Furious George hits back at Elton

Where our decade hasn't ended! Celebrate the Music, Culture, and Memories of our current times.
CVX

Furious George hits back at Elton

Post by CVX »

George Michael has launched a withering attack on Elton John after his fellow pop star criticised his latest album, Patience, and told him to "get out more".

Michael hit back after Sir Elton said in an interview: "George is in a strange place. There appears to be a deep-rooted unhappiness in his life."

After reading the article in Heat magazine, Michael wrote an angry letter to the editor, published in this week's edition. He writes: "Elton John knows very little about George Michael and that's a fact. Contrary to the public's impression, we have spoken rarely in the last 10 years and what would probably surprise most people is that we have never discussed my private life. Ever."

Michael says he has never been happier and that in contrast to Sir Elton, he has been open about his sexuality.

"But with Elton it was never like that," he writes. "Sadly, I was always aware that Elton's circle of friends was the busiest rumour mill in town and that respect for my private life was not exactly guaranteed.

"So, we never became genuinely close, which is very sad. And to this day, most of what Elton thinks he knows about my life is pretty much limited to the gossip he hears on the 'gay grapevine' which is, as you can imagine, lovely stuff.

"Other than that, he knows I don't like to tour, I smoke too much pot and my albums still have a habit of going to Number One. In other words, he knows as much as most of my fans. What he doesn't know is I have rarely been as happy and confident as I am today, thanks to my partner Kenny and the continued support of my fans.

"If I stay at home too much, if anything it is because I am too contented right now. I have travelled the world many times and at 41, I think I have earned the right to a quiet life, which I truly love, and maybe Elton just can't relate to that."

Michael also uses the letter to criticise Sir Elton's reliance on his back catalogue. He says: "We are totally different in that sense.

"He makes millions playing those old classics day in and day out, whereas my drive and passion is still about the future and the songs I have yet to write for the public." He also pointed out that the US royalties from Patience are going to the Elton John Aids Foundation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Find this story at http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/showbiz/a ... ?version=1

Return to “Our Current Decade”