500 Years of Female Portraits in Western Art

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
tabby

Post by tabby »

Beautiful!
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

They all look related.
tabby

Post by tabby »

True! Except for the Picasso one. She's the one that gets hustled away to the attic when company comes! "She don't look right in the head".
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I'm a lover of Tedema. they don't look the same ..and neither do the others ..it's the pattern of continuity you are seeing . ideas borrowed . But I guess you're all looking at the eyes .(very cleverly done ) ..go back to the phynx and you'll see the same ..the eye's are the window of the world ? no matter what race you are the eyes have it....I notice there is no eastern art in this ...that's a shame.

picasso a beautiful illustrationist was making a point with his art ...cubanism afforded him genius status. I have a story to tell here about an art gallery expedition when I was in school.... but picasso ? ...definately genius.
tabby

Post by tabby »

Good points! I'd hate to look like Picasso's women though. Whatever he's trying to say, it goes right past me. Not that that's hard to do but I don't get the visual enjoyment out of his art as much as the others. Be sure to post your art exhibition story!
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Awesome Tabs! They are from the time when men were men and all women were double breasted!
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

jones jones;1387598 wrote: Awesome Tabs! They are from the time when men were men and all women were double breasted!

You have single breasted women where you're from? What do you do with your other hand.:sneaky:
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

YZGI;1387576 wrote: They all look related.

They've all got the same mouth - everything else changes but it's always the same mouth!
spot

Post by spot »

tabby;1387592 wrote: Good points! I'd hate to look like Picasso's women though. Whatever he's trying to say, it goes right past me. Not that that's hard to do but I don't get the visual enjoyment out of his art as much as the others. Be sure to post your art exhibition story!

If you want to give it a try I note Auction Details - Prints, Aquatint, Drypoint, and engraving on Montval laid paper , Pablo Picasso, Minotaure aveugle guidé par Marie-Thérèse au pigeon dans une nuit étoilée (from Vollard) , Lot 63776 finishes mid-day Tuesday and it's a snip at $100k. If I had a spare $100k I'd hang that on my wall for a few years quite happily.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
tabby

Post by tabby »

Oh thanks for the tipoff ... if it was $ 95K I'd consider it but $ 100K is simply too much. Seriously, I'd rather hang a set of the iconic cigar smoking, poker playing dogs on the wall than this painting ... what is this one trying to say to me?
spot

Post by spot »

tabby;1388497 wrote: Oh thanks for the tipoff ... if it was $ 95K I'd consider it but $ 100K is simply too much. Seriously, I'd rather hang a set of the iconic cigar smoking, poker playing dogs on the wall than this painting ... what is this one trying to say to me?It's a self-portrait which includes multiple images of his idealized woman simultaneously showing him the way and being the destination, and Christ-references to the bumper catches you can get when you put the net out on the right side of the boat. I take the motif to be one of severe and irrepressible gloating.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
tabby

Post by tabby »

See? I didn't get that from it! I don't do subtle imagery well apparently but I'm usually pretty good with blunt imagery. :thinking:
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

I see a minotaur trying to get a blow job. There's more to it than that?
spot

Post by spot »

SnoozeAgain;1388600 wrote: I see a minotaur trying to get a blow job. There's more to it than that?

The Minotaur's seeking it from the viewer, else he'd not have painted it. That's a step forward into the mind of an egotist.
tabby

Post by tabby »

Here's a version with dogs in art that the dog lovers might enjoy:

along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

It would seem that the female image has become more abstract over the years. Men have discovered that we are more complex than they used to think. ;)
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
tabby

Post by tabby »

Here's a morphing of some beautiful women past and present:

YZGI

Post by YZGI »

About 80 percent of them seem to have the exact same nose.
tabby

Post by tabby »

It must be the "Hollywood" nose !
tabby

Post by tabby »

This one uses the same model throughout with an evolution of fashion.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

This proves women can't decide what to wear when going out on a date until he steps in and says "enough - let's go".
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Ahso!;1504914 wrote: This proves women can't decide what to wear when going out on a date until he steps in and says "enough - let's go".

Since you've insulted women, surely you won't mind being called a chauvinist pig. Oink.

Return to “People”