Black-Eyed Peas or Hopping John, anyone?

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
tabby

Post by tabby »

Am I the only one here who will be eating either black-eyed peas or hopping john on this first day of the new year?? I know it's a regional tradition but sometimes variations exist elsewhere. Any traditional New Years Day dishes in your part of the world?

jones jones

Post by jones jones »

tabby;1380092 wrote: Am I the only one here who will be eating either black-eyed peas or hopping john on this first day of the new year?? I know it's a regional tradition but sometimes variations exist elsewhere. Any traditional New Years Day dishes in your part of the world?

Well there's haggis (YUCK!) in Scotland but mostly I guess most earthlings just eat stuff like they did yesterday. So black eyes peas I know ... Fergie is cayoooot ... but what is "hopping John?"
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
tabby

Post by tabby »

Hopping John is a southern dish associated with good luck. Wikipedia explains it better than I can ~~~~~> Hoppin' John - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's really just black eye peas gone fancy ... doctored up with seasonings, spices and rice ... it's good stuff!

Is it possible that bad luck won't dog me throughout 2012 if I don't have some today? Possibly but it's not a chance I'm willing to take ... after all, between the dire predictions of dead Mayans and the upcoming presidential election, I'm going to need all the help I can get! :yh_wink
jones jones

Post by jones jones »

"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

My family is quite diverse in their New Year Breakfast.

I personally like Pain Perdu, made with all the bread left over from December.

My Alabama Grandparents did this. Somehow it was "bad luck" to have bread leftover from the year before.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Lady J

Post by Lady J »

tabby;1380107 wrote: Hopping John is a southern dish associated with good luck. Wikipedia explains it better than I can ~~~~~> Hoppin' John - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's really just black eye peas gone fancy ... doctored up with seasonings, spices and rice ... it's good stuff!

Is it possible that bad luck won't dog me throughout 2012 if I don't have some today? Possibly but it's not a chance I'm willing to take ... after all, between the dire predictions of dead Mayans and the upcoming presidential election, I'm going to need all the help I can get! :yh_wink

Tabby....I don't think the legumes are going to help with the election. There will always be a lot of hot air whether you eat them or not! But I do understand where you are coming from.

"Legumes including beans, peas, and lentils are also symbolic of money."

Read More Lucky Foods for the New Year New Year's Day at Epicurious.com

Best of 2012 and I hope you enjoy your supper..:D

Lady J
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

I thought both were bands/musicians when I saw the thread first.

Shows how much I know...

JJ: Cartoon made me laugh:)

Haggis, tatties and neeps. The Scots try to put you off it so they can keep it all for themselves. There is a slight concern that the haggis wells in the North Sea have passed Peak Haggis with potentially disastrous shortages predicted in the next 20 years.

There's also the problem of too much felling in the Neep plantations of Sutherland. Where once the green tops of neeps waved in the breeze from coast to coast, now only a few islands on lochs have the true, original neep. Most are now imported from Sweden. It's not the same.:(

And to top it all, the tatties have been overfished. Fine mesh nets have ensured even the smallest tatties are taken, before they've even had a chance to breed. Nowadays you'll be lucky to see a single one bobbing in the waves off the Scottish coast. Honest.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."

Return to “The Kitchen”