Tobacco Smoke Enema

jones jones

Tobacco Smoke Enema

Post by jones jones »

The tobacco enema was used between 1780-1810, to infuse tobacco smoke into a patient’s rectum for various medical purposes, primarily the resuscitation of drowning victims. A rectal tube inserted into the anus was connected to a fumigator and bellows that forced the smoke towards the rectum. The warmth of the smoke was thought to promote respiration, but doubts about the credibility of tobacco enemas led to the popular phrase “blow smoke up one’s ass.”

(See Image In First Reply)
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
jones jones

Tobacco Smoke Enema

Post by jones jones »

"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
Bruv

Tobacco Smoke Enema

Post by Bruv »

I must allow myself only one JJ post per day.............I am glad it was this one today.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Snooz

Tobacco Smoke Enema

Post by Snooz »

How could they possibly think that would help a drowning victim!?!
Bryn Mawr

Tobacco Smoke Enema

Post by Bryn Mawr »

SnoozeAgain;1381600 wrote: How could they possibly think that would help a drowning victim!?!

They saw that we were drowning under the weight of politicians with hot air coming out so they thought that if they pushed the hot air back in it would have to help :wah:
rajakrsna

Tobacco Smoke Enema

Post by rajakrsna »

There is nothing in the history books to explain when or how the tradition arose for young people, including children, to be introduced to their first cigarette following prayers in the Crkva Gospe Kruvenice each year on February 2nd. Non-smokers attending the ceremony were also expected to take a puff.

Smoking, a Catholic tradition?
Om namo bagavate vasudevaya, " God is the Cause of All causes."

Return to “Health and Drug Concerns”