Wheat Pennies

Affectionately known as The Cawfee Shop. There's no better place to be than in your own coffee shop discussing "whatever" with friends.
tabby

Wheat Pennies

Post by tabby »

I received some change back yesterday and realized when I got home that a wheat penny was mixed in with the other coins. My dad used to collect wheat pennies and he was always pleased when he sorted through his pocket change and discovered one. Small pleasures! It's hard to read the year on the one I received yesterday but I think it says 1955. I looked online for some history on them and apparently the wheat pennies were issued with Abraham Lincoln on the front and 2 sheaves of wheat on the back from 1909 until 1958. Their value is still probably nominal but I'd have to check on that. I also received a Canadian penny yesterday and it's hard to read the date but it's either 1956 or 1958 ... the last digit is hard to make out!

Does anyone else here save wheat pennies or any other circulating coin?
Oscar Namechange

Wheat Pennies

Post by Oscar Namechange »

tabby;1386891 wrote: I received some change back yesterday and realized when I got home that a wheat penny was mixed in with the other coins. My dad used to collect wheat pennies and he was always pleased when he sorted through his pocket change and discovered one. Small pleasures! It's hard to read the year on the one I received yesterday but I think it says 1955. I looked online for some history on them and apparently the wheat pennies were issued with Abraham Lincoln on the front and 2 sheaves of wheat on the back from 1909 until 1958. Their value is still probably nominal but I'd have to check on that. I also received a Canadian penny yesterday and it's hard to read the date but it's either 1956 or 1958 ... the last digit is hard to make out!

Does anyone else here save wheat pennies or any other circulating coin?

I had to do a search on wheat pennies because I had no Idea what they were. Some of them seem to go for big money.

I have some Crowns with Edward 8th on them. They were produced before he abdicated to marry Wallis Simpson but I don't think they are worth a huge amount.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bryn Mawr

Wheat Pennies

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1387010 wrote: I had to do a search on wheat pennies because I had no Idea what they were. Some of them seem to go for big money.

I have some Crowns with Edward 8th on them. They were produced before he abdicated to marry Wallis Simpson but I don't think they are worth a huge amount.

I'm not sure about the commemorative coins (and I suspect that you are right) but the legal tender that managed to get into circulation for EVIIIR is worth a fair bit.
Oscar Namechange

Wheat Pennies

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Bryn Mawr;1387027 wrote: I'm not sure about the commemorative coins (and I suspect that you are right) but the legal tender that managed to get into circulation for EVIIIR is worth a fair bit.

I've just had a look and mine seem to be going for an average of £30 - £50
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
tabby

Wheat Pennies

Post by tabby »

That makes a good family keepsake, Oscar!

Return to “The Coffee Shop”