Why Tweet?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
koan

Why Tweet?

Post by koan »

I'm a facebook user and I get facebook, there are a few good uses for it. Twitter? I have never been able to figure out what the appeal is. The only thing I can think of is the possibility that by hash tagging something you could be part of an instant global trend. Is that right?

Do you tweet?
Snooz

Why Tweet?

Post by Snooz »

I don't get it either. I guess if someone wants to virtual stalk a celebrity and know what s/he's doing all day, that would work but I really don't care enough about anyone to have the desire to follow their inane tweets.
Galbally

Why Tweet?

Post by Galbally »

No, me neither, could never figure out the appeal of it; though I did set up an account, and followed the first person who popped up on the suggestions box, which was Levar Burton, who played a character in Star Trek, The Next Generation called Geordie La Forge, which reminds me, I better check in and see how he is doing. Good old Levar. :wah:
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
koan

Why Tweet?

Post by koan »

I first followed Kevin Smith, as a renegade, wannabe indie film maker. I tweeted nothing. Within an hour I had two people "following" me and I quit, thinking it was a stalker site.
Accountable

Why Tweet?

Post by Accountable »

http://comedians.jokes.com/tom-papa/vid ... a---myface

Oh well, apparently I'm not allowed to delete posts anymore so I'll leave it, even though it's off-topic.

..... :thinking: Can any Twitter discussion be ON-topic, really?
tabby

Why Tweet?

Post by tabby »

I registered an account a few years ago just to check it out but after a few visits it just didn't "grab" me with interest so although the account remains, it's been inactive for quite some time. I see links and references to Twitter on many other sites so I'm assuming it's still immensely popular.
Snooz

Why Tweet?

Post by Snooz »

I should amend my previous, cranky comment. I have read some entertaining tweets that were reposted because of that fact... "Sh*t My Dad Says" is usually very funny and worth following. There were a few more I don't recall but they do exist. It's just the celebrity ones that tell you what they're doing every 15 minutes that annoy me.
Richard Bell

Why Tweet?

Post by Richard Bell »

I use Facebook daily.Started a Twitter account a couple of weeks ago to follow my local theatre group of which I'm a member, and to follow a good friend of mine who resides in a foreign country.

So far, I can't see anything useful about Twitter. I can communicate with my group and my friend with Facebook. Twitter doesn't seem to add any value for me.

Having said that, I think it proved it's worth during the Arab Spring, the uprisings in Iran, and most recently, Syria. If you live in a dictatorship, Twitter is a good way to get uncensored messages out to the world. For those of us fortunate to live in democracies, it seems to me to be a mediocre social messaging tool.
Accountable

Why Tweet?

Post by Accountable »

Twit-ter n. 1. One who twits.

Twit is also a noun. :yh_wink
WonderWendy3

Why Tweet?

Post by WonderWendy3 »

I have had a Twitter account for probably a good 3-4 years and hardly ever use it. I love facebook and woman enough to admit it...but just can't get into twitter at all.
koan

Why Tweet?

Post by koan »

I seem to recall that Twitter only really took off when celebrities started using it. I can see why celebrities would prefer a system that doesn't allow private messages. My guess is that people got tired of waiting for The Enquirer or People magazine to tell them what the stars were up to.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Why Tweet?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

koan;1382280 wrote: I seem to recall that Twitter only really took off when celebrities started using it. I can see why celebrities would prefer a system that doesn't allow private messages. My guess is that people got tired of waiting for The Enquirer or People magazine to tell them what the stars were up to.

Who cares?
koan

Why Tweet?

Post by koan »

I don't think most FGers care but, based on publication sales, a lot of other people do. I'm investigating why as part of another project that has to do with death denial.
Chloe_88

Why Tweet?

Post by Chloe_88 »

finally a couple of people who don't see the point of twitter!

I set up an account, took one look, signed out and never been on there since. It's just a bit to random for me and i just don't see the point. I do use facebook, mainly to keep in touch with my family in England and Ireland.
Oscar Namechange

Why Tweet?

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I follow many people of Interest to me on Twitter. Certain politicians but In the main, race horse trainers. What they tweet on a daily basis can give you far more Insight Into how a horse Is going to run In the next race than any sports colomn In a newspaper.

For example, I was absolutely glued to Paul Nicholls twitter page when last year one of my favourite racehorses 'Tricky Trickster' fell and broke his neck. I really like the fact that I could go there every day to read updates on his recovery, treatment and progress. For those reasons I find It Informative and usefull but I certainly have no desire to read what Z list celebs had for breakfast.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon

Return to “General Chit Chat”