About life after retirement...

StudentFromNorway

Post by StudentFromNorway »

Hi:)

I am a student from Norway, currently taking a subject called Social Entrepeneuring. I am not sure if you know the term, but in short it is entrepeneuring with a social value in focus.

Through this subject I take, I have taken an interest in the life after retirement. Many times I have been told about the fright of boredom after retirement, a fear of not being as important, or a wish not to retire at all. Of course, when one has worked one´s full hours for many years it is very much deserved, but what happens next? I know there must be a thousand perspectives on this, and that is exactly what I want to hear:)

Related to a project I am starting, I have a few questions I would love to get some perspectives on. There is no way I can fully understand the different aspects here on my own, still in school, so I thought best to ask:)

First, I would like to know a bit about your background, just to understand where your coming from. How old are you, how long have you been retired, if you are married, have some kind of family; those sorts of things.

Second, I am interested in your perspectives on the life after retirement.

- What do you fill your time with?

- Do you meet a lot of people/have a lot of friends?

- Do you see your family often?

- Are you bored?

- Are you lonely?

- Are you in lack of anything, maybe from government/family/work place?

Third and final, I am interested in your personality and resources.

- Do you have any hobbies, like cooking for instance?

- What do you think are your greatest strengths/resources?

- How would you like spending your days?

- What is your deepest wish?

I do not expect you to answer every question here, just got a little carried away by my own thougths. Write freely about the subject if you wish, I want to know everything you teach me:)

Thanks a lot!
Lon

Post by Lon »

StudentFromNorway;1382256 wrote: Hi:)

I am a student from Norway, currently taking a subject called Social Entrepeneuring. I am not sure if you know the term, but in short it is entrepeneuring with a social value in focus.

Through this subject I take, I have taken an interest in the life after retirement. Many times I have been told about the fright of boredom after retirement, a fear of not being as important, or a wish not to retire at all. Of course, when one has worked one´s full hours for many years it is very much deserved, but what happens next? I know there must be a thousand perspectives on this, and that is exactly what I want to hear:)

Related to a project I am starting, I have a few questions I would love to get some perspectives on. There is no way I can fully understand the different aspects here on my own, still in school, so I thought best to ask:)

First, I would like to know a bit about your background, just to understand where your coming from. How old are you, how long have you been retired, if you are married, have some kind of family; those sorts of things.

Second, I am interested in your perspectives on the life after retirement.

- What do you fill your time with?

- Do you meet a lot of people/have a lot of friends?

- Do you see your family often?

- Are you bored?

- Are you lonely?

- Are you in lack of anything, maybe from government/family/work place?

Third and final, I am interested in your personality and resources.

- Do you have any hobbies, like cooking for instance?

- What do you think are your greatest strengths/resources?

- How would you like spending your days?

- What is your deepest wish?

I do not expect you to answer every question here, just got a little carried away by my own thougths. Write freely about the subject if you wish, I want to know everything you teach me:)

Thanks a lot!

Greetings student from Norway--------- as a 77 year old very happy retiree since age 58 perhaps I qualify for your inquiry.

If you have any questions after reviewing my Blog at THOUGHTS AND TRAVELS please email me.

Your post prompted me to do a Google search on "Social Entrepeneuring" a term that I was unfamiliar with. Most interesting field of study.
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

I usually get these surveys via my telephone and I mostly just replace the receiver like this:

"Click!"
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
StudentFromNorway

Post by StudentFromNorway »

Thank you Lon, I will take a look at your blog!

I'm sorry if this seems like a questionaire of some kind, but I just wrote some questions to get you thinking. If you don't have any perspectives to share, that's perfectively fine. I just want you to know that this is not something I do to bother you, but to understand, and maybe do someone some good eventually:)
Lon

Post by Lon »

StudentFromNorway;1382331 wrote: Thank you Lon, I will take a look at your blog!

I'm sorry if this seems like a questionaire of some kind, but I just wrote some questions to get you thinking. If you don't have any perspectives to share, that's perfectively fine. I just want you to know that this is not something I do to bother you, but to understand, and maybe do someone some good eventually:)

No apology needed-------student research is important.

I know there are many retirees that have difficulty adjusting to retirement and I suspect with some it may be because they feel they have lost their identity. They are no longer John Smith the "bank manager", Richard Smith the "house painter" etc.

Their previous profession, job or career defined who they are and now they no longer have that identity. People with a burning curiosity and broad interests adjust better to retirement I suspect and are able to forget their past career identity and create a new one. Just my thinking.

Return to “Retirement Activities”