Consider If You Would, The Humble Dragonfly.

jones jones

Post by jones jones »

We’ve all seem them at one time or another, hovering above a pond like beautiful mini-helicopters. Someone is bound to cry out: “Oh look, a dragonfly! Isn’t it pretty?”

Dragonflies spend most of their short lives as nymphs under water. During this time which can last up to three years, they are very ugly predators, hunting down and devouring other insect larvae, tadpoles and even small fish.

Then one day a miracle occurs. In the heat of the day the underwater nymph climbs out the water, dries and its crumpled wings unfold transforming it into a beautiful dragonfly! As long as the sun is shining, it swoops, turns and zooms … sometimes like a small aeroplane then as a helicopter, but never ever walking.

Its lifespan allows it only enough time to mature and mate before the beautiful, glittering wings once again cease as the first cold of autumn kills it.

Is there perhaps a lesson to be learned from the dragonfly?

What do you think?
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

jones jones;1380851 wrote:

Is there perhaps a lesson to be learned from the dragonfly?

What do you think?

Eating a fresh water diet turns you into a nicer person ?

Breaking out of your small town world makes you soar to new heights ?

Don't be taken in by outward appearance...........every beautiful being has an evil past ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

Or perhaps we could all change if we wanted to ...
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Mating with the opposite sex just may kill you?
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

jones jones;1380854 wrote: Or perhaps we could all change if we wanted to ...
Does the Dragonfly really want to change ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Gentle Brother

Post by Gentle Brother »

A lovely post!

I think dragonflies are amazing. I often have them visit my garden. I can only stand and marvel at their grace and beauty.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Growing up in a rather dry area, I had never seen a dragonfly until I went to Biloxi Mississippi for tech school in the military. Dragonflies are very loud, don't hesitate to fly right past your nose and they're BIG!... it took a native Sippian to assure me they didn't sting. I had been dodging and weaving trying to get away from them. :wah::o
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

SnoozeAgain;1380888 wrote: Growing up in a rather dry area, I had never seen a dragonfly until I went to Biloxi Mississippi for tech school in the military. Dragonflies are very loud, don't hesitate to fly right past your nose and they're BIG!... it took a native Sippian to assure me they didn't sting. I had been dodging and weaving trying to get away from them. :wah::o

Dragonflies have been around for over 300 million years and in prehistoric times were as big as a hawk with a wingspan of about 30 inches!

Return to “Philosophy”