American Soccer/European Football

Discuss all types of sports.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

K.Snyder;1353917 wrote: Dempsey had a chance to set himself up on a pedestal in Fulham history and, while I like the "chap", he failed... Making that pk and beating Chelsea would have been a moment Fulham would never forget...So disheartening...

At the end of the day Murphy would have slotted it home, I'm torn...Completely torn as A Fulham supporter and it's not a matter of who was taken down in the box but for the outcome of the team...

Did he deserve to take the penalty? Yes

Did he deserve to take the penalty above Murphy? No

None the less, good result,.....I suppose

It was a dismal performance by us (Chelsea) Our ability to pass the ball and keep posession for any length of time seems to have eluded us. Our two new signings were poles apart. Torres will need a game or two to regain his confidence but David Luiz our new central defender was our best player. The rest have completely lost their way

As far as Dempsey taking the penalty was concerned. I dont think it was a bad choice. It wasn't a great penalty for sure but Murphy was having a nightmare of a game. He gave the ball away so many times, the Fulham supporters were wondering if he had a blue shirt on. Theres never any pressure on the goalkeeper so if he goes the right way - usually by luck rather than judgement - then the penalty taker always looks foolish. Even Messi, the greatest player around today, misses penalties (and I've seen him put a penalty over the bar and into row z) so don't be too harsh

Arsenal's performance against Barca last night was magnificent. There aren't many teams in the world who can match Barca for "total football". For me the best player on the pitch was Jack Wilshere, a 19 year old English player with bucket loads of technical ability and spadeloads of confidence. He was outstanding. He's gonna be the heart of our next world cup team for sure
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Snowfire;1353936 wrote: It was a dismal performance by us (Chelsea) Our ability to pass the ball and keep posession for any length of time seems to have eluded us. Our two new signings were poles apart. Torres will need a game or two to regain his confidence but David Luiz our new central defender was our best player. The rest have completely lost their way

As far as Dempsey taking the penalty was concerned. I dont think it was a bad choice. It wasn't a great penalty for sure but Murphy was having a nightmare of a game. He gave the ball away so many times, the Fulham supporters were wondering if he had a blue shirt on. Theres never any pressure on the goalkeeper so if he goes the right way - usually by luck rather than judgement - then the penalty taker always looks foolish. Even Messi, the greatest player around today, misses penalties (and I've seen him put a penalty over the bar and into row z) so don't be too harsh

Arsenal's performance against Barca last night was magnificent. There aren't many teams in the world who can match Barca for "total football". For me the best player on the pitch was Jack Wilshere, a 19 year old English player with bucket loads of technical ability and spadeloads of confidence. He was outstanding. He's gonna be the heart of our next world cup team for sure

All the more reason for him to take the penalty - he scores and it gives him the confidence for the rest of the match.

How long a ban for Gatuso? Did I really hear that they were only giving him a one match suspension?
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Bryn Mawr;1353941 wrote: All the more reason for him to take the penalty - he scores and it gives him the confidence for the rest of the match.

How long a ban for Gatuso? Did I really hear that they were only giving him a one match suspension?

There's certainly a case for that. Football is about confidence after all but on the other hand that itself can backfire. Oh the benefit of hindsight he ?

As for Gattuso, I havent heard yet about what uefa have handed down but I'd be suprised if thats all he got. Deserves a lengthy ban and thats the word on the street

According to Uefa's disciplinary procedures, Gattuso could be banned for up to eight matches if found guilty of the charge.

Read more: Gennaro Gattuso facing lengthy ban after charge over Joe Jordan headbutt | Metro.co.uk

Winston Churchill
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Bryn Mawr;1353941 wrote: All the more reason for him to take the penalty - he scores and it gives him the confidence for the rest of the match.

Joe Jordan's career included a long spell at Leeds in the early 70's. Anyone who knows about football from that era knows what kind of players evolved out of that team, so I doubt he was too flustered by Gattuso getting up close and personal. It would have bought back a few fond memories. Gattuso would have fitted quite nicely into Don Revies side

Winston Churchill
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Snowfire;1353944 wrote: Joe Jordan's career included a long spell at Leeds in the early 70's. Anyone who knows about football from that era knows what kind of players evolved out of that team, so I doubt he was too flustered by Gattuso getting up close and personal. It would have bought back a few fond memories. Gattuso would have fitted quite nicely into Don Revies side

Looked like it took him a few moments to notice he'd been nutted - they had thick skuls in those days :-)
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Snowfire;1353936 wrote: Even Messi, the greatest player around today, misses penalties (and I've seen him put a penalty over the bar and into row z) so don't be too harsh

You'll have to forgive my harshness as some of the most fundamental practices has eluded my favorite teams for as long as I can remember...

I'm a Cincinnati Bengals fan who Loves Fulham only to be as disappointed in the Confederations cup... The Cincinnati Bengals would be enough to allow you to understand my frustration hence my upset over any starting position that gives a team at least an 80% advantage as far as I'm concerned
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

K.Snyder;1353992 wrote: You'll have to forgive my harshness as some of the most fundamental practices has eluded my favorite teams for as long as I can remember...

I'm a Cincinnati Bengals fan who Loves Fulham only to be as disappointed in the Confederations cup... The Cincinnati Bengals would be enough to allow you to understand my frustration hence my upset over any starting position that gives a team at least an 80% advantage as far as I'm concerned

Well, I understand the frustration only too well and my wife will verify my mood swings after any match, whether its football, cricket or rugby. The frustration is borne of a love for the sport and in particular a love for a team. I'm getting a little more chilled over it all in my old age but it doesnt stop me wringing my hands and shouting at the TV during important matches. We all have to have a passion in something. Ours happens to be competetive sport, which demands we deal with the lows as well as celebrating the highs.

Dull it aint !

Winston Churchill
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Snowfire;1353996 wrote: Ours happens to be competetive sport,

That's because anyone else smells of elderberries and their mothers are that of a pike fish!
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Anyone disappointed/impressed with today's games?

Fulham vs Villa was a typical Fulham vs Villa game with alot of defense. I'm very happy with this years Fulham team although I'm quite hesitant to see John Riise start above Salcido but I suppose Jol knows more than I...

QPR had a shocker...

How many really think Man City have a shot at the title this year?

Who's clearly out of the league?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1365042 wrote: Anyone disappointed/impressed with today's games?

Fulham vs Villa was a typical Fulham vs Villa game with alot of defense. I'm very happy with this years Fulham team although I'm quite hesitant to see John Riise start above Salcido but I suppose Jol knows more than I...

QPR had a shocker...

How many really think Man City have a shot at the title this year?

Who's clearly out of the league?

You have to suspect QPR, West Brom and Swansea but I suspect Swansea have the best chance of staying up with either Blackburn or Wolves joining them.

I don't see City making the jump quite yet

Best of luck to the Fulham - hope you're in the top half come the end of the season.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bryn Mawr;1365055 wrote: You have to suspect QPR, West Brom and Swansea but I suspect Swansea have the best chance of staying up with either Blackburn or Wolves joining them.

I don't see City making the jump quite yet

Best of luck to the Fulham - hope you're in the top half come the end of the season.Well thank you Bryn. Speculation is Leicester City is a favorite to come up next season, perhaps losing to Reading is irrelevant...

I'm surprised you feel Norwich city will stay up given the fact they had 58 goals scored against them last season in the Championship. What I do know is this years Prem League is going to be tough...

Will Leeds come up next season?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1365152 wrote: Well thank you Bryn. Speculation is Leicester City is a favorite to come up next season, perhaps losing to Reading is irrelevant...

I'm surprised you feel Norwich city will stay up given the fact they had 58 goals scored against them last season in the Championship. What I do know is this years Prem League is going to be tough...

Will Leeds come up next season?

Leicester are talking big (about to sign a major striker from Spurs etc.) but always flatter to disapoint so I'm not holding my breath.

I did have a brainstorm and type West Brom instead of Norwich but I certainly don't see them staying up. As you say, too fragile at the back and not enough money to do anything about it. Swansea might have the game to do it though and I certainly think Wolves, Wigan and Blackburn were very lucky to survive the drop last year.

As to Leeds, one of my co-workers is a lifelong Leeds supporter and, after seeing their first match of the season, is in despair and predicting that they'll go down at the end of the season.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bryn Mawr;1365219 wrote:

As to Leeds, one of my co-workers is a lifelong Leeds supporter and, after seeing their first match of the season, is in despair and predicting that they'll go down at the end of the season.:yh_rotfl Tell your co-worker he or she needs a vacation :yh_rotfl

Anyway,..Blackburn surprises me given their success in the Premier League over the past decade...Two 6th place finishes, a 7th place finish in 07-08...What happened? They had more success than Fulham and we can see that Fulham has the talent and depth to compete in the Europa League...Is it all down to the owners of football clubs or is the majority of the blame on the managers?
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Man U made the Premier League look like a child day care league in the Uefa Champions League final last season...

I was sincerely shocked to see them defeated so comfortably...

What's this say about the Premier League in England compared to the other leagues or was this simply case of a random melt down? Or, to be incredibly forgiving, does this just simply highlight how Barcelona is that much more above every other team in the World?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1365302 wrote: :yh_rotfl Tell your co-worker he or she needs a vacation :yh_rotfl

Anyway,..Blackburn surprises me given their success in the Premier League over the past decade...Two 6th place finishes, a 7th place finish in 07-08...What happened? They had more success than Fulham and we can see that Fulham has the talent and depth to compete in the Europa League...Is it all down to the owners of football clubs or is the majority of the blame on the managers?

I genuinely feel that Blackburn's success was mainly down to having Big Sam at the helm - in the same way that the Villa owed much to Martin O'Neil.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bryn Mawr;1365355 wrote: I genuinely feel that Blackburn's success was mainly down to having Big Sam at the helm - in the same way that the Villa owed much to Martin O'Neil.

Is it safe to say that the owners of today lack the footballing perspective needed in being patient, as well as faithful to their players and managers, at the expense of making more and more money? Seems fitting to me, in all sports,..sad...
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Speaking of success...

Blackburn 4 - 3 Arsenal

Who seen that one coming? Anyone see it?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1369780 wrote: Speaking of success...

Blackburn 4 - 3 Arsenal

Who seen that one coming? Anyone see it?

Arsenal are in a bad way - highlights are on in a moment, I'll watch.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bryn Mawr;1369796 wrote: Arsenal are in a bad way - highlights are on in a moment, I'll watch.

I would love to have been in the dressing rooms at half time - the two team talks must have made such a contrast.

Blackburn were the only team in it at the start of the second half and Arsenal were in disarray. After a first half in which Arsenal should have been out of sight apart from the lack of team spirit it was a huge turnaround.

Until Arsenal learn to play as a team for each other rather than playing for themselves they will go nowhere.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bryn Mawr;1369806 wrote: Until Arsenal learn to play as a team for each other rather than playing for themselves they will go nowhere.Seems to me this has been their problem for the last 6 years(Long enough for me to follow the league).

Is Wenger up on the hot seat then?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1369821 wrote: Seems to me this has been their problem for the last 6 years(Long enough for me to follow the league).

Is Wenger up on the hot seat then?

He's looking terrified and the more insecure he's becoming the worse the team are playing.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Ok, is this year the year Man City take the glory?

It seems inevitable now. At the expense, it seems, of a couple other prolific clubs.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

K.Snyder;1370975 wrote: Ok, is this year the year Man City take the glory?

It seems inevitable now. At the expense, it seems, of a couple other prolific clubs.Well Tevez seems to want to answer that question...

Anyway...

Why in the world did Wright-Phillips go to QPR? Am I missing something here?

Why hasn't Al Fayed increased the seating at Craven Cottage? Europa League Final in 09-10 and consistently a top 10 team yet we only seat 24,000?...Not like he hasn't made alot of money at Fulham from staying up for so long and such an increase in fan base.

Fulham can beat Manchester United easily 3-0 yet remains to rival every other team with the least amount of average attendance. The stadium sells out every week, no?
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Ok, so I'm looking at some of the record statistics for the premier league and just about everything was set in stone prior to '70 with alot of records being set in the 20's and 30's...

Ridiculous stats like 60 goals in a season...

Ok, I move for the motion to dismiss all previous records held before 1970, who's with me?... Come with me - YouTube

Who's coming with me man? - YouTube
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bolton and Blackburn what the heck? Bolton with 21 goals against on 7 games are you serious?

Meanwhile I don't remember being only 7 games in and Man U and City have scored 24 and 23 goals respectively...Is this a snake under my nose or is this relatively high this early?

I look for Arsenal to at least make the Europa League but can we expect they have no shot in the Champions League this year? I think so...
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1372465 wrote: Ok, so I'm looking at some of the record statistics for the premier league and just about everything was set in stone prior to '70 with alot of records being set in the 20's and 30's...

Ridiculous stats like 60 goals in a season...

Ok, I move for the motion to dismiss all previous records held before 1970, who's with me?... Come with me - YouTube

Who's coming with me man? - YouTube

Remember, in the early days you quite often had boys against men - professional or semi-professional teams up against a local factory side (Sheffield Wednesday were so called because the players were all shopworkers who could only play on early closing day) so those sort of records could be achieved.

Now that teams are much more evenly matched it is no longer possible.

That being said, those records exist and the holders do not deserve to be struck out of history - you can discount them if you wish but leave them standing.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1372519 wrote: Bolton and Blackburn what the heck? Bolton with 21 goals against on 7 games are you serious?

Meanwhile I don't remember being only 7 games in and Man U and City have scored 24 and 23 goals respectively...Is this a snake under my nose or is this relatively high this early?

I look for Arsenal to at least make the Europa League but can we expect they have no shot in the Champions League this year? I think so...

To be fair, both the Manky teams have had exceptionally easy starts to the season :-

City

Swans at home

Bolton away

Spurs away (OK, a great result on the day)

Wigan at home

Fulham away (only managed a draw)

Everton at home

Blackburn away

United

West Brom away

Spurs at home (before Spurs started to find their feet)

Arsenal at home (Gunners were a beaten team before they took to the field)

Bolton away

Chelsea at home (again, a great result)

Stoke away (only managed a draw)

Norwich at home

Just what every team wants, an easy start to the season to get the momentum going and the player's confidence levels up.

Compare that to Arsenal's start

Newcastle away

Liverpool at home

ManU away

by the time they got to some easy matches their confidence was shot

Swansea at home

Blackburn away

Bolton at home

Spurs away

of which they've won both of the home matches and come close in both away.

Yes, I expect them to be top half and pushing for Europe, just like Liverpool were after their disastrous start last year, but you don't give everyone such a head start and then beat them into the Champion's League.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bryn Mawr;1372524 wrote: To be fair, both the Manky teams have had exceptionally easy starts to the season :-

City

Swans at home

Bolton away

Spurs away (OK, a great result on the day)

Wigan at home

Fulham away (only managed a draw)

Everton at home

Blackburn away

United

West Brom away

Spurs at home (before Spurs started to find their feet)

Arsenal at home (Gunners were a beaten team before they took to the field)

Bolton away

Chelsea at home (again, a great result)

Stoke away (only managed a draw)

Norwich at home

Just what every team wants, an easy start to the season to get the momentum going and the player's confidence levels up.

Compare that to Arsenal's start

Newcastle away

Liverpool at home

ManU away

by the time they got to some easy matches their confidence was shot

Swansea at home

Blackburn away

Bolton at home

Spurs away

of which they've won both of the home matches and come close in both away.

Yes, I expect them to be top half and pushing for Europe, just like Liverpool were after their disastrous start last year, but you don't give everyone such a head start and then beat them into the Champion's League.We'll see about Arsenal...The premier league has grown some sides that can honestly have their say in Champions league football. Tottenham, Villa, and City all 3 can be there on their day and that spells disaster for Liverpool and Arsenal. I like to think the league has developed into an intense competition throughout the entire league. Look at Stoke, where did they come from? They haven't looked back once they'd entered.

Dramatic? Perhaps. Alot of truth behind it. The top 4 is no longer a private club anymore... :yh_bigsmi

An average of over 3 goals a game is as about as confident as it gets in a league like this. Chelsea has their work cut out for them this year. :yh_wink

Drogba better shine his boots and start dancing.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1372547 wrote: We'll see about Arsenal...The premier league has grown some sides that can honestly have their say in Champions league football. Tottenham, Villa, and City all 3 can be there on their day and that spells disaster for Liverpool and Arsenal. I like to think the league has developed into an intense competition throughout the entire league. Look at Stoke, where did they come from? They haven't looked back once they'd entered.

Dramatic? Perhaps. Alot of truth behind it. The top 4 is no longer a private club anymore... :yh_bigsmi

An average of over 3 goals a game is as about as confident as it gets in a league like this. Chelsea has their work cut out for them this year. :yh_wink

Drogba better shine his boots and start dancing.

Whilst there are teams who can beat anyone on their day, to reach the top four at the end of the season you need strength in depth and that takes money and there are mighty few teams with the sort of money needed.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bryn Mawr;1372549 wrote: Whilst there are teams who can beat anyone on their day, to reach the top four at the end of the season you need strength in depth and that takes money and there are mighty few teams with the sort of money needed.It seems to me that the English Premier League has the most interest in football and I think the league is headed for more big investors and more teams challenging for the top 4. Competing for a place in the Europa league will be hit and miss given the randomness of the top 4.

With teams being good enough to consistently compete in the Champions League vying for the Europa League title can do nothing but increase the notoriety of the English Premier League.

Perhaps merely intuition but I think the Premier League will grow both in competitiveness and viewership.

Could be a good thing, all of this money...If you're optimistic
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

:wah: I hadn't even seen this headline...

New research has been carried out by leading sport business research consultancy, SPORT+MARKT, and it reaffirms that the Barclays Premier League is one of the drivers of worldwide football interest. Premier League football news from the Barclays Premier League | The most watched league in the world

I've always been very intuitive...:yh_wink
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

To follow up a bit, I find it very surprising that Fox Soccer Channel(Which is the leading channel here in the states for showing Football from around the "globe", mainly Serie A, and the English Premier League) fails to show the English Premier League matches that are playing live in the morning. They show :mad:n infomercials all the way up to 11am...

I mean how many people could prefer some garbage product over watching a live Premier League game anyway? It's the :mad:n Fox Soccer Channel ffs!

Anyway...

Oh, yes, I came on to vent about how ineffective Fulham has been playing...Wow...

I know the league is competitive but if they expect to play in the top half again this year they have to beat Wolves, Newcastle, West Brom and Stoke.

Granted Stoke obviously showed up to win yesterday and deserved it but that doesn't excuse Fulham.

It's early, hopefully they can regroup, and they do have some fantastic young players in Briggs and I believe it was Kerim Frei I seen flying up and down the left wing in an earlier match...

If they don't get it together we might be praying come April and May...Thought we were past this crap...:p
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

I've always been curious about home field "advantage" in soccer primarily because, from my experience, I've seen far more home teams win than in any other sport. Without suggesting this is only true in soccer just that I consistently see minnow teams win against bigger clubs most people expect to be the victors only to go home without a point.

Alot of people speculate that this is due to the away team stress associated with traveling, field uniqueness, or ultimately crowd noise, and through my discovery it appears none of these factors are true, or at least not in the same context.

Crowd noise seems to be a very large determining factor but not as a means to energize the home team rather to deflate the referee's confidence...

Briefly, officials conform their calls to social pressure created by the home crowd. Officials use crowd noise to help them resolve uncertainty in making a call, resulting in more calls going the way the home crowd wants them to go. Studies done for or discussed in the the story showed a range of calls in a range of sports that systematically favor home teams--extra time, fouls, and yellow and red cards in soccer; called (non-swinging) balls and strikes in baseball; close plays on the bases in baseball; traveling in basketball; and penalties and fumbles in football. The psychological effect is more pronounced in well-attended games (according to the story, in 2007, the Italian government ordered teams with deficient security to play games without spectators; 21 games were played in empty stadiums and a study by two economists found dramatic decreases in home-team benefits in fouls, yellow cards, and red cards).Sports Law Blog

As many may know I must get to the bottom of this because not knowing is torture when having to watch me beloved Fulham gasp for air every time they leave Craven Cottage. Oh the misery!!!!!!...
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1372778 wrote: I've always been curious about home field "advantage" in soccer primarily because, from my experience, I've seen far more home teams win than in any other sport. Without suggesting this is only true in soccer just that I consistently see minnow teams win against bigger clubs most people expect to be the victors only to go home without a point.

Alot of people speculate that this is due to the away team stress associated with traveling, field uniqueness, or ultimately crowd noise, and through my discovery it appears none of these factors are true, or at least not in the same context.

Crowd noise seems to be a very large determining factor but not as a means to energize the home team rather to deflate the referee's confidence...

Sports Law Blog

As many may know I must get to the bottom of this because not knowing is torture when having to watch me beloved Fulham gasp for air every time they leave Craven Cottage. Oh the misery!!!!!!...

Totally agree but I would go further and suggest that refs can be intimidated by the big teams even when they're playing away - ManU and Chelsea do appear to get the rub of the green more often than most.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bryn Mawr;1372819 wrote: Totally agree but I would go further and suggest that refs can be intimidated by the big teams even when they're playing away - ManU and Chelsea do appear to get the rub of the green more often than most.It was mentioned in the Fulham vs Stoke game that Stoke City FC has the loudest home crowd in the league. I can't help but wonder if this is primarily the reason behind their obvious success, without taking anything away from the players of course. I'd looked at their statistics last season and they won 10 games at home and accounted for 34 points out of their total 46. Good enough to see them win more games at home than Tottenham. Stoke City!

I've never seen a Stoke game that I can remember to view for myself how biased the referees may be so I'm curious if anyone coincidentally has seen Stoke play at home and just how many calls are blown in their favor.

Without taking anything away from the players of course...

Bastards! :yh_bigsmi
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Man City 6-1 Man U

Anyone see the game?

What in the world happened?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1373316 wrote: Man City 6-1 Man U

Anyone see the game?

What in the world happened?

One sent off but even before that City were all over them.

The wheels finally came off, now the rebuilding begins - who knows why but the signs have been there all season.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Man City retains their 5 point lead. Meanwhile a barn-burner at Stamford Bridge, wow huh?

5 against Chelsea at home? Impressive...Cech though should have had at least two saved from where I was sitting, no?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1373779 wrote: Man City retains their 5 point lead. Meanwhile a barn-burner at Stamford Bridge, wow huh?

5 against Chelsea at home? Impressive...Cech though should have had at least two saved from where I was sitting, no?

Arsenal matched them this weekend to continue their turnaround in form - an impressive match from the forwards point of view.

The question on everybody's lips though is - how could that possibly have been a penalty?
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Bryn Mawr;1373879 wrote: Arsenal matched them this weekend to continue their turnaround in form - an impressive match from the forwards point of view.

The question on everybody's lips though is - how could that possibly have been a penalty?You mean this penalty? N3-3B - Videa

Perhaps the ref had a preconception leading him to assume Nzonzi did everything short of knifing the guy in the back...

Actually, they were at Carrow road,..it was the mix of crowd noise and that sea of canary yellow that influenced his decision.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

K.Snyder;1373925 wrote: You mean this penalty? N3-3B - Videa

Perhaps the ref had a preconception leading him to assume Nzonzi did everything short of knifing the guy in the back...

Actually, they were at Carrow road,..it was the mix of crowd noise and that sea of canary yellow that influenced his decision.

That's the one - handball? The guy didn't have a clue where the ball was any was only interested in telling the ref just how badly he'd been fouled.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

eplmatches.com is usually reliable but it seems the link to the video I'd posted has been taken down. Anyway,..I'd like to have another look at it...

Perhaps it will be up later...
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

I'd recently sat on my back porch enjoying the site and sounds of an extremely large flock of birds nestled in my trees at the far edges of my property. There chirps performed in unison was a sound that intrigued me...

It was not a great deal of time that had passed before they'd all sprung from their perches in as due haste as I'd ever seen of any regimen as large as this. The roar of their flapping wings was a deep and alarming pitch resembling that of a 25 ton dump truck screaming down the highway at 75 mph...

Their sudden burst in to what appeared to be an instinctive mode of immediate survival startled me so much I couldn't help but to turn in all directions in a state of utter panic that I had a hard time relating it to...

It was then that I realized that Fulham wasn't playing that day and no one could have possibly scored on them which become my only salvation and what ultimately followed was a constant reassurance that everything would be ok
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Newcastle's next 3 games are against Man City, Man U, and then Chelsea...

Sorry casty wascy but I expect their brilliant results thus far in the season will soon be met with equally as quick of a downfall...

Anyone think they'll manage a tie in two of those three matches? A single win will probably see them stay comfortable in the table for a while as there three games after that I believe are against Norwich, Swansea, and then WBA, which are not a given either...

For a bit of fun and perspective where will Newcastle be at the end? 10th? 8th? 15th? Champions? relegated?
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

England to face Spain today in around 4 hours time...Capello is sending out a young squad it appears...Is Spain doing the same?

USA lost to France 0 - 1 yesterday...I have to say that the US have only won one game since Klinsmann has taken over but I honestly like how they have played so far...
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

On a side note, I know I'm supposed to hate Chelsea with extreme prejudice but I watched a bit of their game vs Blackburn the other day and their direct style of play is very attractive...

What style of play attracts "you" the most?

Which team in the world do "you" think plays the most entertaining football?

Which team in the UK plays attractive football who is not one of the top clubs? I know this question seems a bit contradictory but I refuse to think it's not possible...
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

England defeated Spain 1-0 yesterday...I know a friendly is "only" a friendly but I believe it was Ian Darke that mentioned how friendlies aren't friendlies anymore, they're competitive...

With as many teams becoming more and more talented it seems absolutely every game is important when considering a rise to the top of the chain that I would assume is much more difficult in today's game...

So, congrats to England on a well earned confidence booster...
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

On a side note,(To continue me little blog here :yh_bigsmi) I think that confidence plays a huge role in football.

Beginning to play football I realized just how technical the game is and that if we're in our positions consistently as well as being incredibly precise with the fundamental aspects then the game can truly be very leveled at that point. It's when individual players become incredibly confident in their ability that they attack regularly keeping the other team on the defensive. Once this is achieved it's very hard for the other team to break free of this defensive mentality...

If we have individual players that can gel together with their confidence then we have a very good team...I also have learned how incredibly important tactics are and that the managers of football are much much more impacting than I once thought...

I also think that it's very hard for individuals to bring themselves to take a single initiative further adding to such a boring exchange of attack...Mostly because one single mistake can cost a team dearly...

Oh the beautiful game! :yh_bigsmi
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Alot of World Cup qualifying and friendlies kicking off today...

USA play Slovenia 2 hours and 10 minutes...England play Sweden in 5 hours...Bobby Z! Bobby Z! Hope he does well...He had to win my trust over after his first season with Fulham being a complete waste of time but I do have to say the guy is a powerhorse and holds the ball up as much as we can ask for atm...Go Bobby Z! Bobby Zamora eyes chance to score England's 2,000th goal - ESPN Soccernet

WCQ in Conmebol is pitting Colombia vs Argentina at 4pm et. A game to watch perhaps...I've watched Colombia recently and they have some tremendous talent.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

K.Snyder;1375186 wrote: Newcastle's next 3 games are against Man City, Man U, and then Chelsea...

Sorry casty wascy but I expect their brilliant results thus far in the season will soon be met with equally as quick of a downfall...

Anyone think they'll manage a tie in two of those three matches? A single win will probably see them stay comfortable in the table for a while as there three games after that I believe are against Norwich, Swansea, and then WBA, which are not a given either...

For a bit of fun and perspective where will Newcastle be at the end? 10th? 8th? 15th? Champions? relegated?Man City 3 - 1 Newcastle...

I can't say it shocks me to see Man City score 3 against them but did anyone see the game? How well did Newcastle play?

Return to “Wide World of Sports”