Happy Thanksgiving but only to Americans

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Happy Thanksgiving but only to Americans because who else has anything to be thankful for.
I AM AWESOME MAN
koan

Post by koan »

I'm thankful you're thankful. :) Because the alternatives are much worse.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Nomad;1376771 wrote: Happy Thanksgiving but only to Americans because who else has anything to be thankful for.

May your Thanksgiving be fruitful and happy.

Good to see you Nomad :-6
cars

Post by cars »

Hi Nomad, enjoy the day to the fullest! Great to see you. Eat, Drink, & be Merry, and not necessarily in the order. :D
Cars :)
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

who else has anything to be thankful for.

Ummmm.......

No. No. I must put down the loaded sentence. Step away from the keyboard with my hands in the air... ;)
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
gmc

Post by gmc »

Some of us can be thankful we're not american:D I've just come back from a visit to my NHS dentist where I received two fillings and paid the maximum charge of £38 since i am not an OAP or unemployed.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Americans never get cavities.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

SnoozeAgain;1376801 wrote: Americans never get cavities.

Nope, in Texas they start out as canyons and get bigger :-)
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Happy Thanksgiving Nomad.

How about those 49ers...!!!

Enjoy the Holiday

Patsy
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Little-one cooked again this year -

Turkey, corn, green beans, baked potatoes, stuffing, cheesy garlic biscuits and homemade turkey gravy.:guitarist:guitarist

She's made chocolate pie and blueberry pie for dessert this year, but we have to wait for a bit...

Her dad is already asleep on our couch...:wah:
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

;)

Attached files
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
tabby

Post by tabby »

I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist! I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving Day! :yh_wink:
Omni_Skittles

Post by Omni_Skittles »

HA! i used to send mass texts to everyone and forgot i had canadian friends.... i just can't imagine life without thanksgiving... how do you know when to put christmas out???
Smoke signals ftw!
gmc

Post by gmc »

tabby;1376825 wrote:

I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist! I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving Day! :yh_wink:

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

You might have to explain the humour to some of your countrymen.
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

Happy Thanksgiving Nomad....and I am thankful for our "non-american" friends!! :) Just sayin'
gmc

Post by gmc »

WonderWendy3;1376964 wrote: Happy Thanksgiving Nomad....and I am thankful for our "non-american" friends!! :) Just sayin'

Well we appreciate the turkey for christmas lunch. Can't think what we used to do before that.
spot

Post by spot »

Odd things, turkeys. If you want a big bird get an ostrich. If you want flavour stew a hen; all this roasting nonsense is just a waste of good food.

I've never Thanksgiven though I've been roped into the occasional involuntary Christmas. I have yet to see or hear of a respectful limit on the calories presented to each participant. Maybe 1200 from start to finish would be rational. The 2000+ that people work their way through is sheer abuse.

eta: Google tells me "the average American will consume more than 4500 calories and 229 grams of fat on Thanksgiving Day alone, according to the Caloric Control Council". All I can ask really is "why?".

That's an *average*? In which case it includes the children? Good lord.

Were I to consume 4500 calories and 229 grams of fat in a single day I'd feel deservedly unwell.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
tabby

Post by tabby »

I'm not sure who this imaginary composite American is but I would guess that most people eat as sensibly or not sensibly on Thanksgiving Day as they do on any other given day.

If a person doesn't normally eat nutritious foods and instead leans towards fatty and/or salty food, then they probably do the same on Thanksgiving. I think most people these days are probably mindful of ingredients and for reasons of either health or simply wanting to watch their weight will modify a favorite old family recipe to make it healthier fare IF they do that sort of thing normally. I doubt habits change too much on Thanksgiving Day but even if they do, I say GOOD.

For myself, I'm very careful with ingredients but there's only only so much you can do to make some dishes "healthful". And you know what? It's kinda fun to throw caution to the wind and eat it anyway in the spirit of the holiday which tells me to be grateful for the bounty and the privilege of having so much food in front of me. The holiday isn't about a Spartan meal with everyone grimacing and feeling guilty for eating rich food ... save that for the remaining 364 days of the year!

spot

Post by spot »

tabby;1376986 wrote: I'm not sure who this imaginary composite American is but I would guess that most people eat as sensibly or not sensibly on Thanksgiving Day as they do on any other given day.Forgive me if I doubt what you write. It seems blatant, from a distance, that the Thanksgiving Dinner with a groaning table and an excess of food is an archetype depicted for as long as I've been alive.

As for the "imaginary composite American", he's a mathematical concept. Rather than listing the consumption of every American on Thanksgiving Day, the total consumed is added together and divided by the number of participants. It's easier to grasp than a 300 million long tabulation of non-imaginary non-composite Americans.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

I sent half of the leftovers up to her dads house friday evening plus all desserts.

Then I made turkey and dumplings last night- I LOVE leftover days!!!
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

tabby

Post by tabby »

spot;1376987 wrote: Forgive me if I doubt what you write. It seems blatant, from a distance, that the Thanksgiving Dinner with a groaning table and an excess of food is an archetype depicted for as long as I've been alive.

As for the "imaginary composite American", he's a mathematical concept. Rather than listing the consumption of every American on Thanksgiving Day, the total consumed is added together and divided by the number of participants. It's easier to grasp than a 300 million long tabulation of non-imaginary non-composite Americans.

Archetype or stereotype? I wouldn't put too much faith in mathematical concepts or in any online facts and surveys. And anyway, even if it were true, who cares? Hopefully we all enjoyed our Thanksgiving meal ... period! If Mr. Composite needed Alka-Seltzer afterwards, then good, it tells me Mrs. Composite is a good cook!

So you can plan ahead with your facts and figures, I need to know how many deviled eggs I can eat at Christmas before I humiliate my fellow Americans. Damn those things are good and I can tell you now, if someone brings a plate, I'm gonna sock into them. I haven't had any since last Christmas and I hope I don't upset the world balance by enjoying a few!
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

I spent three days eating a four pound apple/cranberry/pecan pie and not much else. And it was WONDERFUL.
tabby

Post by tabby »

SnoozeAgain;1376990 wrote: I spent three days eating a four pound apple/cranberry/pecan pie and not much else. And it was WONDERFUL.

You go, girl!! :yh_wink

Me after my annual 3 deviled eggs ~~~~~> :yh_pig
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

America is beset by a major dis-ease and that's consumption, and it's in large part cultural. With food our overconsumption has us leading the planet in obesity, with consumerism, we lead the planet in embarrassing spectacles such as we've been witnessing and commenting on concerning Black Friday.

America really does need to take a second look at these cultural traditions if we ever wish to get either under control as a nation. Magic pills aren't coming for the obesity problem because the pharmaceutical industry is not going to go to war against the food industry nor will our legislators let that war occur. It's completely up to the American people to overcome the trends set by commercial interests.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

You're right, I should only have eaten half the pie.
tabby

Post by tabby »

Ahso!;1376994 wrote: America is beset by a major dis-ease and that's consumption, and it's in large part cultural. With food our overconsumption has us leading the planet in obesity, with consumerism, we lead the planet in embarrassing spectacles such as we've been witnessing and commenting on concerning Black Friday.

America really does need to take a second look at these cultural traditions if we ever wish to get either under control as a nation. Magic pills aren't coming for the obesity problem because the pharmaceutical industry is not going to go to war against the food industry nor will our legislators let that war occur. It's completely up to the American people to overcome the trends set by commercial interests.

lol ... I knew my three eggs would tip the balance. I'm not a mass consumer, I don't shop at WalMart, I don't pepperspray people in public (or private!), I'm not overweight ... I am the what percent?
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

tabby;1376998 wrote: lol ... I knew my three eggs would tip the balance. I'm not a mass consumer, I don't shop at WalMart, I don't pepperspray people in public (or private!), I'm not overweight ... I am the what percent? Who said I was specifically talking to you? Eat all the eggs you want, I couldn't care less.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

SnoozeAgain;1376997 wrote: You're right, I should only have eaten half the pie.Yours is a very small world, isn't it? (Rhetorical)

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Post by spot »

tabby;1376989 wrote: Archetype or stereotype?I choose my words with care and archetype is exactly what I meant. Leaving inexplicit the grotesque over-consumption of which Thanksgiving is the archetype was polite reticence on my part. I don't think it really needed to be put in black and white, it was pretty obvious. As a fore-runner of the modern American tendency it goes back a long way.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Ahso!;1377001 wrote: Yours is a very small world, isn't it? (Rhetorical)

Yes and it's very warm and cozy in here.
tabby

Post by tabby »

spot;1377006 wrote: I choose my words with care and archetype is exactly what I meant. Leaving inexplicit the grotesque over-consumption of which Thanksgiving is the archetype was polite reticence on my part. I don't think it really needed to be put in black and white, it was pretty obvious. As a fore-runner of the modern American tendency it goes back a long way.

lol ... I didn't mean to insult you! I was just having a little fun this morning, I don't know what got into me! I'm gonna go watch the Hitler clip again, enjoy the sophomoric humor and stay out of trouble!
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

tabby;1377013 wrote: lol ... I didn't mean to insult you! I was just having a little fun this morning, I don't know what got into me! I'm gonna go watch the Hitler clip again, enjoy the sophomoric humor and stay out of trouble!

I doubt he felt insulted, spot always sounds huffy like that.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Half way through winter our ancestors would sit down and have a feast at the turn of the year - when the nights started getting shorter - and they knew they were going to survive until spring, the using up the last of all they had stored before it went off and slaughtering the last of the animals they had kept alive till this point. I've always thought you need to live in a northern clime to appreciate that sense of release and well being you get when winter starts to end. It's a pagan tradition the christians could not stamp out and they ended up hijacking as they did all the easter festivals. There is an ancient stone circle near me on the top of a hill, I sometimes go up on new years eve. On a clear moonlit night (which ir very seldom is) if it wasn't for all the lights from the towns and the noise of the traffic you could almost imagine yourself back in the stone age. Honour your ancestors stuff your faces and have a good party at Christmas and new year. That's what we do anyway.

Thanksgiving is a funny american custom, eat drink and be merry and as you think of the rest of us us sitting down to our tofu and nut salad just remember most of us have only the vaguest notion of when thanksgiving is in the first place, don't actually care that much, and console yourself that turkey is one of the leaner meats.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

gmc;1377025 wrote: Half way through winter our ancestors would sit down and have a feast at the turn of the year - when the nights started getting shorter - and they knew they were going to survive until spring, the using up the last of all they had stored before it went off and slaughtering the last of the animals they had kept alive till this point. I've always thought you need to live in a northern clime to appreciate that sense of release and well being you get when winter starts to end. It's a pagan tradition the christians could not stamp out and they ended up hijacking as they did all the easter festivals. There is an ancient stone circle near me on the top of a hill, I sometimes go up on new years eve. On a clear moonlit night (which ir very seldom is) if it wasn't for all the lights from the towns and the noise of the traffic you could almost imagine yourself back in the stone age. Honour your ancestors stuff your faces and have a good party at Christmas and new year. That's what we do anyway.

Thanksgiving is a funny american custom, eat drink and be merry and as you think of the rest of us us sitting down to our tofu and nut salad just remember most of us have only the vaguest notion of when thanksgiving is in the first place, don't actually care that much, and console yourself that turkey is one of the leaner meats.

Why does America think they Invented everything?

What do they think Harvest festival Is here? Probably nver have heard of It.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Oscar, are you actually aware of the history behind Thanksgiving Day? This wasn't something we invented so we could steal one of "your" festivals.
Oscar Namechange

SnoozeAgain;1377030 wrote: Oscar, are you actually aware of the history behind Thanksgiving Day? This wasn't something we invented so we could steal one of "your" festivals.

Yeah you did. you stole It :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
spot

Post by spot »

I'd point out that those who first celebrated Thanksgiving in America were all British, too.
Oscar Namechange

So Yes, Snoozy pops I do know the history behind Thanksgiving an the fact that It came from the British settlers .... so ner !!!!
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I have a friend who came back from Iraq awhile ago . He had an American friend while he was their (a best friend sort of thing while he was with a particular Unit.) Because Australians are considered mad anyway, he was a the only one who got away with calling this friend nigga. They'd meet up after some time away on missions etc and when they would meet up Daz would shout out HEY NIGGA.....and then the explaining would be done as why a white would get away with this surrounded by a group of black men with heavy weaponery.

Well every thanksgiving Daz is sent a thanksgiving card from niggas wife and three young children who wont have dad home ever again. Nigga died after two 16 year old boys opened up on them. Daz of course shot at least one of them in return fire.

Not only is thanksgiving a sad time for more and more Americans but it is a sad time for people in other lands as well.

I'm thankful I don't have blood on my hands like the American government.
Oscar Namechange

fuzzywuzzy;1377037 wrote: I have a friend who came back from Iraq awhile ago . He had an American friend while he was their (a best friend sort of thing while he was with a particular Unit.) Because Australians are considered mad anyway, he was a the only one who got away with calling this friend nigga. They'd meet up after some time away on missions etc and when they would meet up Daz would shout out HEY NIGGA.....and then the explaining would be done as why a white would get away with this surrounded by a group of black men with heavy weaponery.

Well every thanksgiving Daz is sent a thanksgiving card from niggas wife and three young children who wont have dad home ever again. Nigga died after two 16 year old boys opened up on them. Daz of course shot at least one of them in return fire.

Not only is thanksgiving a sad time for more and more Americans but it is a sad time for people in other lands as well.

I'm thankful I don't have blood on my hands like the American government.

There were 2,000 Australian troops In Iraq until 2009
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

SnoozeAgain;1376990 wrote: I spent three days eating a four pound apple/cranberry/pecan pie and not much else. And it was WONDERFUL.

That's why I had to send the desserts to her dads house.

We did make a cold sweet for the meal. It was red seedless grapes, pecans, sour creme and brown sugar. You just mix them up and set in the fridge overnight. They'd served it at this wine tasting thing I went to last month and it seemed like something littleone could handle.

It's really good!

spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1377038 wrote: There were 2,000 Australian troops In Iraq until 2009

Fuzz's entire story relied on that fact, surely.

The US would have "liberated" Iraq regardless of Australian participation. I'm quite sure the Australians wouldn't have gone there on their own. Hence whose hands the blood is on.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Nomie, Nomie I miss you :( I hope you had a great "Thanksgiving" I did .. :)
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Oscar Namechange

CARLA;1377085 wrote: Nomie, Nomie I miss you :( I hope you had a great "Thanksgiving" I did .. :) I'm just about to write something asinine and rude on his facebook wall.... will send your love.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Cool..!! thanks Oscar..
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Return to “General Chit Chat”