Wild, windy and wet!

What's the weather like today?
Clodhopper

Wild, windy and wet!

Post by Clodhopper »

No, I'm not talking about the state of my insides after the Christmas break, but the weather. Have been woken all through the night by the wind howling round the house

Normally I'm very sheltered here in the Thames Valley, so if I'm noticing it it's probably very wild further north and west...just hoping Betty and gmc haven't been blown into the North Sea...
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Betty Boop

Wild, windy and wet!

Post by Betty Boop »

Wild here too, although I'm sure we've had worse lol. First day back at school for the

middle child too, so the school run wasn't nice, branches down all along the route I take.
Clodhopper

Wild, windy and wet!

Post by Clodhopper »

Beaufort Scale 8:Some twigs broken from trees. Cars veer on road. Progress on foot is seriously impeded.

Beaufort Scale 9: Some branches break off trees, and some small trees blow over. Construction/temporary signs and barricades blow over.

Pretty rough then!

Must admit I'd be tempted to go and look - pretty dramatic with the waves crashing in on those Cornish coves and headlands, and the foam being blown inland up the coombes.

gmc

Wild, windy and wet!

Post by gmc »

You had some gentle breezes then did you? Forth, tay, and kingston bridges closed to all traffic due to high winds is not an announcement I have heard before. My front gate landed on the front garden some of my neighbours don't have any fences left and the local shopping centre lost it's roof. Course we all know global warming is just a theory put about to scare people unnecessarily.
Bruv

Wild, windy and wet!

Post by Bruv »

The QE Bridge at the Dartford crossing was shut too..........and at least one death due to a falling trees.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Clodhopper

Wild, windy and wet!

Post by Clodhopper »

Shame we don't have any Irish posters these days - they were slap bang in the path of it and I imagine Ulster and Donegal took a hammering.

Still, glad everyone's ok, and gmc no doubt having a happy morning putting back his garden gate! ;)

Snooz

Wild, windy and wet!

Post by Snooz »

There was a BCC slide show of Scottish locations affected by the wind... brick walls blown over onto parked cars and a lot of chimneys and roofs gone. Looked more like earthquake damage in some cases.
Betty Boop

Wild, windy and wet!

Post by Betty Boop »

gmc;1380248 wrote: You had some gentle breezes then did you? Forth, tay, and kingston bridges closed to all traffic due to high winds is not an announcement I have heard before. My front gate landed on the front garden some of my neighbours don't have any fences left and the local shopping centre lost it's roof. Course we all know global warming is just a theory put about to scare people unnecessarily.

To be honest I didn't think it was that severe here but maybe I was sheltered from this one. I know power lines came down on the railway lines 30 miles away from here but nothing major really happened down this far. All the fishing boats were in and there was a tanker sheltering in the bay, just seemed like a normal bout of wintry blustery weather to me.
Clodhopper

Wild, windy and wet!

Post by Clodhopper »

To be honest I didn't think it was that severe here but maybe I was sheltered from this one. I know power lines came down on the railway lines 30 miles away from here but nothing major really happened down this far. All the fishing boats were in and there was a tanker sheltering in the bay, just seemed like a normal bout of wintry blustery weather to me.

I think you got the southern edge of it and gmc the full force. As I said, normally my place is very sheltered so it's unusual for me to be woken several times during the night by the wind. That's what made me think this storm was quite a biggie!

Oscar Namechange

Wild, windy and wet!

Post by Oscar Namechange »

SnoozeAgain;1380333 wrote: There was a BCC slide show of Scottish locations affected by the wind... brick walls blown over onto parked cars and a lot of chimneys and roofs gone. Looked more like earthquake damage in some cases. No that's just a Scottish Pub after a Stag night.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Oscar Namechange

Wild, windy and wet!

I have just been out to feed my Foxes, and It's very, very windy out there.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Clodhopper

Wild, windy and wet!

Post by Clodhopper »

It's very, very windy out there.

It's a bit weird here: pretty calm on the whole and then you hear a gust coming from some way off, it hits you hard, and then it's calm again. Very odd. I'm guessing that most of the wind is going over us - the clouds are moving quite fast.

Betty Boop

Wild, windy and wet!

Post by Betty Boop »

It's been pretty rough here overnight still quite a wind up now, it's a cold North Easterly one too. Two ships sheltered in the bay overnight so it must have been rough out there.
Clodhopper

Wild, windy and wet!

Post by Clodhopper »

I would imagine a North Easter would make a real mess of the Channel, blowing across and against the general westerly direction of the swell. It's a North Wester here still. I get a real sense of the size and speed of the low pressure systems, hearing you talk of the way the wind has swung much further round in Cornwall than it has yet over here a few hundred miles East of you. :)

Betty Boop

Wild, windy and wet!

Post by Betty Boop »

Clodhopper;1380433 wrote: I would imagine a North Easter would make a real mess of the Channel, blowing across and against the general westerly direction of the swell. It's a North Wester here still. I get a real sense of the size and speed of the low pressure systems, hearing you talk of the way the wind has swung much further round in Cornwall than it has yet over here a few hundred miles East of you. :)

I did a guess on direction by glancing at a windmill at the local college, I might have got it wrong :wah:

The BBC weather indeed shows it at north westerly so I must be wrong:o
Clodhopper

Wild, windy and wet!

Post by Clodhopper »

Well, so much for my impressions!:wah::wah::wah:

gmc

Wild, windy and wet!

Post by gmc »

There are fallen trees all over the place - there's been torrential rain for several days so the ground is too soft to hold the trees in place. One stand of conifers I walk past with the dog - last gale one tree got blown across the path - this time it's as if someone took a giant hand and just flattened everything, for about 100yrds the path is blocked by fallen trees there's a good half mile of forest just pushed over . The local shopping centre had part of it's roof ripped off as did several of the superstores it wasn't just gusts of over 100mph the wind just didn't die away. We get gales at this time of year this is a bit different
fuzzywuzzy

Wild, windy and wet!

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Going on the thread title i thought you'd used my toilet. nevermind . Melbourne had a huricane a few weeks back does that count?
Oscar Namechange

Wild, windy and wet!

I got a blast up my Bristol Channel tonight.
fuzzywuzzy

Wild, windy and wet!

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

You really have to stop seeing that doctor . lol lol he'll do you an injury.
Clodhopper

Wild, windy and wet!

Post by Clodhopper »

There are fallen trees all over the place - there's been torrential rain for several days so the ground is too soft to hold the trees in place. One stand of conifers I walk past with the dog - last gale one tree got blown across the path - this time it's as if someone took a giant hand and just flattened everything, for about 100yrds the path is blocked by fallen trees there's a good half mile of forest just pushed over . The local shopping centre had part of it's roof ripped off as did several of the superstores it wasn't just gusts of over 100mph the wind just didn't die away. We get gales at this time of year this is a bit different

Hadn't realised it was that bad. Only thing I can recall that matches your description is the Hurricane that came up Channel in the '80's, and I know you are more used to big wind up north, so to have you shocked is really something.

Fuzzy: Are hurricanes something you expect from time to time in Melbourne?

Bryn Mawr

Wild, windy and wet!

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Clodhopper;1380488 wrote: Hadn't realised it was that bad. Only thing I can recall that matches your description is the Hurricane that came up Channel in the '80's, and I know you are more used to big wind up north, so to have you shocked is really something.

Hurricane Charlie? I was camping on top of Beachy Head during that one :-)
fuzzywuzzy

Wild, windy and wet!

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Clodhopper;1380488 wrote: Hadn't realised it was that bad. Only thing I can recall that matches your description is the Hurricane that came up Channel in the '80's, and I know you are more used to big wind up north, so to have you shocked is really something.

it's new to us ...we had a southern cyclone a few years back where I live and that happens from time to time ..but a hurricane??? that's really weird . ask wendy she saw the damage . twas very strange .

Return to “Weather Station”