Any smokers here?

All items relating to Healthcare: Medical insurance, company policies, insurance coverage, policy costs, and more!
Lady J

Any smokers here?

Post by Lady J »

I don't smoke but many of my friends do...and they have changed over to E-Cigarettes.....would you try them and if so, what did you think?

Electronic cigarette - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
K.Snyder

Any smokers here?

Post by K.Snyder »

I was thinking of something similar but my idea completely eliminates user involvement altogether.

We place tubes down peoples throats and pump smoke directly into air valves that we've surgically implanted into their lungs(Don't worry, and I know what everyone is thinking, but I've figured into the plan an emergency release valve that doubles the amount of smoke that pumps through the tube in the vent one isn't getting enough WARNING: "overdose can occur through combined use of nicotine patches or nicotine gum and cigarettes at the same time."
spot

Any smokers here?

Post by spot »

E-Cigarettes defeat the purpose of smoking, which is to engage in a deliberately self-destructive act whenever the fit takes one. I smoke, I wouldn't dream of reducing the effect by finding a "healthy" option, I might as well use a patch instead if consuming nicotine was the goal.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
YZGI

Any smokers here?

Post by YZGI »

Not any more. I quit 10-10-10. Haven't had one since.
spot

Any smokers here?

Post by spot »

I had my most recent cigarette a year and a month and a week and a day ago but that doesn't stop me being a smoker.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
YZGI

Any smokers here?

Post by YZGI »

spot;1385020 wrote: I had my most recent cigarette a year and a month and a week and a day ago but that doesn't stop me being a smoker.

Oh I see, you still hit a little of the wild weed eh? LOL
flopstock

Any smokers here?

Post by flopstock »

:guitaristYZGI;1385017 wrote: Not any more. I quit 10-10-10. Haven't had one since.

good boy!:guitarist
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Bruv

Any smokers here?

Post by Bruv »

spot;1385020 wrote: I had my most recent cigarette a year and a month and a week and a day ago but that doesn't stop me being a smoker.

It was Keith Waterhouse who famously (in my world) was a smoker who kept putting off his next cigarette for many years.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Snooz

Any smokers here?

Post by Snooz »

Electronic cigarette explodes in man's mouth, causes serious injuries - HealthPop - CBS News
koan

Any smokers here?

Post by koan »

"many of my friends do... and they have changed over"

why does that reek?

all of your smoker friends have changed over? really? you sure they're not sneaking some in the garden?

well, gee whiz. who'd have thunk it would be so effective.

I took a "drag" off one. It tasted like a cigarello and reminded me how much I wanted a real smoke.

Perhaps your friends aren't really the committed type.
spot

Any smokers here?

Post by spot »

I'm guided in this regard by the actor who plays Dot Cotton on Eastenders and continually derides hers, lighting up old-fashioned cigarettes at the most shockingly inappropriate moments.
LarsMac

Any smokers here?

Post by LarsMac »

I quit cigs back in '79 when I found myself gasping for air at 10,000 feet in Idaho.

Still like a good cigar once every ten years or so.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Chloe_88

Any smokers here?

Post by Chloe_88 »

I'd rather quit then smoke E. Cigarettes. I don't see the point of "faking" it.

For those who have used it to quit smoking and it has helped, bravo. But no way i'm using that thing.
buttercup

Any smokers here?

Post by buttercup »

Tried it, tried everything.

Managed to stop once for 11 months, wanted one everyday for the whole 11 months.
AnneBoleyn

Any smokers here?

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Buttercup, did you try Chantix? I have been using it, on & off, for years. I don't happen to need it now, but if I do, I will get it again. It is the only thing ever to make not smoking bearable.
K.Snyder

Any smokers here?

Post by K.Snyder »

buttercup;1385596 wrote: Tried it, tried everything.

Managed to stop once for 11 months, wanted one everyday for the whole 11 months.I bet stopping for those 11 months was a fantastic health benefit. I've read that smokers "quit" smoking, on average, I think it was 6 times or so before they eventually quit for good. Perhaps one doesn't need to assume if they've failed to "quit" once that they can never quit. I like to think so :yh_wink
buttercup

Any smokers here?

Post by buttercup »

AnneBoleyn;1385652 wrote: Buttercup, did you try Chantix? I have been using it, on & off, for years. I don't happen to need it now, but if I do, I will get it again. It is the only thing ever to make not smoking bearable.

Its called champix here, terrible stomach cramps and diarrhea as side effects, not really practical when your work is out and about. Like i said tried everything *sigh*
buttercup

Any smokers here?

Post by buttercup »

K.Snyder;1385738 wrote: I bet stopping for those 11 months was a fantastic health benefit. I've read that smokers "quit" smoking, on average, I think it was 6 times or so before they eventually quit for good. Perhaps one doesn't need to assume if they've failed to "quit" once that they can never quit. I like to think so :yh_wink

Hi K

Can honestly say i never noticed any health benefit, i will of course try to stop again at some point in the future but the memory of the misery of those 11 months is still too fresh to contemplate doing it anytime soon.
K.Snyder

Any smokers here?

Post by K.Snyder »

buttercup;1385764 wrote: Hi K

Can honestly say i never noticed any health benefit, i will of course try to stop again at some point in the future but the memory of the misery of those 11 months is still too fresh to contemplate doing it anytime soon.Hello buttercup

I can recall that the majority of people describing their experiences, with either themselves or others they know, have either had success or seen someone successful in giving up smoking entirely by doing so cold turkey(I'm not calling you a cold turkey while attempting to encourage you to have another fag)

But it seems cold turkey has had alot of success. Perhaps along with it does come a bit of misery...
AnneBoleyn

Any smokers here?

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I'm so lucky Chantix worked for me. No ill side effects, none. & if ever I fall off the wagon, & I have, I just start using it again, for a very short period of time, like a week.

I never had the guts for cold turkey. I'm so glad something worked. The patches sometimes made me physically ill.

Smoking is very dangerous. I know it feels so right! & pleasurable, but for too many it will kill you & shorten your health & life.
spot

Any smokers here?

Post by spot »

AnneBoleyn;1385788 wrote: for too many it will kill you & shorten your health & life.
I'm glad you made that distinction, too few people bother. Being run over by a car kills you. A heart attack kills you. Smoking never killed anyone but it has undoubtedly depleted the health and shortened the life of hundreds of millions and will continue to do so for as long as anyone's daft enough to ingest their drug of choice in such a lethal manner.
buttercup

Any smokers here?

Post by buttercup »

Oh dear Spot, if only life were so easy, every smoker knows doing it is daft hun.

Addiction is a problem period, just because smoking cigarette's is legal makes it no less an addiction than anything else, its handy that its legal, helps us justify it in a sense. The addiction is what we have to address, why are we addicted to smoking? We have to address the underlying cause.

I already know why i smoke / drink / eat too much
rajakrsna

Any smokers here?

Post by rajakrsna »

If you can`t quit smoking cigarettes why not try ganja. I know of people who does not smoke cigarettes but smoke ganja. The passive smokers get a high out of it.
Om namo bagavate vasudevaya, " God is the Cause of All causes."
rajakrsna

Any smokers here?

Post by rajakrsna »

buttercup;1385596 wrote: Tried it, tried everything.

Managed to stop once for 11 months, wanted one everyday for the whole 11 months.

I had an MI 4 years ago. My cardiologist said the lining endothelium of a coronary artery in the inferior wall of my heart bled when it suffered a tear due to hypertension. The rip was caused when I lighted a stick while driving in my car. When I inhaled the smoke I started coughing. My chest tightened. There was no chest pain at all. My skin was cold and clammy. Suddenly I said I must be having a heart attack. I stopped, took my pulse and felt nothing. I rested for 15 minutes in the car parked along the road. I thought I would pass out. But I did not. I was able to find my way home appearing very drunk when my wife looked at me as having too many ice-cold San Miguel beer. I was rushed to the ER in the hospital where my son a nurse worked. An EKG was taken and it was confirmed I suffered from an acute inferior wall myocardial infarction. They gave me a streptokinase injection to dissolve the clot formed from the bleeding. I`m glad I am a doctor who saw the grim picture of what I was going through. I survive the attack. At present, I still smoke ( a green Marlboro stick). My argument with non-smokers that if I quit smoking I`ll get lung cancer instead. I was meant to die of MI I realized but escaped death mysteriously. Wherever I go death follows and yet it can not touch me unless he defeats or kills the one before me. If you saw the movie The Final Destination then perhaps you know what I mean. I can not be killed by death himself unless he kills first the one before me who also escaped death. I doubt he can do that to Balaramaji Christ Jesus.
K.Snyder

Any smokers here?

Post by K.Snyder »

rajakrsna;1387659 wrote: I had an MI 4 years ago. My cardiologist said the lining endothelium of a coronary artery in the inferior wall of my heart bled when it suffered a tear due to hypertension. The rip was caused when I lighted a stick while driving in my car. When I inhaled the smoke I started coughing. My chest tightened. There was no chest pain at all. My skin was cold and clammy. Suddenly I said I must be having a heart attack. I stopped, took my pulse and felt nothing. I rested for 15 minutes in the car parked along the road. I thought I would pass out. But I did not. I was able to find my way home appearing very drunk when my wife looked at me as having too many ice-cold San Miguel beer. I was rushed to the ER in the hospital where my son a nurse worked. An EKG was taken and it was confirmed I suffered from an acute inferior wall myocardial infarction. They gave me a streptokinase injection to dissolve the clot formed from the bleeding. I`m glad I am a doctor who saw the grim picture of what I was going through. I survive the attack. At present, I still smoke ( a green Marlboro stick). My argument with non-smokers that if I quit smoking I`ll get lung cancer instead. I was meant to die of MI I realized but escaped death mysteriously. Wherever I go death follows and yet it can not touch me unless he defeats or kills the one before me. If you saw the movie The Final Destination then perhaps you know what I mean. I can not be killed by death himself unless he kills first the one before me who also escaped death. I doubt he can do that to Balaramaji Christ Jesus.It's cute how bacteria can save ya life isn't it? Mutualism is the way two organisms of different species biologically interact in a relationship in which each individual derives a fitness benefit (i.e., increased or improved reproductive output). Mutualism (biology) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

By the way, "a green Marlboro stick", if I understand correctly, is a menthol cigarette of whichMenthol cigarettes have also been shown to inhibit nicotine metabolism, causing "systemic enhancement in exposure to nicotine".means they're far more deadly than the fundamental context of the thread even...

I do admire the old adage "if you're going to do something then do it right" though... :yh_wink
rajakrsna

Any smokers here?

Post by rajakrsna »

K.Snyder;1387676 wrote: It's cute how bacteria can save ya life isn't it? Mutualism (biology) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

By the way, "a green Marlboro stick", if I understand correctly, is a menthol cigarette of whichmeans they're far more deadly than the fundamental context of the thread even...

I do admire the old adage "if you're going to do something then do it right" though... :yh_wink

I inherited the smoking gene from my great grandfather ( grandmother`s side) who died of old age ( 103 ). My grandfather ( mother`s side ) was also a smoker who died ( 90 ) due to cerebral thrombosis. My father stopped smoking ( 65 ) when he developed symptoms of COPD. He`s still alive at 82. My two sons don`t smoke after I found out from the neighbors they smoked when I wasn`t around. I said to them, " I`d rather let you smoke with me than hid it from me. " After that lecture, I let them each ate a stick of menthol cigarette. From there they vowed never to light a cigarette even if I insist they should light one in my presence.
Kathy Ellen

Any smokers here?

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Thankfully I gave up cigs a long time ago but still miss it. I will never start again though.

Love a little, sweet tipper cigar once-in-a-while thought but don't inhale.
Wandrin

Any smokers here?

Post by Wandrin »

I smoked and quit using an electronic cigarette. My doctor suggested it after I had tried every other method. My electronic cigarette looks nothing like a cigarette, by the way. It is a box with a tip on it and a control for voltage. I can dial up the voltage to increase the volume of vapor produced in a puff. It is very easy to gradually reduce the nicotine level. My doctor had previously prescribed a nicotine inhaler, but without the vapor cloud and taste it didn't do the job for me.
rajakrsna

Any smokers here?

Post by rajakrsna »

Smoking is a cultural tradition. The red Indians in America smoke. The Chinese smoke pot long before it was introduced in America. The Hindus smoke. The Turkish smoke. So, if you were a smoker, I am glad you did not quit. For better for worse.
mandysk8581

Any smokers here?

Post by mandysk8581 »

I do not smoke but i want to try E cigarette
[Link removed by Moderator]

Return to “Healthcare”