Are you a hunter: yes or no? (explain)

Grizzled_Bear

Post by Grizzled_Bear »

I hunted for 2 or 3 years, I never killed anything. I just wanted to spend time with my dad. I don't find it objectionable when done in a sporting way, 1 shot, 1 kill. As hobbies go, waking up a 4am and being miserably cold is less than appealing to me. Punching holes in paper, that's just fun year round.
el guapo

Post by el guapo »

hunting not so big over here

but id love to give it a go
"To be foolish and to recognize that one is foolish, is better than to be foolish and imagine that one is wise."
Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

Dixiespurgirl;37047 wrote: I was wanting to know how everyone stands on hunting. I'm not talking about "trophy" hunting, but merely the large population of the world that quietly pays their fees and hunts their bounty in their own backyard or hunting lease.

I have been a hunter since a very young age. My husband is an avid hunter and my brother owns a hunting reserve. Just recently, my soon to be seven year old went on his first hog hunt (family tradition...honestly, hog hunting is like learning to go without training wheels for other families). I grew up this way, my kids grew up this way, and we tend to eat more venison and pork from the great outdoors than the piggy wiggly!

How does everyone view hunting? Do you or do you not hunt? Do you accept the rights of others to hunt?They don't make guns for girls....
Smoke signals ftw!
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

Omni_Skittles;1011832 wrote: They don't make guns for girls....

What? lol A gun knows no gender.
G-man

Post by G-man »

:wah::wah::wah: Really?

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

Mustang;1011834 wrote: What? lol A gun knows no gender.That's what grand-dad says...
Smoke signals ftw!
Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

G-man;1011842 wrote: :wah::wah::wah: Really?seriously... my grand-dad says they don't make guns for girls... he works in a gun place so i think he knows his stuff
Smoke signals ftw!
Odie

Post by Odie »

fisher;427330 wrote: I have been hunting since I was 16 years old.Deer hunting starts in about two weeks here and a bunch of us stay at a hunting camp about a hours ride in on a ATV.Something I look forward to every year.

Hi neighbour which part of Canada are you from?

Life is just to short for drama.
Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

jimbo;1011850 wrote: yes they do an ak 47 should take the bitches out :thinking::thinking::thinking:hahahahahaha
Smoke signals ftw!
Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

jimbo;1011857 wrote: phew i'm glad you laughed i was worried i'd upset someone :rolleyes::rolleyes:me upset? pfft naw your humor cracks me up...
Smoke signals ftw!
Grizzled_Bear

Post by Grizzled_Bear »

Actually several manufacturers make pink guns, in the hopes of selling to girls specifically.
Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

Grizzled_Bear;1011916 wrote: Actually several manufacturers make pink guns, in the hopes of selling to girls specifically.really? lol i wouldn't buy it... okay maybe i would but that's not the point hahahaha
Smoke signals ftw!
Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

fuzzy butt;1011919 wrote: I hunt (but I just call it "goin out shootin" ) I don't shoot roo's anymore but foxes and rabbits I do . when I was little I used to go out with dad ... we had ferrets , ferreting is fun until they decide to sit in the warren and have a meal and your sitting there for hours waiting for them. Can't stand duck shooting because it seems to bring out the crazys down here. the people around here that shoot the hogs and deer I wouldn't want to know or go out with (mountain boys:-3:-2 )i thought i was in love with a mountain boy once... hmmm lol
Smoke signals ftw!
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

No, I don't hunt. I think it's awful to look a poor animal in the eye and shoot it. I just don't see the sport in it. I understand the reasons to cull animals for control and the desire to eat meat. But, I never will "get" the enjoyment of killing an animal.
Grizzled_Bear

Post by Grizzled_Bear »

I don't think hunters necessarily derive their enjoyment from killing animals. Though arguably semantic, I think it's the skill it takes to find game and accurately place shots.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Grizzled_Bear;1011947 wrote: I don't think hunters necessarily derive their enjoyment from killing animals. Though arguably semantic, I think it's the skill it takes to find game and accurately place shots.

There's always the target range to practice shooting a gun. The hunters I know take joy in the hunt:thinking:
Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

Kathy Ellen;1011956 wrote: There's always the target range to practice shooting a gun. The hunters I know take joy in the hunt:thinking:target range is so much different.... first of all these things are based off instincts not feelings.... It's not bambi we are shooting... just an animal with instincts...
Smoke signals ftw!
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

If you want to measure your skill with a gun then shoot targets - of you insist on live targets then paintball - unless you're killing to eat then don't.
Grizzled_Bear

Post by Grizzled_Bear »

I think the argument of necessity when it comes to hunting is overplayed. With the exception of a few dietary disorders and illnesses, no one really needs to eat meat to survive, ever. Enjoying a steak and disliking hunting is pretty hypocritical.
Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

Bryn Mawr;1011965 wrote: If you want to measure your skill with a gun then shoot targets - of you insist on live targets then paintball - unless you're killing to eat then don't.i kill to eat haha... I don't think we should kill animals like dogs though... I might kill you if i heard that!
Smoke signals ftw!
Odie

Post by Odie »

however, in the Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2008, I

will be hunting what ever comes up!
Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

Odie;1012065 wrote: however, in the Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2008, I

will be hunting what ever comes up!shameless plugs lol
Smoke signals ftw!
Odie

Post by Odie »

Omni_Skittles;1012066 wrote: shameless plugs lol

ohhhhh my friend, The Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2008 is not shamless!:wah:
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

lots of people hunt and fish here but they do it to stock their freezers. Never ending supply of fish, deer and wild hog. Yummy. :wah:
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

sunny104;1012519 wrote: lots of people hunt and fish here but they do it to stock their freezers. Never ending supply of fish, deer and wild hog. Yummy. :wah:

That's fair enough - man has ever hunted to eat.

It's hunting for the pleasure and "honour" of killing that I object to - it's not sport it's just killing.

(Here there are big signs on the rivers and lakes telling the fishermen that they *must* throw the catch back - not allowed to keep and eat it. You see lots of dead fish as a result).
Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

Bryn Mawr;1012990 wrote: That's fair enough - man has ever hunted to eat.

It's hunting for the pleasure and "honour" of killing that I object to - it's not sport it's just killing.

(Here there are big signs on the rivers and lakes telling the fishermen that they *must* throw the catch back - not allowed to keep and eat it. You see lots of dead fish as a result).Can i just say, that i love being in America... and Texas... lol
Smoke signals ftw!
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

Bryn Mawr;1012990 wrote: That's fair enough - man has ever hunted to eat.

It's hunting for the pleasure and "honour" of killing that I object to - it's not sport it's just killing.(Here there are big signs on the rivers and lakes telling the fishermen that they *must* throw the catch back - not allowed to keep and eat it. You see lots of dead fish as a result).

I agree with that! :-6
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

Omni_Skittles;1012995 wrote: Can i just say, that i love being in America... and Texas... lol

me too! :D
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

I agree with that also Bryn. I understand killing an animal to eat, but just don't understand the joy of the kill:confused:

qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Not a hunter except for crabbing at the Jersey shore.
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

I couldn't kill an animal. Anyway meat comes from the store! :yh_silly :wah:
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Kathy Ellen;1013755 wrote: I agree with that also Bryn. I understand killing an animal to eat, but just don't understand the joy of the kill:confused:

It's the thrill of the hunt that is the pull. After a kill is a bit harder to explain but the first thing that comes to mind is a deep respect for the animal.

The next phase, The cleaning is more of a chore than anything else.

The cooking and eating is a delight though.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

YZGI;1013886 wrote: It's the thrill of the hunt that is the pull. After a kill is a bit harder to explain but the first thing that comes to mind is a deep respect for the animal.

The next phase, The cleaning is more of a chore than anything else.

The cooking and eating is a delight though.

If it's the thrill of the hunt you're after then shoot with a camera
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Bryn Mawr;1014136 wrote: If it's the thrill of the hunt you're after then shoot with a camera
It's hard to eat film. I don't mind the fiber mind you but I haven't been able to figure a good cooking method.:D
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

YZGI;1014143 wrote: It's hard to eat film. I don't mind the fiber mind you but I haven't been able to figure a good cooking method.:D

As I said, killing to eat is a different kettle of fish from killing for sport.

Given the hightlight you put on :-

I agree with that also Bryn. I understand killing an animal to eat, but just don't understand the joy of the kill

I assumed you were trying to justify hunting as a sport.

YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Bryn Mawr;1014163 wrote: As I said, killing to eat is a different kettle of fish from killing for sport.

Given the hightlight you put on :-

I agree with that also Bryn. I understand killing an animal to eat, but just don't understand the joy of the kill

I assumed you were trying to justify hunting as a sport.

The eating of the kill is what makes it sporting. Otherwise it would just be heartless killing.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

YZGI;1014165 wrote: The eating of the kill is what makes it sporting. Otherwise it would just be heartless killing.

Two nations separated by a common language
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Bryn Mawr;1014203 wrote: Two nations separated by a common language
I agree, different cultures I reckon.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I understand theres some kind of contraption that you shove up a deers arse then hook the intestines pulling them all out throught the arse.

Im assuming you do this to a dead deer.

*Just throwing that out there.*
I AM AWESOME MAN
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

I love deer jerky...LOVE IT! Could snack on it all day...

Can someone kill a deer for me please?
gmc

Post by gmc »

YZGI;1014249 wrote: I agree, different cultures I reckon.

Over here we have shooting estates - large areas of land where all the people were cleared initially to farm sheep when that wasn't making enough money they encouraged the grouse so they could bring large shooting parties of the rich so they can enjoy themselves slaughtering thousands of birds. It's not just the highlands but central scotland, north of England and also throughout europe the same kind of thing happened. Over here hunting is largely seen as a rich man's sport where the fun is in killing for the fun of it with little other purpose by a bunch of selfish bastards who don't care what effect their actions have on everybody else. It's awkward though, I have relatives who are gamekeepers and the like so it's hard being too bolshie about it. At least in Scotland we have a right to roam.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

gmc;1385910 wrote: At least in Scotland we have a right to roam.I live across the street from a golf course and a herd of deer that roam through my yard practically every day...My fiance thinks "they are sooooo beautiful!"...Every time I see them I'm sizing up the big ones and estimating how much of their meet I can pack in the freezer...I suppose I do sort of know what it's like to be a cold blooded killer, but I have an excuse...

I LOVE me some deer jerky!!!!!!!!

Return to “Gun Control”