunctional family who come together for their annual reunion between Christmas and New Year.

What’s that? Oh when exactly does this story take place?

Oh somewhere in London England.

When exactly and stop stalling?

During the 1920s of course … why do you ask?
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
rajakrsna

Post by rajakrsna »

The Muse deserted you. There must be a reason why she did not come back. It has always been the Muse that makes us creative in our writing a story. In Sanskrit she is described as Sarawasti.
Om namo bagavate vasudevaya, " God is the Cause of All causes."
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

You said "latest novel" which implies you've written at least one before. Where may I read your finished work? Has your work appeared anywhere, are you published? I think that's wonderful JJ, to discipline yourself to work at writing. I know that's hard to do.
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

AnneBoleyn;1387780 wrote: You said "latest novel" which implies you've written at least one before. Where may I read your finished work? Has your work appeared anywhere, are you published? I think that's wonderful JJ, to discipline yourself to work at writing. I know that's hard to do.

At the moment you can read it on Kindle. Gimme a shout via pm and I'll give you details.
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I don't have kindle! :>(
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

AnneBoleyn;1387783 wrote: I don't have kindle! :>(
Okay ... I will work a little magic and get the opening chapter to you as soon as I am able. If you want to read more then let me know.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I want to read more also.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

oscar;1387854 wrote: I want to read more also.

Ask Anne to pass Chapter One on to you when she's finished ... but thats all you get!! I have a wife and ten kids to feed ya know!!
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

jones jones;1387857 wrote: Ask Anne to pass Chapter One on to you when she's finished ... but thats all you get!! I have a wife and ten kids to feed ya know!!

:wah:

Will do....
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon

Return to “Poetry Writing Forum”