Zone One

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
The Rob

Zone One

Post by The Rob »

Zombies are all the rage these days. For anyone who enjoys this sort of thing, Colson Whitehead's Zone One is a must read. Possibly the most engaging novel featuring ravenous revenant hordes I've read (although I have yet to read the popular World War Z and so we'll see if it maintains the top spot). Take a bite, see if it suits your tastes. I'll be looking for Whitehead's other novels.
Bryn Mawr

Zone One

Post by Bryn Mawr »

The Rob;1381533 wrote: Zombies are all the rage these days. For anyone who enjoys this sort of thing, Colson Whitehead's Zone One is a must read. Possibly the most engaging novel featuring ravenous revenant hordes I've read (although I have yet to read the popular World War Z and so we'll see if it maintains the top spot). Take a bite, see if it suits your tastes. I'll be looking for Whitehead's other novels.

Certainly a very fine write up here :-

Zone One by Colson Whitehead

I like the reviewer's take on the literary divide.
Snooz

Zone One

Post by Snooz »

World War Z was a blast! I've gotten a rather short attention span as I've aged but it had me glued to my Kindle. I'll have to check this one out.
koan

Zone One

Post by koan »

I really enjoyed Zombieland. Might check this one out as a much needed break.

I think the attraction to zombie stories right now relates to a subconscious feeling that we have all become such creatures in relation to the current social structures.
Snooz

Zone One

Post by Snooz »

Zombieland had the best cameo in recent memory.
koan

Zone One

Post by koan »

If anyone were to survive that you'd think it would be Bill Murray.

I enjoyed the film but didn't realize how impressed I was until I left the theatre and fully expected to encounter zombies outside.
The Rob

Zone One

Post by The Rob »

koan;1381595 wrote: I really enjoyed Zombieland. Might check this one out as a much needed break.

I think the attraction to zombie stories right now relates to a subconscious feeling that we have all become such creatures in relation to the current social structures.

Romero's original subtext implied rampant consumerism, but certainly it can be applied a number of ways. Single-minded purpose is a scary thing, as evidenced by the actions of fundamentalists the world over (and no nation immune).

Return to “The Library”